[REL] Simindis Kundzuli / Corn Island (2014) [Georgia]

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Simindis Kundzuli / Corn Island (2014) [Georgia]

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Oh wowee! Thanks ghost! There's so much I haven't seen yet buried here at FLM! I look forward to this film!

I usually very much enjoy films that incorporate a style using few spoken words. It tends to give the film a certain atmosphere. Telling the story entirely visually, without the hand-holding exposition shoveled in, sometimes gives films such an immersive quality to me. And of course aids in making the movie transcend any language barrier difficulties.

Right now, there aren't many that come to mind. One of my favorites (not an FLM movie) is a French production called La guerre du feu (Quest for Fire). I know I've gotten some mostly-dialogueless FLM movies, but I can't recall any titles offhand.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

"Quest for Fire" does have some caveman-talk, an invented langugage written for the movie. I also like the movie "Caveman" from the same year, starring Ringo Starr. LIke you, I am struggling to think of FLM movies that qualify, though I know for certain there are some.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Yeah, it makes me want to dig around and find qualifying films or shorts here. Thanks again for the Georgian movie. Not sure if I've ever gotten a movie with Abkhazian language. Of course, this film isn't going to have much, but I am still going to look up the language out of curiosity.

Slightly off-topic (edit: put into spoiler tag, too nerdy):
Spoiler:

Yes! "Quest for Fire" does have caveman speak, 3 main dialects/languages, in fact, were created for the film! It's very interesting to me. I thought about including some discourse in my previous post about the film actually technically having dialogue, but I thought to leave it out. About QfF, the dialogue is essentially (very well-crafted) background material, and doesn't really contain any exposition. It could be left unsubtitled and you would have the same experience. I don't think subtitles for it's dialogue would help at all, but I do recall seeing light subtitling for some words like "Atra", which is "fire" in the language of the first main tribe. This is why I called it a movie mostly dialogueless, even though that is technically incorrect.

Some interesting notes about the languages. They were created by British author Anthony Burgess, writer of Clockwork Orange. The following is not necessarily linguistically true, from what I have learned.
But in the interests of cinematic world-building, if you listen closely, you'll notice that the first main tribe has a language that is simple yet somewhat developed, seemingly only of medium complexity, enough for articulated storytelling. Later, the band of questers come across a primitive though strong, intimidating and cannibalistic tribe. They are given a language of even more simplicity and is noticeable more grunt oriented, yet still a language. I believe it is suppose to reflect the primitiveness of the tribe itself. And further on, the adventurers meet a lone female, who you find is an outcast of a tribe more advanced than either seen so far, and their language definitely reflects it. It sounds highly complex with possible rapid tonal variation.

Note, not to distract on the topic further. It has been discounted and proven wrong, over and over, that the native languages of individual "tribes", no matter how primitive, are primitive languages. I am not saying this to distract the topic. Only to prevent any misunderstanding and offense. Most individual tribal languages are routinely discovered to be just as highly complex and expressive as languages spoken by millions.

That said, I thought it was an incredible feature of this film to utilize languages like this, yet for the film not to be dependent on using dialogue to progress the story or developpe characters.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:42 am (edit: put into spoiler tag, too nerdy)
:ugeek:
Spoiler:

Anthony Burgess is one of my favorite authors! On rare occasions I can find something of his that I have not yet read.

I appreciate your comments about technologically "primitive" cultures having sophisticated and expressive languages! They spend time talking with each other and have decided "We don't need any effing iPhones!"

Of course nowadays there are no more protohominid cavemen, at least literally. We have small parts of CroMagnon and Neanderthal DNA in our genes, so there was some intermating going on back then. But we really can only make guesses at what languages might have been like 100,000 years ago. You are so very correct that it would be totally wrong to apply those guesses to peoples living today, even when they don't have air-conditioning and microwave ovens!
I am quite certain there are a number of dialog-minimum FLM films I have actually watched, I just can not remember well enough to name them.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:48 pm Well, guys... I found it in Full HD! Where? It's funny: On a norwegian streaming service!

Quality is really good.

[Image]

Audio tracks: German and Abkhazian (DD5.1).

Simindis kundzuli (2014).1080p.5.1.ger-abk.mkv

Englsh subtitles for the few spoken words:
Simindis kundzuli (2014).1080p.5.1.ger-abk.en.srt
Damn how did you even find this hidden on some Norwegian stream site lol Great find! And thanks for the ger audio
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Damn how did you even find this hidden on some Norwegian stream site lol Great find! And thanks for the ger audio
It was by chance browsing this site: https://blockbuster.no/filmer/corn-island
goku33

ghost wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:11 pm
It was by chance browsing this site: https://blockbuster.no/filmer/corn-island
Ahh blockbuster seems to dominate their market there
nata_foxy

Post by nata_foxy »   1 likes

FHD online version

Code: Select all

https://vk.com/video-68079607_456239179
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

nata_foxy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:30 am FHD online version

Code: Select all

https://vk.com/video-68079607_456239179

Unfortunately, not true HD. :(

This is one I periodically check to see if there's an Amazon Prime or similar streaming version available. Or a blu-ray, although I doubt we'll see one. This movie has nice visuals - in more ways than one. I'd love to see it released at higher quality.
goku33