[REL] Madita - the series (1979)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Madita - the series (1979)

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Wow-just-wow!
I read this entire thread just to see all the hard work and dedication it took to get these qualifiably shared here! And way to go on sending the folk at svt that email to get them to re-air those episodes! Many folk don't think to go that far. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask (sometimes in Swedish) and wait.

I am going to download this entire set hahahah! Ever since I watched Pippi and Mio min Mio as a kid, I loved Lindgren's stories and the shows based off them! Perhaps they are what started my seminal enjoyment of quality COA/children's films. Thanks again to everyone involved. I shall share this one for quite some time to come (hahah most of my upload bandwidth is now dedicated to emule, a huge change for me, as it was dedicated to torrenting for many many years).
pillowbaker

Sorry for the follow up post. After re-reading this thread, I am still trying to wrap my mind around the history of this show and the history here of sharing the files.

Here's what I gather... am I correct in understanding that:
- The show was originally released under the title Maricken in Sweden and in Swedish language?
- Madita is the German name of the same series, dubbed in German?
- The total complete series in any country's version comprises 10 episodes?
- But there were actually two SEASONS comprising a total of 10 episodes?
- Through its many releases and versions (Swedish, German, Czech), the episode order got switched around???
- There was a movie released around 1979 or 1980 that is actually just cut straight from some of the latter episodes (of the true, original order)?
- The original files shared by infiniter (reposted by ghost and Phuzzy) are the complete 10 episode series but are the German dubbing versions?
- Amadeus began sharing original Swedish language versions. However, emuler mentions that his are the same as ghost's original posts? I though those were in German?
- BizarreLoveTriangle shares the first 6 episodes in Swedish language. Night takes over afterward.
- In order to experience the best quality video, the least amount of cropping, and the original language, I ought to download Night's version only?

So much going on here! Please, anyone reading this, can you you tell me anything I missed and misunderstood, please inform me!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote:I read this entire thread
I am sorry, so very very sorry! You must be exhausted. That is in large part my fault.

I absolutely adore Astrid Lindgren and consider her the world's alltime greatest children's author. (Of any that have been published in English, that is.) I HAVE to watch the series and movies based on her stories multiple times a year or I go mad.

However, I did not discover the amazingness of Lindgren until I was an adult. I was aware of her as a child but ignored her. (I was stupid.) There are other Lindgren fans here at FLM, and they have had her in their lives far longer than I.

Now I will address your questions.
- The show was originally released under the title Maricken in Sweden and in Swedish language?
Your typo, actually "Madicken." But yes.
- Madita is the German name of the same series, dubbed in German?
Yes. (The Czech is Margyt.)
- The total complete series in any country's version comprises 10 episodes?
Yes.
- But there were actually two SEASONS comprising a total of 10 episodes?
Yes, but that is an artificial division. (See later.)
- Through its many releases and versions (Swedish, German, Czech), the episode order got switched around???
Yes. Madness, isn't it? The German version put the two winter / Christmas episodes together, rather than separated by a chronological year.
- There was a movie released around 1979 or 1980 that is actually just cut straight from some of the latter episodes (of the true, original order)?
OK, here we go now! Everything is based on two Lindgren books.

The first 6 Swedish episodes of "Madicken" were broadcast October - November 1979.
In December 1979 they theatrically released [REL] Du är inte klok, Madicken (1979), which continues the story.
In October 1980 they theatrically released [REL] Madicken på Junibacken (1980), which was edited down from 4 episodes of the original 6 episode series. So this movie takes place BEFORE "Du är inte klok, Madicken."
In March to April 1983 they broadcast in Sweden episodes 7 to 10, which are slightly edited (for episode transitions) from the "Du är inte klok, Madicken" movie with about 5 minutes of additional footage.

Since then, SVT has flopped the two seasons so that 7-10 became season 1 and 1-6 became season 2! This makes no sense, but I do not care since SVT allowed me to get them.

