[REL] Fakiren fra Bilbao - AKA The Fakir (2004)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Fakiren fra Bilbao - AKA The Fakir (2004)

Post by Night457 »   3 likes

Kissonline, thank you for sharing the Uloz file! The multi-voice dub in this I think is Czech ... or maybe Russian. :?: My ears and brain are tired right now. Czech and Russian users please speak up and correct me if I am wrong! (A playable preview is available from the uloz link in popdrome's post.)

I am afraid your Dutch subtitles are not quite synced. I resynced the Dutch AND some professionally-translated English subtitles:
Fakiren fra Bilbao ENGLISH and DUTCH.zip
thelost, I DO look forward to your Danish-language remux! Pretty please will you share it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goku22

Post by goku22 »   1 likes

Hi guys.

Just found this forum. I‘m always passionate about archiving and preserving content (in the best quality available).

I also found this "HD" Upload, it seemingly doesn’t have that watermark in the upper left corner:
https://ok.ru/video/1403447020089

And a Russian/danish DVD5 Torrent: https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6077085

I do wonder where the supposed HD web-dl version of this film comes/originates from? And is it a true 35mm remaster? (According to Einhorn-Film.at the film was shot on 35mm Film).

I wasn’t able to track down the full German DVD-R but I could buy it for cheap Second-hand (2€). I always only had the old German DivX DVDRip of this film. (Less than a Gigabyte)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Welcome to FLM, goku22! Thank you for sharing the links you found. I am particularly interested in the DVD5 torrent with original Danish language, and I am getting it now.
goku22 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:43 am I do wonder where the supposed HD web-dl version of this film comes/originates from?
The Kissonline / ulozto version has a watermark from a Czech television station. I have to assume they sourced it from official rights-holders, perhaps as good as a digital version from the original film. I really can't guess any better than that!

As for the HD version without watermark that you linked, ok.ru frequently has 720p upscales. I have not compared it closely to the other version but this one does look good, and was probably upscaled from the PAL DVD. That is why it has no annoying TV logo watermark!
goku22

Post by goku22 »   0 likes

Thanks! Makes sense!
Night457
Global Moderator

goku22 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:43 am And a Russian/danish DVD5 Torrent: https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6077085
Interestingly, the languages are identified as Russian and Danish on rutracker but Russian and Swedish on the downloaded DVD5. I am pretty certain that Rutracker is correct and it is the expected original Danish soundtrack and not another dub. I listened carefully while following both Danish and Swedish subtitles to be sure.

The video needs to be played back at 16:9 in VLC to get the right aspect ratio.

Thank you again, goku22!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

I forgot my password & email to the other account :D

Now I added my new account & password to the password manager :)

Interesting that it needs 16:9 format in vlc. Means the full actual video/resolution is not 4:3 but „burned“ into 16:9 screen..

Pretty crazy & fascinating to me that SO MANY of these old films that ever only got released on dvd/vhs were often actually even shot on 35mm film but to this day haven’t gotten proper re-releases/remasters! Sometimes I reach out to the studios/distributors to ask and request remasters. I’m still amazed by the fact that we got „Eva och Adam“ in crispy 1080p from the Swedish tv Channel SVT. Soooo much better than the old dTV.XviD rips i found on dailymotion.

Did you already get the full dvd5 from rutracker?

In case anyone is interested I can also offer the following release (I might do a danish/German (DL=Dual.Language) dub with the HD version in the future.

Der.Fakir.German.DVDRiP.XviD-NiGHTMARE
Night457
Global Moderator

I will be suspicious if tomorrow there is a goku44!

After I downloaded the DVD5 it was pretty obvious it was squished, which for me was unusual in a DVD copy. It must have happened accidentally when they remuxed the original DVD with the Russian soundtrack; they had some setting wrong. By comparing to the other versions it was easy to decide what was actually correct. Whenever I download a DVD I always convert the video to a .mkv with MakeMKV, so in this case I used mkvmergeGUI to re-encode it with the correct default playback aspect ratio.

I am impressed that you have contacted studios with your wishes! They only remaster films if they think that there is still interest.