Internet Download Manager

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

Internet Download Manager

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

So I tried IDM and found it useful. Naturally I wanted to uninstall it after the Trial Period expired, remove all traces from my computer, then install the new version and get another 30 day free trial period. Multiple sites from Google search promised this was possible. I did everything multiple times, but still it somehow knows I already used IDM!

1) Uninstall IDM extensions in browsers.
2) Do a FULL uninstall of IDM through Control Panel, RevoUninstaller or CCleaner. (Did all three.) This involves a computer restart.

3) Use Regedit to remove Registry items for Internet Download Manager and Download Manager.
(In HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software DownloadManager, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Internet Download Manager, and doing CRTL+F for "Internet Download Manager".

4) Delete Internet Download Manager folder in c:Program Files.
5) Restart computer.
6) Check if there are still traces and delete if necessary.
7) I downloaded the new installation file with a VPN so I was using a different IP.
8) It installs, and then announces that my 30 days are up!

I went through this process multiple times. Obviously there are some traces hidden on my computer somewhere, but I can not find them! I know for certain there are IDM users here, and likely some who know how to use it free. Is there some new trick to do it, now that the old way does not seem to work? If you don't want to admit to it publicly, please PM me!

(If your trick is "Just buy it", don't bother with the PM. But thanks anyway.)
goku33

Re: Internet Download Manager

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

My guess would be that it’s not Tracks left on your computer but that IDM basically fingerprinted your hardware (e.g. MAC Hardware address) or some other information from your mother board etc (serial numbers etc.) but this isn’t my expertise.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Oh ho, that is an idea! After reading your post I did a Google search, and sure enough there are results for "how to spoof your MAC address". Maybe some day when I am motivated I will try that before another IDM install attempt.

While I am sure there are people who pay for IDM, I am just as sure that there are others who use hacked copies. I will never do THAT again for any software, however. Too risky for me.
sheencvb

Post by sheencvb »   1 likes

if you format your pc. you can get more 30 free days.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

So, force myself to reinstall every other program I use just to get this ONE back? Every 30 days? Thanks, but no thanks. I have better things to do than sit and wait for the software I need to get reinstalled. At least now I know what it takes!

Now, if I had a Raspberry Pi devoted just to downloading, then it would be perfectly reasonable!
GodlessOne

Post by GodlessOne »   2 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:34 pm So, force myself to reinstall every other program I use just to get this ONE back? Every 30 days? Thanks, but no thanks. I have better things to do than sit and wait for the software I need to get reinstalled. At least now I know what it takes!
Sorry for responding to an old thread, but I just found this forum.

If you're still trying to get around the 30-day limit for IDM and you don't want to reinstall Windows every 30 days, what you could do is use VirtualBox to create a Windows guest VM. This would require a semi-beefy system because you'd be borrowing resources from the host computer. You can install Windows 10 into a 40GB VDI (virtual disk image) and have about 5GB or so left to play with. Once you have the Windows guest installed and set up the way you want it (without IDM), shut down the guest, then make a copy of the VDI file. Boot up the guest again, then install IDM. After 30 days, delete the VDI, copy the backup copy and rename it to the original VDI filename, and then install IDM again. 30 days passes, rinse and repeat. In theory this should work for any time-limited software.

If you've never used VirtualBox, I can help guide you through creating the VM and the settings for it. First though you can find VirtualBox @ https://www.virtualbox.org and you'd need a Windows ISO image.

Note that I'm a Linux user, but the setup process is basically the same.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

GodlessOne wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:21 am Sorry for responding to an old thread, but I just found this forum.
No reason to be sorry, we are always happy for new contributions! This thread is not even that old. We get new posts in threads that have not been updated in 15 YEARS.

I appreciate your ideas. It DOES sound like the kind of convoluted advice that I would expect from a Linux user! :lol: You are a special breed, very accomplished with software trickery.
After 30 days, delete the VDI, copy the backup copy and rename it to the original VDI filename, and then install IDM again. 30 days passes, rinse and repeat. In theory this should work for any time-limited software.
So, IDM is fooled into thinking the copy is a new Windows and eligible for a new installation of IDM, every time this is done? Does it only work with Windows 10? Or do you suggest that because (maybe) Windows 10 is now free? I am just guessing on this, I do not know one way or another. Ten or more years ago I had a dual-boot setup on one of my previous PCs where the alternate boot was Linux. So this idea is not TOTALLY alien to me! I had to give it up because I just was not technically-accomplished enough to get the full value out of Linux, beyond what I already could get from Windows. I needed something simpler and easier.

I do not think I myself will do this because of all the work involved in both installing VirtualBox and acquiring a Windows 10 ISO image in the first place, as well as going into the alternate Windows just to download a file. (I presume this means I would have to install my VPN in the alternate Windows as well, and login to it when I switch ...) However, there are likely other people here who WILL want to do this, so your advice is definitely appreciated.

And ... WELCOME TO FLM!! Glad you could join the party! :icon_party :icon_party