[REL] Bilitis (1977)

mexlink

Re: [REL] Bilitis (1977)

Post by mexlink »   44 likes

Oops, just realized that I didn't post the emule link for the English sub. Here it is:

Like this post to see ed2k links  [50.9 Kb]
lunastar2021

Post by lunastar2021 »   0 likes

one of the most beautiful films in the world i like the dancer in green
lunastar2021

hamilton's best film
lunastar2021

Definitely the best Hamilton film out there
lunastar2021

is there a making off?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

lunastar2021 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:32 am is there a making off?
The CLOSEST you will get to a behind-the-scenes look is the book "Hamilton's Movie Bilitis: A Photographic Scrapbook From the Movie", selling here among other places:

https://www.amazon.com/Hamiltons-Movie- ... 0918696011

I have not seen it myself but I expect it is made up of images carefully selected by David Hamilton. I can not imagine him allowing anything that would destroy the "magic" of his movies. He was all about appearance and artifice.

As for a video, I would say that is NOT LIKELY. A making-of or behind-the-scenes video is almost always something made by a major studio promoting one of its releases, and this is not a major studio film. Independent filmmakers like Iván Noel sometimes made such videos, but he controlled his movies completely and did everything, including selling them himself.

Even so, I looked into the various blu-ray editions that have been released over the years. Extras on the recent U.S. release include a booklet, an audio commentary by critics, and interview with the camera operator. The Australian release has a CD music soundtrack. The French version has a booklet, interview with the camera operator, and the CD music soundtrack.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:41 pmAs for a video, I would say that is NOT LIKELY. A making-of or behind-the-scenes video is almost always something made by a major studio promoting one of its releases, and this is not a major studio film. Independent filmmakers like Iván Noel sometimes made such videos, but he controlled his movies completely and did everything, including selling them himself.

The era of DVD really marked the beginning of BTS featurettes and deleted scenes/extended scenes/alternate endings being released to the public on a regular basis. Material is now routinely shot during production, and cut scenes retained, for the disc release.

For films made in the early 90's or before, being able to retroactively create those special features depends on how much original film the studio keeps in its vault. With some studios and some movies it's a lot. You could put together an extended and re-edited cut from this material. There may even be footage of the cast and crew goofing around on set.

Other times all that survives is the final theatrical print and nothing else. If the main cast or the director is still around, they may do interviews. But you're not going to get any behind the scenes stuff. My guess is, anything along those lines that may still exist is in David Hamilton's attic - or wherever it was moved after his suicide. We're never likely to see any of it.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Laurent Bouzereau IS GOD!!!! Beginning in the 1990s laserdisc era he created feature-length documentaries on films from the 1960s and 70s. Many of them were from Universal Studios, so he had a wealth of vintage material to include with his more recent retrospective interviews. He made the BEST bonus-feature material EVER! Some of it I even watched twice.

He continued in the DVD era and is still going now, progressing to more recent movies. Other film experts thought they could do the same thing, but no, they pretty much all SUCK! They are the reason that many viewers avoid disc extras like poison; many of them range from tedious to just plain BAD. Oh Laurent, I always cheered when I saw your name in the credits!

Give Laurent all of David's leftover film and let him interview David's pissed-off former girlfriends / collaborators, and we could have an interesting documentary. :twisted:
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:26 amThey are the reason that many viewers avoid disc extras like poison; many of them range from tedious to just plain BAD. Oh Laurent, I always cheered when I saw your name in the credits!

The extras on discs are all over the map in terms of quality. You never know what you're going to get. Realistically, you'll be disappointed 8 times out of 10.

Night457 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:26 amGive Laurent all of David's leftover film and let him interview David's pissed-off former girlfriends / collaborators, and we could have an interesting documentary. :twisted:

If we got total access to David Hamilton's private collection of film, video, and still images, I guarantee there'd be some truly jaw dropping stuff in there. I like the idea of splicing that material with interviews of his models and ex-girlfriends. Plus I still want to know who the hell Monica Broeke is (probably not her real name) and it would be cool to track down some of the other girls too, hear from them how they ended up working with David, what the experience was like, all that. Interesting documentary indeed. 8-)
Oneironaut

Post by Oneironaut »   5 likes

Bilitis in 4K HDR in april. Hopefully more Hamilton films get the full 4K upgrade.
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bilitis- ... ay/330736/