[REL] Die unendliche Geschichte (1984)

emuler

Re: [REL] Die unendliche Geschichte (1984)

Post by emuler »   22 likes

Upgrade 1080p x265
Spoiler:

General
Complete name : D:\emule\FLM\The.NeverEnding.Story.1984.1080p.x265.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/mp41)
File size : 1.58 GiB
Duration : 1 h 41 min
Overall bit rate : 2 231 kb/s
Movie name : The.NeverEnding.Story.1984.REMASTERED.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG
Encoded date : UTC 2020-10-21 06:54:37
Tagged date : UTC 2020-10-21 06:54:37
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100
Comment : The.NeverEnding.Story.1984.REMASTERED.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L4@Main
Codec ID : hev1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate : 2 001 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 816 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 24.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.053
Stream size : 1.41 GiB (90%)
Writing library : x265 3.3+4-rarbg-30eb4de83092:[Linux][GCC 8.3.1][64 bit] 10bit
Encoding settings : cpuid=1111039 / frame-threads=4 / wpp / no-pmode / no-pme / no-psnr / no-ssim / log-level=2 / input-csp=1 / input-res=1920x816 / interlace=0 / total-frames=0 / level-idc=0 / high-tier=1 / uhd-bd=0 / ref=4 / no-allow-non-conformance / no-repeat-headers / annexb / no-aud / no-hrd / info / hash=0 / no-temporal-layers / open-gop / min-keyint=24 / keyint=250 / gop-lookahead=0 / bframes=4 / b-adapt=2 / b-pyramid / bframe-bias=0 / rc-lookahead=25 / lookahead-slices=4 / scenecut=40 / hist-scenecut=0 / radl=0 / no-splice / no-intra-refresh / ctu=64 / min-cu-size=8 / rect / no-amp / max-tu-size=32 / tu-inter-depth=1 / tu-intra-depth=1 / limit-tu=0 / rdoq-level=2 / dynamic-rd=0.00 / no-ssim-rd / signhide / no-tskip / nr-intra=0 / nr-inter=0 / no-constrained-intra / strong-intra-smoothing / max-merge=3 / limit-refs=3 / limit-modes / me=3 / subme=3 / merange=57 / temporal-mvp / no-frame-dup / no-hme / weightp / no-weightb / no-analyze-src-pics / deblock=0:0 / no-sao / no-sao-non-deblock / rd=4 / selective-sao=0 / no-early-skip / rskip / no-fast-intra / no-tskip-fast / no-cu-lossless / no-b-intra / no-splitrd-skip / rdpenalty=0 / psy-rd=2.00 / psy-rdoq=1.00 / no-rd-refine / no-lossless / cbqpoffs=0 / crqpoffs=0 / rc=abr / bitrate=2000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpstep=4 / stats-write=0 / stats-read=2 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ipratio=1.40 / pbratio=1.30 / aq-mode=3 / aq-strength=1.00 / cutree / zone-count=0 / no-strict-cbr / qg-size=32 / no-rc-grain / qpmax=69 / qpmin=0 / no-const-vbv / sar=1 / overscan=0 / videoformat=5 / range=0 / colorprim=2 / transfer=2 / colormatrix=2 / chromaloc=0 / display-window=0 / cll=0,0 / min-luma=0 / max-luma=1023 / log2-max-poc-lsb=8 / vui-timing-info / vui-hrd-info / slices=1 / no-opt-qp-pps / no-opt-ref-list-length-pps / no-multi-pass-opt-rps / scenecut-bias=0.05 / hist-threshold=0.01 / no-opt-cu-delta-qp / no-aq-motion / no-hdr10 / no-hdr10-opt / no-dhdr10-opt / no-idr-recovery-sei / analysis-reuse-level=0 / analysis-save-reuse-level=0 / analysis-load-reuse-level=0 / scale-factor=0 / refine-intra=0 / refine-inter=0 / refine-mv=1 / refine-ctu-distortion=0 / no-limit-sao / ctu-info=0 / no-lowpass-dct / refine-analysis-type=0 / copy-pic=1 / max-ausize-factor=1.0 / no-dynamic-refine / no-single-sei / no-hevc-aq / no-svt / no-field / qp-adaptation-range=1.00 / no-scenecut-aware-qpconformance-window-offsets / right=0 / bottom=0
Codec configuration box : hvcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 224 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : C L R Ls Rs LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 162 MiB (10%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1
Like this post to see ed2k links  [1.58 Gb]

English subs (Thanks Night457)
Like this post to see ed2k links  [52.3 Kb]
Last edited by emuler on Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Don't click this unless you have seen the movie:
Spoiler:

MOONCHILD!
Thank you for this and all your other recent releases emuler!

