Berlinale 2023 - Movies of this year

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Nasuada

Berlinale 2023 - Movies of this year

Post by Nasuada »   5 likes

Every year the same procedure, every year I spend some of my holidays for this festival to get 10 amazing days full of movies and it's now the third time that I post here some Infos about the movies who I selected :-)

We reaching slowly the start of the 73. Berlinale, who is the biggest public movie Festival at the planet. The Berlinale is split in different Sections to make it a bit easer to decide what you would see. One section is my favorite one, the "Generation" who is also split in two Categories... 14plus for the youth films and Kplus for the "little" ones.

This year I found a lot of movies who are girl related.
  • Zeevonk (Belgium)
When her father dies at sea, Lena starts desperately looking for the cause, convinced a sea monster is to blame. Her relentless push against the tide reveals a tale of anger and grief, yet also of the strength and comfort the ocean provides.
  • Dancing Queen (Norway)
A nerdy teenager at the start of a new school year, Mina is keen to fit in. But dance is about to make her stand out. This Norwegian comedy tackles the demons of self-doubt and body-image head on as a young girl dances her fears away.
  • Kiddo (Netherlands)
Out of the children’s home and into the rusty Chevrolet: Lu is whisked away by her eccentric mother, cowboy boots, wigs and sunglasses in tow. On their road trip east, both dream of finally staying together forever.
  • L’Amour du monde (Switzerland)
When teenager Margaux bonds with seven year old Juliette and a local fisherman, her summer holidays turn upside down. An unusual friendship, where Margaux experiences tenderness and play and discovers a new way to understand herself.
  • Mimi (Slovakia)
While searching for her budgie Mimi, Romy roams alone through the forest on the outskirts of town, makes exciting discoveries and meets people full of mysteries. Under her curious and critical gaze, the real and the fantastic merge.
  • Sica (Spain)
Waiting for answers that don’t seem to come, Sica stares at the waves crashing against the coastal rocks. Her father, a fisherman, drowned in the sea. In an isolated corner of the world, Sica doesn’t lose hope. Even if she needs to go against the current.
  • Tótem (Mexico / Denmark / France)
No description yet
  • 20.000 especies de abejas (Spain)
No description yet
  • Im toten Winkel (Germany)
A German film crew is currently filming a documentary in northeastern Turkey. They witness a ritual that a woman performs again and again in order to keep the memory of her missing son alive. The Kurdish translator Leyla is also the nanny of little Melek. When the girl seems to be haunted by a mysterious force, her father Zafer raises the alarm. He works for a shady organization and is torn between loyalty to his employer and fear for his family. (Description from filmstarts.de)

Some shorts who I found, but I didn't think that I will see them...
  • Nanitic (Kanada)
Nine-year-old Trang and her family take care of her dying grandmother. As in an ant colony, each member has an important function. Carol Nguyen sensitively provides insights into the construct of family as a microcosm.
  • Closing Dynasty (USA)
Roaming the streets of New York, Queenie is dead set on one thing: getting money. Following the seven-year-old’s shrewd gaze as she navigates the adult world, the film speaks of things parents try to keep hidden, and of childlike tenacity.

Retrospective (bring some picked classics back to the big screen):
  • Gražuolė (USSR - 1969)
A six-year-old girl is used to being adored. She has an identity crisis when a new boy in the neighbourhood refuses to idolise her. This sensitive portrait of a youngster does not trivialise childhood distress, but takes it seriously.
FLM: viewtopic.php?t=2933
  • Kiseye Berendj (Iran / Japan - 1996)
A young child and her elderly neighbour encounter a host of hurdles buying a bag of rice in the teeming metropolis of Teheran. This formally reductive, yet delightful film features a vivid amateur performance in the child lead.
Full movie on YT with english subs (Bad quality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvCSSeTfaIU

If you are interested in some images / stills, look on this page: https://www.berlinale.de/en/programme/b ... ramme.html
On the left you see the search or you can also using the global search. Page is available in english and german.
[Image]
Triela

