[REL] Jakten på tidskristallen (2017) [TV Series]

pillowbaker

[REL] Jakten på tidskristallen (2017) [TV Series]

Post by pillowbaker »   16 likes

Jakten på tidskristallen aka The Hunt for the Time Crystal - 24 episodes, around 14 minutes each.

Credit to the uploader of the entire series + subs at uloz.

[Image]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7628456/

Part of the Swedish Julkalendern series going strong since the 60s (Sveriges Televisions julkalender). Appears to have been produced by the SVT company, in collaboration with the NRK company. It is very light on the Christmas aspect in case that disinterests you.

Link to site on the svt page.

This is a Swedish TV series about 3 kids, Asrin, Lima and Max, who are mysteriously recruited into the acclaimed Academy of the Future, and become involved with whacky professor Styregaard and her secret project to stop a maniacal plot that's already long in motion to-- well I'd say try out a few episodes to find out. Ok, mostly the plot is a bit basic, but the series was definitely fun. There are several entertaining and heartwarming moments as the team figure out how to get by in their new school and figure out the difficult task of travelling through "portals". The narrative was completely carried by the kids (and their kooky professor), especially centering on the lead Asrin, who I am sure you'll agree is just adorable! She is just so cute and so very tiny, she is often dwarfed in her costumes and even by random items in the environment of the setting.

[Image]
[Image]

The show is pretty easy and low-commitment. Once again, it is extremely light on the Christmas aspect. It is primarily a little sci-fi show.

So, I've been working on this release for quite a while now. All the encoding/sharing/subbing work had been done by someone else at uloz, so what took me so long? Well I combed through every sentence of the machine-translated subs to hopefully help make things more enjoyable. Though deepL took care of the vast majority of the work, there were several things in every episodes that needed fixing or clarification. I am no speaker of Swedish, so some of these things took a bit of extra research or lateral thinking. Subs for all 24 episodes tuned up, and there were fixes for every one. Some of the more hysterical edits I've catalogued for your enjoyment below.

I took 276 screenshots of this series. Here are some. Taken out of order.
[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

But first, here's some of the hilarious dialogue I've come across while watching the show, if you'd like.
Spoiler:

- Your arm is a tentacle.
- An allergic reaction! It's perfectly normal... I hope.

- But it's going to eat us!
- It just wants to help us.
- Oh, good!
- What are you rubbing on yourself?
- I don't know. The monster gave it to me.
- Marinade. You're marinating yourself.
- I like this jungle life. It's easy and stress-free.

- Tomorrow we travel to the center of the universe. It'll be fun!

- 273 degrees below zero?
- Huddle close, huddle close. Warm up on the plutonium rod!!

- The center of the universe is not a playhouse. Top form is required!

- A young, scary girl with an electric noodle? Have you been drinking the diesel oil again?
- You have! Ugh! You know how you get when you drink that stuff!
Here is some translation nerdy stuff.
Spoiler:

Some of the modifications to the subs weren't simply a matter of rephrasing dialogue or researching a better translation of idioms which eluded even the many alternatives provided by deepL and google. Some were like these puzzles and thought experiments that one is given with only the layout of a scene, that you must figure out by intuition. Some of these resulted in moments of wonderful epiphany. Others were figured out by research into some unique cultural elements, one of which was told to me, completely coincidentally, by Mr. Night before I even started this project.

The lines originally:
- Is that Santa?
- That is NOT the plot.

I thought they were outlandishly breaking the 4th wall. Almost let it pass, but they don't so that anywhere else in the series. Looked at the Swedish and saw tomten. Hmmm, where had I heard that word before? Google and deepL still wanted to say plot, but as in plot of land. DeepL offered Santa as an alternative, but was inconsistent between the two lines. Looked up Swedish tomten and then it hit me! Max and Lima only say tomten, which have become associated with Christmas as jultomten, so I opted to leave it as tomten. It is the only time I included a footnote "Swedish Christmas gnome", not entirely the case but close enough in this case. Funny, tomten are associated with Santa, and as Night mentioned, are normally helpful creatures, but, say if you've been bad, Santa might only add you to his naughty list; a tomten, if offended, might straight up kill you (and your kids).

The subs, which I inferred were deepL machine translated, had the kids and adults eating louse balls (louse, the singular form of lice in English) throughout the show! In one episode, it bluntly states lice balls. What the heck, Sweden? Alternates on google and deepL mostly pointed to the same thing, though deepL also gave lollipops, but they weren't eating those either. No results until I broke away from machine-trans and found the answer on recipe sites which consistently showed lussebullar as "Swedish saffron buns", which was verified in a later episode. Strange, this word eludes google trans, deepL, interglot, and wiktionary, etc, but a general google search tell you right away. Go figure!

