board restyle

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.

Board Restyle

Poll ended at Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeah i agree with Art to get new life to this amazing board
78%
No! For me Art is crazy he don't see the potential inside this board
11%
No! I like this "sad" colours :-)
11%

Total votes: 9
ARTHORIUS

board restyle

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

You don't think is the time to get a "refresh" to this board? maybe some much colored? or a good background...

New emoticons and new fonts. Do it?
ONE RING TO BRING EM ALL
mimzy

Re: board restyle

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

1. Any volunteers? ;)

2. We are currently running the phpBB 3.0 branch. The 3.1 branch, introduced at the end of October last year, has completely different software architecture, so none of the phpBB 3.0 mods and extensions work with phpBB 3.1! Eventually we will have to upgrade to 3.1, so doing big developments for 3.0 will be a waste of time.

3. We cannot upgrade to 3.1 before FLM extensions have been ported to 3.1. At least the "like" system must be ported!
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

mimzy wrote:1. Any volunteers? ;)

2. We are currently running the phpBB 3.0 branch. The 3.1 branch, introduced at the end of October last year, has completely different software architecture, so none of the phpBB 3.0 mods and extensions work with phpBB 3.1! Eventually we will have to upgrade to 3.1, so doing big developments for 3.0 will be a waste of time.

3. We cannot upgrade to 3.1 before FLM extensions have been ported to 3.1. At least the "like" system must be ported!
Under the circumstances of #3, I vote we wait until we're set up for the upgrade, then upgrade and make any changes we feel appropriate...

kev.
starfish21

Post by starfish21 »   0 likes

No brainer then,it's easy for us to suggest changes,but Mimzy has to do the graft,and i reckon the explanation was pretty clear.
ARTHORIUS

Post by ARTHORIUS »   0 likes

But i think i've no request an impossible thing there's no reason to start a war...the board MUST remain the same but maybe a coloured background is possible. In every boards there's a section to change colours...
ONE RING TO BRING EM ALL
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Have you played around with the board styles available in your user control panel? FLM, FLM-prosilver and prosilver. Maybe that will keep you happy for a few days. :)
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Indeed, any user can currently choose between 3 styles in board preferences.

Seriously, feel free to send me improved CSS or get in touch with me if you want to work on templates. Anybody wanting to develop a cool FLM style based on phpBB 3.1 or help with porting FLM extensions would be welcome too -- that would substantially accelerate the upgrade to 3.1.
donkeykog

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

I am for Arts changes. Or we can remain the dead. They just got a taco emoticon, why can't we get a girl one? Next board meeting in Silicon Valley!
donkeykog

Board relevance/restyle

Post by donkeykog »   1 likes

Although the deadline is days away...The new colors have so far been overwhelmingly voted on and approved by 6 out of 7 people out of a supposed membership of?

The new changes in colors that Art proposed are great, but Art also said "things MUST not change". The anon voting that was put up says that only 7 people so far have interest enough in what happens to this board. If thats good with you all 7, then ok.

I am sorry Phuzzy. I took it personal that you would not do the work to change some things for me on the board. I felt like I did alot of work and was not appreciated. With this anon vote that was put up, I realize that this board in GENERAL is not appreciated anymore by most, so why would you do the work. 4 out of 5 of my personalities apologize. Don't need forgiveness (#5 speaking - ML).

In 2004, youtube was a dream, dial up was the norm and dvds were just becoming common. Pervs and artists counted on FLM for coming of age movies.

Is it just me or are we catering to the few in 2015 that have shit connections. So we post the lowest quality in the smallest size, while most people can get the same files elsewhere in better quality. We are all hit up by China on our ed2ks.

Emule is a dinasaur. If it takes months to get something, get it from somewhere else. And in 2015 most people can.

The board does as Art suggested need a facelift.

This next thing is the hardest.
Some of you want to distance from the pervs. Some say "Stop drooling over kids" and "this is not a pedo board". I would remind those that say that that their own posts are visible back to 2004. They look like hypocrites by anyone that reads or stays here longer then 3 days (very few).

However I am not at all opposed to the NEW board, but how do we identify as a non perv board with all the perv posts that were made by members in the past?

This board needs a MAJOR facelift if it is to be relevant again. Either this is a family board catering to the religious and family values, or this is a perv board. There is no in between. You tried it. You failed. This board is dead. Blessed be the resurrection! Long Live FLM!

It should have been a red flag on the boards relevance when the antis and trolls lost interest in the board.
mimzy

Re: Board relevance/restyle

Post by mimzy »   2 likes

I like the conservatism of FLM, We are one of the few sites that do not have any ads and do not require javascript.

As for new colors, it would be nice to have more styles to choose from, but we would need a web developer who wants to work on it (for free). Just voting for it won't help.

Nobody forces you to use the provided ed2k links, you are free to use FLM only as an info board and get the same files from elsewhere in better quality. What are the alternatives anyway:
* torrents -- OK if you find an open torrent that is seeded, but it usually dries off quickly unless some of us wants to keep seeding. Most ed2k links here can be reshared any time per request.
* filehosting -- painfully slow and limited unless you have a (paid) account. Risk to get infected by malware. Most links will be dead in few years if not sooner.
* usenet -- requires paid account and complex software. Not reliable.
* youtube -- uploaded videos (and account) can be deleted by youtube staff any time if they think that the terms of service are violated.

Family board catering to the religious and family values? Would be an overkill to run a phpBB website for that. You can safely post that crap at facebook.