Re: Berlinale 2023 - Movies of this year

Post by Triela »   0 likes

do you know if they use volunteers and if yes, can they watch movies for free?
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm do you know if they use volunteers and if yes, can they watch movies for free?
People that do jobs for the festival get access to „private“ screenings of the films again. (Cause they work when the film aired for audiences)
SomeoneFromNorth

Post by SomeoneFromNorth »   0 likes

Already posted Madden btw
Madden practices mastering his high heels behind the barn. In the evening, she is expected to take care of her younger sibling. The longing for teenage life in the city collides with the obligations at home on the farm in a wonderfully beautiful and sensitive portrayal of a young girl's conflicted inner self.
viewtopic.php?t=14718
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

Well done, 4 days are over and I saw lot of movies the last days and even more will coming in the next days

Here are a quick rating who I will gave the movies (max 5 Points) just for the screenings at the Berlinale
- Zeevonk (World Premiere)
• • •
It's a silent and emotional movie with a mystic touch. Also it has parts around friendship and the first love.
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2023/progra ... 06940.html
Girls in the movie: Saar Rogiers as Lena and Dunia Elwaleed as Kaz

- Shen Hai (3D Animated / International premiere)
• • • •
Absolutely colorfull movie, in some parts to fast with to much elements that made it hard to follow but the final part is outstanding. And yep, it has a little animated girl ;-)
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2023/progra ... 07350.html

- Dancing Queen
• • • • •
Typical feel good movie with a simple story but great characters with lot's of great moments. Also, there are some messages hidden in the film that are related to growing up. Stay as you are, don't let others intimidate you and go your way you believe in.
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2023/progra ... 13626.html
Girls in the movie: Liv Elvira Kippersund Larsson as Mimi and Ylva Røsten-Haga as Bella

- Mimi | She – Hero
• •
Was one of my fav. selection this year but sadly it will not reach the level who I was hoped, because it was nothing new for me what I have seen. A little girl searching for his bird and meets different (some strange) people, talking with them until she go ahead.
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2023/progra ... 09085.html
Girl in the movie: Rozmarína Willems as Rommy

- Kiddo
• • • • •
A nice roadmovie with some funny parts / running gags and a good story around the girl and a bit different mother relationship. I personally love the way of filming of this movie, who's a bit special. For example it looks like a 70mm movie and have some selected 4:3 parts to show visual the thought's of the girl.
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2023/progra ... 04726.html
Girl in the movie: Rosa van Leeuwen as Lu

- Im toten Winkel | In the blind spot
• • • •
Interesting thriller who's a german production but play in turkey. It's splitted in three parts and each part showing a different view of the different protagonist's and there is a girl who is very special, because she talking about things who are happen, but she don't see them and say, that she got the info from a guy who is her "invisible friend".
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2023/progra ... 04749.html
Girl in the movie: Çağla Yurga as Melek

Triela wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm do you know if they use volunteers and if yes, can they watch movies for free?
They using a lot of volunteers every year. Most of them are students and working on different places like for the wardrobe, managing the entrance to the cinema or checking the tickets.
And I saw them also in the show or here from them personally, that they get also the chance to see some of the movies. But a festival like the Berlinale is a huge event and there are a lot of screenings in very different cinemas in the same time. I did't know if it's your choice, where you need to work. If you are more interested, I can try to get a bit more information around it.
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks a lot for your reviews, Nasuada.

I really can't wait to watch some of them in a few months. Now we only have to wait until they appear somewhere...
Infinity

Post by Infinity »   0 likes

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself! I'm glad you did! :D
[Image]
Kym Karath is pretty stinkin' cute, read about my favourite 1960s child actress!
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

Infinity wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:49 pm Sounds like you enjoyed yourself! I'm glad you did! :D
Of cause I do and it's nice to have that place here to share it in a special way. And I think it's a Win Win... Because before FLM it was so hard for me to get / watch again some of the movies who I have seen in the past. Now I share my infos here, all users can read the infos about movies and if someone found it, it's again here on FLM and we can talk about the movie :-)

But the best part is, to see the people behind the movies in real (sometimes... Not at all screenings).
[Image]
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes