TV series recommendations

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
pillowbaker

Re: TV series recommendations

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Hi ygl!
Might I recommend a TV series to you and everyone as well? It's a Canadian miniseries called The Odyssey (1992) that takes place in a fantastical "Downworld" that is entirely run by children and young teens, and is entirely devoid of adults. The setting is quite lively, colorful and rich in lore, and has it's own tribes and governments and lonestar heroes. It first starts out as a journey to get home, but becomes an complete adventure as the characters explore the world. Best part: as a miniseries, it is not episodic and each episodes follows the last, allowing for a well developed story and recurring characters. I RARELY have seen this in anything made for teens and children.

It ran for 3 seasons and for many years, the only way to watch it was by random reruns discovered through old fashioned channel flipping, or VHS transfers of only satisfactory quality. In recent years, the company that developed it has allowed it to be freely viewed on the Canadian Encore+ youtube channel in full 1080p HD! While looking much better than the previously available digitized VHS, the quality is by no means that of a fully remaster. But old look rather adds to its immersive qualities. (edit: i've learned that the apparent quality here may be an upscale but officially done and done well considering what they likely had for source material)

Check out all episodes nicely organized here!
Last edited by pillowbaker on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Great stuff and it was aired here in europe what seems like ages ago, I've seen it, but never expected to be on YT!
Thanks for the heads up! :D :icon_1dancingban

Don't go quietly into the night.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Glad to see someone's heard of it! Hopefully someday I'll spend the time to go through and manually download all the episodes to archive them.

I remember the experience of managing to catch an episode on TV every once in a while way back. The feeling was magical. When I was a young'un the found the show to be entrancing. I still vaguely remember an episode where one of the inhabitants was required to leave the world because he was 16. I thought, wow, 16, he's ollld!
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

I'm not sure if all of them are TV Series only, but here are my favs of the last years...

• Good Luck Charlie (2010)
Starring: Mia Talerico (who's growing up each Season)
I'm not the biggest fan of series of this type, but Mia Talerico quickly drew me under the spell of her cute existence. It's a pity that you couldn't see her elsewhere, except in this series. You can watch it at Disney+

• Emergence (2019)
Starring: Alexa Swinton
Sadly this Series has only one Season because it was not so successfully. I can't understand because I like it very much. You can watch it on Disney+

• The 4400 (2004)
Starring: Conchita Campbell
Was planed as Mini Series but it was so successfully that they making more three more seasons. In Germany you can watch Season 1 & 2 on Magenta TV. I'm sure that all Seasons would be available on Paramount Plus, who is not yet available in Germany. It looks like that it's also available on Netflix in the US.

• American Horror Story - Hotel
Starring: Shree Crooks
After I watched Captain Fantastic I was fascinated from Shree. So I look around if she have some other projects and yep, one was in the Hotel Season of AHS.
Not a trailer, but a beautiful Shree from the Premiere

• Nesthäkchen (1984)
Starring: Kathrin Toboll
A story about a little girl who living in the good old times of Berlin in the year 1910 to 1914.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBF9iq__M70
[Image]
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   1 likes

ferdi111 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:00 pm Flame Trees of Thika which I recommended in 2021 seems to be available with closed captions here https://www.amazon.com/The-Flame-Trees- ... B06ZY8P851 but I don't know how to get rid of that trial afterwards and if it is possible to download captions only
Discovered recently that it has been torrented You can ask The.Flame.Trees.of.Thika.S01.AMZN.WEBRip.DDP2.0.x264-squalor[rartv] from some RARBG clone or magnet