And YES, this is the English-language version of the original director-approved German release, NOT the American edit. It is somewhat darker in tone and has the score by Klaus Doldinger, not the one by Giorgio Moroder. Most importantly it DOES NOT HAVE that song by Limahl:

(Nope, NOT in this version! I am one of those who don't like the song, and it kept me from watching a terrific movie for years.)

The subtitles emuler provided do not quite match the video throughout because they are for the American cut. Sorry, I could not find SDH subtitles that matched emuler's video, but here are regular English subtitles that DO match:
The.NeverEnding.Story.1984.1080p.x265.en.zip
|
When the tears well up in the eyes of The Childlike Empress, that's it, I am reduced to mush ...
:icon_frown2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Thanks Night457. I'll pass on the information about the subs. I'm also changing the srt link with the subs you have provided.

Yes, that scene is the highlight of the film - Tami Stronach gave a stunning performance. :inlove :inlove :inlove
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I don't want to trigger anyone (like me), so I picked a pic from before the tears started to really flow:
[Image]

I just watched it last night!!! Good fun! (I gotta love those children's fairy tales about death, grief and crippling depression.)
emuler wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:01 pm Yes, that scene is the highlight of the film - Tami Stronach gave a stunning performance. :inlove :inlove :inlove
"Stronach’s onscreen tears were real, so distraught was she at the scripted end-of-the-world scenario her character faced."
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbeem/ ... i-stronach

No fake glycerin tears for her!

I have to admit that the friendly dragon Falkor still terrifies me, much more so than the villain Gmork.
Falkor.jpg
Gmork.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:38 pm And YES, this is the English-language version of the original director-approved German release, NOT the American edit. It is somewhat darker in tone and has the score by Klaus Doldinger, not the one by Giorgio Moroder. Most importantly it DOES NOT HAVE that song by Limahl:
Wait, there are TWO different scored/edits of this movie?! Talk about being out of the loop! And I considered myself a bit of a fan of this movie. I know I can look this up, and I will, but I'll still ask, are the variations between the two version of this movie similar to the versions that exist of Legend (1985), where main difference is the scoring? I always thought both Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder scored the film together.

I'll definitely check this version out, though I did enjoy Moroder's score quite a bit. The Sleepy Dragon theme still gets me!

When the tears well up in the eyes of The Childlike Empress, that's it, I am reduced to mush ...
:icon_frown2
Intensely dramatic scene!
There's another that has a similar effect on me:
Spoiler:

ARTAX!!
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:56 am Wait, there are TWO different scored/edits of this movie?! Talk about being out of the loop! And I considered myself a bit of a fan of this movie. I know I can look this up, and I will, but I'll still ask, are the variations between the two version of this movie similar to the versions that exist of Legend (1985), where main difference is the scoring? I always thought both Klaus Doldinger and Giorgio Moroder scored the film together.
Separately.

The most noticeable difference is in the score, but there are some cuts (7 minutes worth) that change the tone. Director Wolfgang Petersen's original choice was Doldinger and the German version has ONLY his score. The version made for the American audience replaces some of the music with Moroder, and also inserts his music in scenes intended to be unscored. Don't get me wrong, the "Father of Disco" was a terrific music pioneer and I love his soundtrack for DePalma's "Scarface". He just wasn't what this director had in mind for this movie. It is that damn earworm Limahl song that I heard way too much in the 80s that I really object to, although I have to admit that female vocalist Beth Anderson is quite good. I am sure she has sung some songs that won't drive me batty.

Detailed summary of differences:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088323/al ... tt_trv_alt

Shot-by-shot breakdown of differences:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1439182
(This is one of my favorite sites that I have visited for many movies.)