Other times, you get these dialogue lines in perfect English, but don't seem to match up with what's going on. One of the most eureka moments for me was involving more of a thought experiment. The scene has detective dismissively questioning a school supervisor about where the "control tower" went. The supervisor oddly answers with a name and reports that she turned herself into a nursing home. I could tell something was missing here, and looking at the Swedish gave Styretorn. No matter where I went, it was translated as control or steering tower. A general google search resulted in practically nothing, which led me to think that this was also in incredibly rare Swedish word? How does deepL translate it, when the word isn't present in any Swedish dictionary. Well, you most probably already know better than I do, Swedish language has this neat ability to create many unique and long words via compounding. It would likely be unrealistic for a dictionary to contain every potentially possible combination. But this still isn't the answer, as the detective's question and its answer don't make much sense.

After rereading and rewatching several times, it registers! It isn't a matter of meaning, but attention. The detective is only half-listening to the supervisor's far-fetched answers, and mistakes the name of the persons being discussed and garbles out Styretorn, which also happens to be a compound word. "So, where did you say Instructor Styretorn went to?"

Other oddities:

- It's a misconception.
DRIVEWAYS cause avalanches.

to

- That's a misconception.
EXPLOSIONS cause avalanches.

and
"Hangman's panda" to "Dry-aged panda"

Entire series available on uloz. Not my rips. Credit goes to uloz uploader for video files and initial sub release. If you don't mind, please help me source, wherever you you download from. :oops:

I am happy to share over emule. I've never tried sourcing this many files before. Go ahead and load up, I'll do my best. :mrgreen:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [238.62 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [237.47 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [237.36 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [233.17 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [233.20 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [235.71 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [229.58 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [240.01 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [234.72 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [239.23 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [237.52 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [237.39 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [236.05 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [238.17 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [236.68 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [234.38 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [234.96 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [237.00 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [232.74 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [235.70 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [232.06 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [233.01 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [237.68 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [208.41 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [81.3 Kb]

Jakten på tidskristallen (2017) subs eng&swe (fixed - flm).7z
EDIT: oh after all this work I forgot that there's a slight issue with the last episode, number 24. Near the end of the episode, the audio glitches a bit and jumps ahead exactly 12 seconds. Honestly, I knew about it first and then forgot to fix once I finished work on the subs, which I was editing until the last second before release. I'll fix up ep 24 soon. I could use more experience with mvkmerge anyways. :P
EDIT 2: episode 24 fixed, thanks to Night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Jakten på tidskristallen (2017) [TV Series]

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Thank you pillowbaker! This series should be good fun. I can totally relate to the joys of translating and correcting Swedish subtitles, so I truly appreciate the epic amount of work put into doing 24 episodes. Here I am super happy that someone else has taken care of it all for me, so I can just sit back and enjoy the show! :mrgreen:

"translation nerdy stuff": Like you did, in some of my own subtitles I opted to leave tomten as tomten.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thanks, pillowbaker! :x

Looks like a bunch of work you put in it.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   8 likes

Thank you pillowbaker, this was a lot of fun! I took my time with the first half of the series, because I was also watching other series at the time. Our young heroes also spent much of that time seemingly putzing around not accomplishing their mission. (It's a Christmas season series, they have to stretch it out for nearly the whole month.) The second half ramped up the action (and the humor), so I binged all 12 episodes remaining in one go. There are LOTS of movie and pop culture references that amused me highly.

I immediately recognized octogenarian Björn Gustafson in a bit part as Allan, who incites and leads the revolting revolution at the retirement home in episode 17. He is a prolific character actor, but I know him best as farmhand Alfred from Emil i Lönneberga. Gotta love that guy!
pillowbaker wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:33 am EDIT: oh after all this work I forgot that there's a slight issue with the last episode, number 24. Near the end of the episode, the audio glitches a bit and jumps ahead exactly 12 seconds.
Good news! I found a replacement version for this episode with same quality video and audio that is COMPLETE and synced throughout the episode. Pillowbaker's English subtitles sync exactly to it also. Here it is uploaded to uloz:

https://ulozto.net/file/4JNDuJSkAzi2/ja ... ?_fid=wkfb

720p Swedish with optional Swedish subtitles:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [208.41 Mb]

(Use pillowbaker's English subtitles, already synced.)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:49 pm Thank you pillowbaker, this was a lot of fun!
Thanks so much, Night! And thank you for watching! I know there's only so much time in the day/month, and I know I'm not the best at it, but I appreciate you watching it!

I took my time with the first half of the series, because I was also watching other series at the time. Our young heroes also spent much of that time seemingly putzing around not accomplishing their mission. (It's a Christmas season series, they have to stretch it out for nearly the whole month.) The second half ramped up the action (and the humor), so I binged all 12 episodes remaining in one go. There are LOTS of movie and pop culture references that amused me highly.
I ended up doing the same, just a few episodes, when I could sneak them in. But the last 10 I watched at a steady pace. You're right about stretching the show a bit to make an episode for every day of advent. By the second blundered trip, I was like wha? wrong planet again?! Then looked at remaining episode count and then I kinda figured. At least each one had some pretty good moments. I imagine they wanted the viewer to have that initial reaction, too.

I have downloaded I think all of your Astrid Lindgren TV series captures, including Emil and most recently Pippi Lanstrumpf! I very much look forward to enjoying all of these!

Good news! I found a replacement version for this episode with same quality video and audio that is COMPLETE and synced throughout the episode. Pillowbaker's English subtitles sync exactly to it also. Here it is uploaded to uloz:

https://ulozto.net/file/4JNDuJSkAzi2/ja ... ?_fid=wkfb

(Use pillowbaker's English subtitles, already synced.)
Wow thanks for fixing my mess up, Night! To be honest, I haven't quite figured out fixing audio in mkvmerge yet... It is very kind of you to help with that.

I should note, I only edited the subs from a mostly finished state. Major subwork was done by the original production company and then someone else posted the initial auto-translation. ;) I know you know that, but just for anyone else reading.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:06 am Wow thanks for fixing my mess up, Night! To be honest, I haven't quite figured out fixing audio in mkvmerge yet... It is very kind of you to help with that.
It was not your mess up, it was just how the available file was! Maybe it was originally captured from a live broadcast and the connection blipped.

In this case, mkvmerge would NOT have helped unless we found a complete audio source in an "inferior" video file and wanted to mux it into the existing good video. I do that all the time. For example, if I had found a Swedish language file with Russian hardsubs. There were some for other episodes but not this one. (Odd that they did not do their usual dubbing, but whatever.)

My preference was to find at least a better audio version rather than edit the existing file. It was nice only having to search for one episode rather than the whole series. At vk.com I found a version where someone took the file from uloz and edited out the section of video that matched the missing audio (doing the hard work for us!), so that the video and audio jump ahead together. This only lost one line of dialog so it was a decent solution. All that would be necessary was moving the remaining English subtitle lines back 12 seconds, very easy.

Youtube had a slightly lower quality video with complete audio, but the audio had annoying static. I did not want to listen to that.

One option that I left as a last resort was to edit the blipped audio in Audacity to insert a 12-second silent segment where it jumps and then mux it back in with the complete video. I do muxing all the time but audio editing rarely, so I really did NOT want to do this. It would be easy for audio engineers and musicians but a lot of work for me!

Fortunately, I found a beautiful copy at Dailymotion: 720p with clean and complete audio, and it had the same timing as the original so I did not have to resync the English subtitles! It did not even have any TV logos! All I did was mux in the Swedish subtitles (with the correct character set) so it matched the rest of the uloz files.
I should note, I only edited the subs from a mostly finished state.
I know how big that "only" is! Machine translations have improved tremendously and I can not live without them, but correcting them into a smoothly flowing and sensible translation takes hours, especially when the person doing it does not really know the source language! I noted when watching the series that I was NOT confronted with dialog that left me bewildered. It all made sense. Your effort is very much appreciated!

(Even the line "Warm up on the plutonium rod" made perfect sense in context.)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 am In this case, mkvmerge would NOT have helped unless we found a complete audio source in an "inferior" video file and wanted to mux it into the existing good video. I do that all the time. For example, if I had found a Swedish language file with Russian hardsubs. There were some for other episodes but not this one. (Odd that they did not do their usual dubbing, but whatever.)

My preference was to find at least a better audio version rather than edit the existing file. It was nice only having to search for one episode rather than the whole series. At vk.com I found a version where someone took the file from uloz and edited out the section of video that matched the missing audio (doing the hard work for us!), so that the video and audio jump ahead together. This only lost one line of dialog so it was a decent solution. All that would be necessary was moving the remaining English subtitle lines back 12 seconds, very easy.
Heh, I honestly thought I could load it up in mvkmerge and clip and move. Thanks for the explanation of how to do it properly! Right now, I am only :geek:, hopefully of these days I can graduate to --> :ugeek:

Fortunately, I found a beautiful copy at Dailymotion: 720p with clean and complete audio, and it had the same timing as the original so I did not have to resync the English subtitles! It did not even have any TV logos! All I did was mux in the Swedish subtitles (with the correct character set) so it matched the rest of the uloz files
I wonder if the videos at dailymotion might be more desirable than the ones from uloz. Without the TV watermark. I mean, I am thinking only for completionism's sake. Grabbing stuff off dailymotion is pretty easy. I might look into this.

I know how big that "only" is! Machine translations have improved tremendously and I can not live without them, but correcting them into a smoothly flowing and sensible translation takes hours, especially when the person doing it does not really know the source language! I noted when watching the series that I was NOT confronted with dialog that left me bewildered. It all made sense. Your effort is very much appreciated!
(Even the line "Warm up on the plutonium rod" made perfect sense in context.)
Heh, thank you. True, it was quite the endeavor.