I never looked into broadcast dates for the German and Czech dubs.
- The original files shared by infiniter (reposted by ghost and Phuzzy) are the complete 10 episode series but are the German dubbing versions?
- Amadeus began sharing original Swedish language versions. However, emuler mentions that his are the same as ghost's original posts? I though those were in German?
- BizarreLoveTriangle shares the first 6 episodes in Swedish language. Night takes over afterward.
I think everything you have here is generally correct, but I never downloaded all the old files and I deleted them after so I can not verify. There IS some confusion and incorrect information in the Madicken threads. Surely by now you can understand why? It took me some time to read multiple sources and get it straight.
- In order to experience the best quality video, the least amount of cropping, and the original language, I ought to download Night's version only?
Yes, but only for the EPISODE versions. Until someone finds something better. Since I muxed the Swedish audio into a de-logoed version of the Czech for episodes 1-6, clearly the official Swedish release was not good enough -- so maybe there will be a later improvement. On ulozto I have seen HD versions posted later of some of the Czech episodes, but my quick pixel-peeping of one of them makes me think they are size-upscales that do not improve the video quality.

HOWEVER ... I highly recommend the two movie versions linked above. Yes they have less footage, but they have been Released at FLM in full 1080p, clean images with NO delogoing or other processing. They are as good a quality as you will get unless you buy the Swedish blu-rays, which do not have English subtitles. (But are still a cherished part of MY personal collection.) If either movie is not currently shared in the original Swedish, post in the appropriate thread and I will make damn sure that I retrieve it from my hard drive and share it!

Enjoy!
pillowbaker

WOW! :D
Never expected such a grand response! Thank you for sweepingly nailing all of my questions!!
Night457 wrote:Your typo, actually "Madicken." But yes.
pillowbaker's mind wandering to... Oh yes, just a typo! :eusa_liar

Honestly, going through this thread (and others), I take a certain amount of deranged enjoyment from extrapolating all the information and changes that are made to available source over the years. Don't know why, I compulsively try to organize media material in my mind. And so, no sorries needed. As there are thousands of releases here, it's little histories like these that keep me focused on a few specific areas and keep me from being overwhelmed with my own FOMO neuroticism!

Obviously, I share your fondness for the works of Lindgren. These are especially great because the large majority of her works are available to me in English and they're FANTASTIC EVEN FOR ADULTS TO READ! There are so many, I keep discovering new ones every time I look. While some of her books and the movies based off them were household names, the notion that they came from a particular author or country wasn't a thing to me that long ago. And so, much of affection I have for Lindgren's works didn't come until I was an adult as well.

The suggestions for the film are appreciated. I'll be sure to download them! Often, I try to watch series and film in a sort of chronological or story order, even if I have to sacrifice some quality. I may have to make an exception, or I can watch the series as normal and go back through with the movies and rewatch favorite parts! Many thanks for your time.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Ahhh ... I have to check out "Mariken" even though goats freak me out.

Be careful you don't spend too much time reading posts online or you will cut back on your time for WATCHING!

I have a rough time reading Dostoevsky these days, so Lindgren is more my speed. Most of her books have larger print too, which helps a lot!

The movies and the series have the same chronology, so mixing them together would just make it overlap. Watch both movies in one period of time, and the series in another. (Or the other way around.) I probably watch Madicken twice a year, so I have seen all versions over and over again.

Even though there is technically speaking a chronology from the books, the stories ARE episodic and can be enjoyed out of order.

Personally, I happened to see the movies first because that is what I had available. I saw them without subtitles, for the same reason -- and still understood the story almost perfectly. Later I saw the series and made the English subtitles. Seeing the additional footage was an exciting new discovery!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

SVTplay has once again started showing the entire series (10 episodes) for a limited time, premiering one episode per week into October:

https://www.svtplay.se/madicken

In Swedish with optional Swedish subtitles, and they seem to have corrected their previous mixup with swapping Seasons 1 and 2. They also have a version with Swedish narration for the visually impaired. I am horrified at the thought of my ever needing such a narration for this. :(

Currently only the first episode is available, but it is for WORLDWIDE release, with no VPN necessary. The other episodes are not out yet and are listed as "Can only be seen in Sweden" (or with a VPN, like I did it) but that might change when they actually come out.

