Forcing a download in eMule

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
DreamScape

Re: Forcing a download in eMule

Post by DreamScape »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:19 am Sorry to be off topic for one moment, but DreamScape, are there any of those Danish Christmas specials that you would recommend here at FLM?
Oh man, you're going to expose me as a someone with vastly more series than I have watched.

Here are some Christmas Calendars I can recommend that I have seen.

Tidsrejsen (Danish)
LasseMajas detektivbyrå (Swedish)
Stjernestøv (Norwegian)
Kristiania magiske tivolitheater (Norwegian)

I was going to get around at some point to list what I have, to see if there were any people were interested in.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

DreamScape wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:37 am Oh man, you're going to expose me as a someone with vastly more series than I have watched.
Oh I believe there are a fair number of members here with the same status, myself included.

Here are some Christmas Calendars I can recommend that I have seen.

Tidsrejsen (Danish)
LasseMajas detektivbyrå (Swedish)
Stjernestøv (Norwegian)
Kristiania magiske tivolitheater (Norwegian)

I was going to get around at some point to list what I have, to see if there were any people were interested in.
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for those that you've mentioned.

On topic: I can also say that, short term, I haven't noticed much difference in emule's behavior after I set an download to high priority. Also, when I set my releases to release status, I also don't notice any change in emule's behavior. It seems to give equal upload to everything, even those item I set to very low priority.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:23 pm Also, when I set my releases to release status, I also don't notice any change in emule's behavior. It seems to give equal upload to everything, even those item I set to very low priority.
Yeah! And I thought I was trippin'!
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:30 pm Yeah! And I thought I was trippin'!
I know it's not the right thing to say, but I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one. I still set them to release out of forced habit, just in case.

The only way I've been able to prioritize bandwidth for releases is by finally sitting down and whittling down my shared folder, which up until just recently, had everything I had ever downloaded from emule, FLM or otherwise, with over 800 files. I also notice on my shared folder tab, where it says "complete sources", I am not getting a number of complete available sources (seeder, so to speak). Not sure what the number is, actually. I've been using the sources info page (the link that shows up on the right side of every emule link) for every single file that I unshare, one at a time.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:37 pm The only way I've been able to prioritize bandwidth for releases is by finally sitting down and whittling down my shared folder.

I made that observation years ago :icon_old

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:37 pm I also notice on my shared folder tab, where it says "complete sources", I am not getting a number of complete available sources (seeder, so to speak). Not sure what the number is, actually.

Your client is for sure not monitoring the exact number of sources of all files you share, but somehow it estimates the number when files are requested, so the number has some use.

pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:37 pm I've been using the sources info page (the link that shows up on the right side of every emule link) for every single file that I unshare, one at a time.

You are crazy, man :shock: (sorry :oops:)

I've got a simple system. I unshare files shortly after download unless I see that somebody is downloading them from me. I assume that those who release, take care of sharing their own files long enough. On the other hand, I share requested files that I have (but I'm usually too lazy to mark the files :oops:).

It is important for new users to understand that keeping all files online all the time is not feasible and if there are no sources, then files should be requested, not to give up (or immediately post new links, unless they have better quality).

PS. I should have "LasseMajas detektivbyrå" bluray disc somewhere, but back then I thought it was not OT enough for FLM.
Night457
Global Moderator

I try to keep sharing the majority of my own Releases, because I don't want to check the Requested files link to see if someone is anonymously asking for a reshare of one of my files. I REALLY REALLY prefer it when people post a reshare request in the thread, even if it takes up thread space. I am guaranteed to see that request promptly, and if I have the file then I will get out my shoebox of harddrives, transfer and reshare it. I also have a massive text file directory of all the files I have across multiple hard drives, so I can quickly identify what drive a file is on without plugging in and searching each drive individually.
pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:37 pm The only way I've been able to prioritize bandwidth for releases is by finally sitting down and whittling down my shared folder.
Yep, that's how to do it. It is nice to help other people's Releases too, but sometimes you've got to pay attention to your own children. I keep my OWN Releases and OTHER files in separate folders, so I can uncheck the sharing on the OTHER folder temporarily to focus on my OWN. When the demand for them dwindles, I can check the OTHER again so that I am sharing at all times. Money is paid for that bandwidth and it had damn well better be used!

