Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Step-by-Step eMule Setup

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:15 pm Lots of rare/old films and tv series I’ve already bookmarked on here :D
If there are no sharers within a day or so for some old posted item, make sure to use the "Request selected files" button or post in the thread to request a reshare. Don't give up on it right away.
I got more privacy & security concerned in recent years when I learnt more about how much is being tracked, spied on, logged etc.
I understand. I try to not get too paranoid because I figure that I am an uninteresting target. "They" should spy instead on someone with money or political power or outrageously criminal activities.
You’d need a hardened Firefox with uBlockOrigin & preferably NoScript/JavaScript disabled etc.
I like uBlockOrigin, but I am not sure if I can DO anything online without some hot java. :gmorning
I remember for example the old Usenext Tangysoft Client (Usenet) automatically showed previews of images when you did an image search.
Nowadays Google Search does that, did you know? :mrgreen: I remember back in the days when it would take half an hour to download a single deceptively-named .gif, and it turned out to be a trolling image along the lines of Goatse.
Should I just try aMule myself? The majority of people on FLM uses eMule ?
My totally unscientific impression is that aMule is primarily for Linux and Mac users. If Windows is the majority in the world then likely it is also on FLM, and eMule would be the majority choice here too. You use Linux and can handle that, so I am sure you can figure out aMule. If you have the time and motivation you can ALSO try eMule in Windows and compare the results.

The idea of Linux is appealing to me and I used it briefly as a secondary OS, but I am just not clever enough to keep it running right. It required too much knowledgeable maintenance for me. Someone with the abilities of mimzy, for example, is perfect for it.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:15 pm Should I just try aMule myself? The majority of people on FLM uses eMule ?
According to eMule statistics, roughly 90% uses eMule, 8% uses aMule (mostly Mac users, I suppose) and 2% use Shareaza and MLDonkey.

You can definitely give aMule a try. Hint: when using wxWidgets 3.x, aMule must be compiled with Boost.Asio library. When starting aMule, you should see something like: "Initialising aMule SVN compiled with wxGTK2 v3.0.3 and Boost 1.66 (Snapshot: rev. gc0c28234a)". If "Boost" is not mentioned, then aMule is very likely unstable.

I still have a feeling that aMule is less efficient than eMule, but I don't have any proof.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

i wasnt able to find an option in aMule to add kad url. only the ip-filter.dat url and the ed2k server url.

the udp and tcp ports are just the one we get from mullvad/out vpn provider?

i tried amule from the ubuntu repositories. it’s definitely more confusing (the gui) than the simple torrent clients these days.
goku33

Heyana wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:25 am

*Note; this may or may not work with port forwarding, if anyone tests this please let me know how it went.

While not everyone cares about leaking their traffic, for those that do, here's a way. Note that this only works with Mullvad and will add a slight speed penalty.

Mullvad offers a SOCKS5 proxy for all of its servers - if you don't know what that means, it basically routes your Mullvad traffic a second time, to another server. What has this got to do with leakage? Well, it only works when you're connected to Mullvad, so if you aren't, the proxy wont work, and eMule won't be able to connect to the internet.

Head to the "Proxy" tab and check "Enable Proxy", set the "Proxy type" to SOCKS5.
Now head over to the Mullvad website and click its "Servers" tab (or mullvad.net/en/servers)
From here, untick the boxes "OpenVPN" and "Bridge". Choose the server you'd like your connection to be routed to (choose one close to your VPN server location for optimal performance) and click on it, a drop down menu will unfold, copy the "SOCKS5 PROXY ADDRESS" and paste it into the "Proxy host" text field in eMule, delete this part from the address ":1080". In the "Proxy port" field input 1080. That's it, done! A neat fallback mechanism. It's worth noting that, since your connection is being routed a second time, a speed penalty will happen, I'm not sure how big it will be, but it probably wont be noticeable since eMule isn't the fastest thing around. :p
When you use the socks5 proxy you are not connectable from the outside world. Meaning after you are done downloading other people can't connect to you. Meaning seeding isn't possible and you'll get kicked off a private tracker.
You need to be using the VPN and forward a port to seed long term.
If you are on a public tracker and don't care about seeding etiquette, then the socks5 proxy is just fine. It still hides your IP in the swarm.

Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/PrivateInterne ... ks5_proxy/
I‘d like to add that many people make the mistake nowadays to confuse Mullvad‘s so-called „built-in killswitch“ with the „always on“ feature in the advanced settings (at least this is the case on Linux). if I remember correctly in the past, Mullvads always-on feature was called killswitch. The always-on feature means your entire system won’t be able to connect to the internet outside any Mullvad connections. So even if you close or kill the app entirely and disconnect, you still won’t have internet access back because the system firewall was changed this way.

Of course this relies on your system and it’s Firewall to work properly. For things like torrent clients an additional safety measurement would be to specify in the torrent clients settings which network interface to use. qBittorrent which I haven’t used yet, famously has this option to further protect from traffic leaks. I will research further, but I think eMule/Amule habe a similar option. Socks5 proxy isn’t an option for a killswitch if you want to forward Ports with a vpn it seems (=seeding & highID).

See this comment: https://old.reddit.com/r/mullvadvpn/com ... h/hvq8d7l/

See this comment as well: https://old.reddit.com/r/mullvadvpn/com ... h/hvgajnx/
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:55 pm A reddit user wrote the following:
When you use the socks5 proxy you are not connectable from the outside world.
I wouldn't be 100% sure about this. I didn't check, but I seem to remember that with socks5 it was possible while with socks4 it wasn't. It might also be that it is a limitation of the particular socks5 service, not the socks5 protocol.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm i wasnt able to find an option in aMule to add kad url. only the ip-filter.dat url and the ed2k server url.
I don't think there is kad url as such. You can seed kad with nodes.dat, but this is not necessary if you use a server. Kad will seed itself automatically when you start downloading.

ip-filter is useless and counter-effective IMO.
goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm the udp and tcp ports are just the one we get from mullvad/out vpn provider?
I suppose so.
goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm i tried amule from the ubuntu repositories. it’s definitely more confusing (the gui) than the simple torrent clients these days.
Dunno. Adding ed2k links and sharing files was simple enough for me :roll:

It also had this remote control client that was useful for scripting.
goku33

mimzy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:22 am
goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm i wasnt able to find an option in aMule to add kad url. only the ip-filter.dat url and the ed2k server url.
I don't think there is kad url as such. You can seed kad with nodes.dat, but this is not necessary if you use a server. Kad will seed itself automatically when you start downloading.

ip-filter is useless and counter-effective IMO.
goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm the udp and tcp ports are just the one we get from mullvad/out vpn provider?
I suppose so.
goku33 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:30 pm i tried amule from the ubuntu repositories. it’s definitely more confusing (the gui) than the simple torrent clients these days.
Dunno. Adding ed2k links and sharing files was simple enough for me :roll:

It also had this remote control client that was useful for scripting.
Many thanks mimzy! I think I will get it to work within the next two days. I appreciate the technical knowledgeable people chiming in.

I know most here use the eMule-Security.org Server and sources, right? (You don’t use ip-Filter?)

Shortypower also curates a server list it seems: http://shortypower.org/

And this one has a few more servers I think: http://www.peerates.net/
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:08 pm I know most here use the eMule-Security.org Server and sources, right?
I don't think we have ever taken a survey to find out who uses what, but in order to
"Update server.met from URL" I always use

Code: Select all

http://upd.emule-security.org/server.met
I have it plugged into the box on the Servers tab of my eMule client, and click Update as needed. Usually I do this once a day. The servers I get look quite similar to the sites you listed.

Screengrab of the tab, of course this is not amule so yours will look different:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
goku33

You have a lot of servers there. More than the sites list..? Old servers ?
Night457
Global Moderator

goku33 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:33 pm You have a lot of servers there. More than the sites list..? Old servers ?
No, that list is up-to-date (or Updated, that is). And what you see in the screenshot is only about one third of my full displayed list, which continues with the scroll bar. (I just checked, I have 43 servers listed.)

The shortypower site is showing 10 servers at the moment, and peerates is showing 36.

How many servers are used by FLM members, I have no idea. I am generally connected to eMule Security.

Note: I provided the screenshot specifically to show the Server Update section. It is only incidental that there was the list of servers too!