Of course I am still sharing my emule files.
Lorz

Post by Lorz »   0 likes

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I feel like I just stepped into paradise, finding this place. Sadly, the doors of paradise are still locked as I try to get eMule to work for me. In the meantime though, I wondered if these links that got posted are the highest quality versions of the show. Or are the ones Night is posting of a higher quality?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Lorz wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:21 am Hello everyone, I'm new here. I feel like I just stepped into paradise, finding this place. Sadly, the doors of paradise are still locked as I try to get eMule to work for me.
Welcome to FLM!

First priority: make sure to look through these links about eMule:

https://www.emule-project.com/home/perl ... al.cgi?l=1

Step-by-Step eMule Setup

You probably do NOT need to read the entirety of the very long thread, but it can help guide you through installation. If necessary you can post questions in the Step-by-Step thread and people will try to help you.
In the meantime though, I wondered if these links that got posted are the highest quality versions of the show. Or are the ones Night is posting of a higher quality?
Short answer: for some of the episodes, there are now versions with apparently better video quality than BOTH the videos you linked AND the ones I posted. I have not downloaded them to confirm.

At the time I posted the Swedish "Madicken" episodes, they were the highest video quality available. They are a mix of 576p, 720p, and 1080p. For some of them I sourced the available videos from the Czech-dubbed Margyt episodes and muxed in the original Swedish audio instead. (All my files are the original Swedish. There are also German-dubbed episodes of lower video quality titled "Madita".)

ALL of the Czech "Margyt" episodes have since been upgraded to 1080p:
https://ulozto.net/hledej?videoQuality= ... ype=videos
(Note the Czech episode titles. Play the preview and you will hear the Czech dub.)

I have not kept up with downloading them and re-remuxing the files that I have that are NOT yet 1080p. If you prefer a Czech dub (or do not mind it), then the 1080p Czech versions are clearly an excellent choice!

P.S.: If you choose the Czech videos but still want my English subtitles, and are NOT yet eMuling, then post and ask for them here. I will post them as a directly-downloadable attachment that does not require eMule.
pillowbaker

So the great Madicken lures in yet another member. Heya Lorz, hope you enjoy your time here. This place is indeed a treasury. I still find excellent film gems every time I care to look hard enough. It's hard not to take it for granted now!

Although this wasn't necessarily the show that brought me here, after seeing Night's incredible work procuring the series and sharing it here, it is likely what made me know I just had to participate!
Lorz

Post by Lorz »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:11 am At the time I posted the Swedish "Madicken" episodes, they were the highest video quality available. They are a mix of 576p, 720p, and 1080p. For some of them I sourced the available videos from the Czech-dubbed Margyt episodes and muxed in the original Swedish audio instead. (All my files are the original Swedish. There are also German-dubbed episodes of lower video quality titled "Madita".)

ALL of the Czech "Margyt" episodes have since been upgraded to 1080p:
https://ulozto.net/hledej?videoQuality= ... ype=videos
(Note the Czech episode titles. Play the preview and you will hear the Czech dub.)

I have not kept up with downloading them and re-remuxing the files that I have that are NOT yet 1080p. If you prefer a Czech dub (or do not mind it), then the 1080p Czech versions are clearly an excellent choice!

P.S.: If you choose the Czech videos but still want my English subtitles, and are NOT yet eMuling, then post and ask for them here. I will post them as a directly-downloadable attachment that does not require eMule.
Ohhhhh, I never even imagined this show could reach 1080p. I figured it was too old for that. My god... I don't know if my heart can even handle that. But, I'd love to be part of building the best version of Madicken around, so I'd be happy to do my part and see. I'll download that version now and see if the rumors are true. And as the for subtitle downloads, I'd love that. :heart I've watched the scenes plenty, but it'd be great knowing what they're actually saying at last, too.
I actually found this place because I had an old .webm of the... "bedroom" scene. One day I found it again and thought to myself >"huh... wht is this actually FROM". And that lead me on a long journey that ended here.
pillowbaker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:19 am So the great Madicken lures in yet another member. Heya Lorz, hope you enjoy your time here. This place is indeed a treasury. I still find excellent film gems every time I care to look hard enough. It's hard not to take it for granted now!

Although this wasn't necessarily the show that brought me here, after seeing Night's incredible work procuring the series and sharing it here, it is likely what made me know I just had to participate!
Thanks! I actually have some old shows I know myself, that might not be posted here. Maybe I'll see if I can find my old DVD and give everyone here a treat too.