If I had a RAID I would keep everything easily available to share. Right now I am limited by the drive size on my computer. Generally other people's files get deleted after a month. I DO try to save files from LowID sources longer, because I have HighID and can act as an intermediary for other LowID users to get them. If it were not for HighID users doing that, LowID users would almost never be able to share files with each other. And yes, I do pay attention to the original source and whether it is LowID. And my memory of that seems to work for up to a month ... ;)
pillowbaker wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:37 pm I also notice on my shared folder tab, where it says "complete sources", I am not getting a number of complete available sources (seeder, so to speak). Not sure what the number is, actually.
Like mimzy says, the number is useful. But it is still a LIE. It almost never counts ME as a source, for example. Maybe it only counts the sources accessed through the Server and not Kad? I dunno.
mimzy wrote:if there are no sources, then files should be requested, not to give up (or immediately post new links, unless they have better quality).
:oops: Guilty!

I keep the file open in my emule, but if I don't see action I start looking for alternate sources right away. It could be another emule file or it could be a torrent or direct download. Often times I will be working on downloading a 100% source before anyone has a chance to even read a reshare request. If the FLM Release is a 15-year-old 700mb .mpg VHSrip, I can assume it will look like shit, and I can usually make a reasonable guess whether or not what I find is better. And I don't bother requesting a reshare if I think it is. Otherwise, I end up downloading 6 different versions of a movie and compare them all to find the best of a non-ideal bunch. And my totally prejudiced initial guesses often turn out to be correct. (However, vintage AVIs encoded properly can be of surprisingly GOOD quality. I have learned not to discount the format just because of some duds.)

Still, I am ever so grateful that there are oldtimers like mimzy who reshare the material that does NOT have alternate sources. There are plenty of files like that!
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:19 am
Like mimzy says, the number is useful. But it is still a LIE. It almost never counts ME as a source, for example. Maybe it only counts the sources accessed through the Server and not Kad? I dunno.

I think it counts both server and Kad sources, but the number is updated when a file is requested. I suppose the request includes the number of other sources found. It is of course not quaranteed that there won't be more sources (or less, if anybody goes offline). The "sources info" link (shortypower.org) indeed shows only server sources and AFAIK using only those servers that participate, so there can be more sources available.

As for counting you as a source, well, you usually know which files you share :mrgreen:

I wonder if there is actually a Manual, where all this is documented :roll:

Night457 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:19 am
mimzy wrote:if there are no sources, then files should be requested, not to give up (or immediately post new links, unless they have better quality).
:oops: Guilty!

I'll forgive you :angel

It's just that more versions (of same quality) posted means less full sources per file. But I also understand wanting to get the file faster if you really want to watch the movie and you know from where to get it elsewhere. Posting uloz or torrent is no problem with me.
Night457
Global Moderator

mimzy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:45 amindeed shows only server sources and AFAIK using only those servers that participate, so there can be more sources available.
As I suspected, it was at least partly server dependent
As for counting you as a source, well, you usually know which files you share :mrgreen:
Obviously once I have it I don't really need to know the number of sources, but I was using this as an example of its inaccuracy. I will download a file from (for example) ghost and a few other high-bandwidth sources (who obviously got it faster than I did) and when it is complete I look and see ONE source. Even if the other sources quickly unshared, at the very least there is the original source and myself, making TWO. If I Release a file it counts me as one source, but not if I have downloaded it. MAYBE I show up as a counted source for other people, I don't know.
I wonder if there is actually a Manual, where all this is documented :roll:
:icon_manual
Likely! And some of the links I have bookmarked. But I admit I rarely look at such things unless I absolutely HAVE to in order to get something to work. Scotty on Star Trek loved reading his technical manuals but I find them BOOORING. I routinely direct new members to the Step-by-Step eMule Setup, but I never actually READ the thing! I only looked at brief passages when someone asked a question.
It's just that more versions (of same quality) posted means less full sources per file.
But when people download and unshare immediately, we still have the same result. ;) At sites like this it is really nice to have screenshots and/or file specifications to get some idea of the quality of a file for comparison, and then if there are competing versions make the decision about what to download accordingly. With an anonymous emule search a person is lucky if a file has the correct movie name and year. Details like "480p" or "Russian dub" are often left out.
But I also understand wanting to get the file faster if you really want to watch the movie and you know from where to get it elsewhere. Posting uloz or torrent is no problem with me.
Yeah, I need to hurry up and download it so that I can watch it 6 months later when I get to it in my queue! :mrgreen: I like providing NON-emule sources when available for those who can NOT emule. I rarely rip my own discs anymore so most of my Releases end up coming from online but non-emule sources -- so why not share that information? They will at least still be available from those sources for a limited time.