32-minute video analysis of the differences:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw3q65OxtCQ

That is really an excellent video that gives due credit to the changes that the American version did right (in their view). They certainly did NOT ruin the movie like some movie studios do with hack and slash revisionism. It is just DIFFERENT. Since the only version I ever had available for decades was the American, Wolfgang's original vision was something rare and desired.

Some day I may hunt down the German-language version, because I am interested in how the fantastical creatures are voiced in it. Watching the movie I suspected that German would more closely match Rock Biter's lip movements, for instance, and that is confirmed with some online sources I read. Also the Night Hob (an actor in make-up) spoke German and was dubbed in English.

The author of the original novel Michael Ende absolutely DESPISED the movie and felt that it completely misunderstood and ruined his story. I am afraid to read the book because I might end up agreeing with him!
Night457
Global Moderator

I have now watched the German language version with German subtitles. It was great! I definitely prefer the German voices for Rockbiter and Gmork. I might even prefer the movie overall in German. Maybe I could convince some bored sound engineer to create a special mixed version with the children speaking English and everyone else speaking German? :mrgreen:

Most of the 1080p (and higher!) German language versions online are rather LARGE files, from 9Gb up to 54GB! I wanted something more compact so I remuxed German 5.1 audio from a SD version with emuler's 1080p video.

The German-language version of the original director-approved German release, with optional English subtitles:
https://ulozto.net/file/VIKu7Bsoprr9/di ... uBHmWvLt==
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:24 pm Maybe I could convince some bored sound engineer to create a special mixed version with the children speaking English and everyone else speaking German? :mrgreen:
That definitely sounds like it would be a popular fan-made DEFINITIVE version of the movie! I enjoyed reading about your experience with the German language version. It's been around 17 years since I've rewatched NES in its entirety. It's one that collects so many of the things I love about movies of that era (excellent narrative, great acting, magnificent set and world design and atmosphere, practical effects). It is well embedded in my mind and highly regarded. I've even picked up a copy of the book (in English), it's great!

And so, I am quite excited to be able to see this "extended" and different version of the movie. Sometimes when I discover an old favorite of mine has been rereleased in a new edit/edition, it adds in as well as cuts out moments of the movie.

So thanks for the info and the link to the German versions. I played the preview and I was surprised how well the German was dubbed in! Of course, Rockbiter and Gmork were so well dubbed in English I never realized there was any dubbing involved until I learned it here! I have since rewatched those scenes and it is more apparent now.
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:46 amI've even picked up a copy of the book (in English), it's great!
I considered doing that but then I saw how long it was! I just can't read that much anymore, eyes and brain. So I read a "Cliffs Notes" / Wiki-type summary instead. Wow. It is not just some simple kiddie story, it has real depth ... and the movie only covers a small part of it.
Sometimes when I discover an old favorite of mine has been rereleased in a new edit/edition, it adds in as well as cuts out moments of the movie.
Fortunately this is a case of an OLD edit of the movie, not some radical new revision. There are a few snippets that are in the shorter American version that are not in the German, which is inevitable with a different edit.
I played the preview and I was surprised how well the German was dubbed in! Of course, Rockbiter and Gmork were so well dubbed in English I never realized there was any dubbing involved until I learned it here!
You do realize those characters are puppets and not actors in makeup, right? :mrgreen: (So no matter what they are dubbed, just like cartoons are.) Germans are master dubbers (like the Italians), but I figured that since this was a German-made film the puppeteers were probably lip-syncing to the German dialog. My second viewing of it in English as an adult, I said to myself "Rockbiter is speaking German, not English, dammit!" So I just had to find out if I was right.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:32 am You do realize those characters are puppets and not actors in makeup, right? :mrgreen: (So no matter what they are dubbed, just like cartoons are.)
Well, I kinda got Gmork mixed with Night Hob. :oops: I was only looking at his and Rockbiter's lips. ;)

I wouldn't have wanted to skip so far ahead as to get to Gmork anyway, though I have a feeling that he won't have quite the effect he had on me when I was much younger. That said, I am still so impressed by how immersive I feel the film is (I still occasionally watch clips).

But yeah, when I first got the book, I was splendidly surprised it wasn't a children's level novel. It is quite the read for an adult, even in English! I admit, it was also several years ago when I picked up the book. I'd have been happy enough to discover it was a trilogy of books, haha!