Extracting files from multipart RAR files

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Louche42

Post by Louche42 »   0 likes

Topic Moved Here By Administrators...
ARTHORIUS wrote:Time to upgrade

DVD-Video
DVD9
MPEG2, 720x480 (4:3), 29.970 fps (NTSC), 5600-7500 Kbps
AC3, 48.000 Hz, 2 channels, 192 Kbps
5.72 GB (6 151 241 728 byte)

splitted here

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/dea127288b ... bro%20DVD9
I have been trying for 2 hours to extract these .rev files with winrar but no luck.
Any help? Or is this link broken? It keeps saying "do you wish to reconstruct missing volumes?" and then "Cannot open The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Louche42 wrote:

DVD-Video
DVD9

splitted here

I have been trying for 2 hours to extract these .rev files with winrar but no luck.
Any help? Or is this link broken? It keeps saying "do you wish to reconstruct missing volumes?" and then "Cannot open The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
You have to download the rar files (all of them) and then to unrar the first part ...
Louche42

Re: [REL] Eu me lembro (2005) [Brazil]

Warg wrote:
Louche42 wrote:

DVD-Video
DVD9

splitted here

You have to download the rar files (all of them) and then to unrar the first part ...
Seriously? Why is this so complicated? I've never even heard of "unrar" until right now.
How am I supposed to know what to use? https://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Louche42 wrote:
Warg wrote:
Louche42 wrote:Seriously? Why is this so complicated? I've never even heard of "unrar" until right now.
I how far is a splitted archive complicated? It's extremely common because many file hosters don't allow the file sizes you would need for a movie in good quality ...
Instead of "unrar" you could also say "unzip", there are many archive programs that do the job (e.g. 7-zip). But rar-files make sometimes (though only rarely) difficulties if you try to use another program than WinRAR - that' why I said "unrar" ...
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Louche42 wrote:Seriously? Why is this so complicated? I've never even heard of "unrar" until right now.
RAR has been around for a LONG time and is probably used more than .zip, especially if a large file has to be split into smaller chunks in order for a file host to accept them. It often creates much smaller files than zip, has better password encryption, can recover information from damaged archives, and can load and save to many different formats, not just rar. Unrar is a free program that lets you extract rar files without buying anything.

"How am I supposed to know what to use?"
Try Google.com or DuckDuckGo.com. I'm not being facetious or trying to be a smartass. I've done tech support for almost 30 years and I can't count the number of times a simple 3 minute search would have answered someone's question if they'd just do it.
Louche42

Warg wrote:
Louche42 wrote:
Warg wrote:
I how far is a splitted archive complicated? It's extremely common because many file hosters don't allow the file sizes you would need for a movie in good quality ...
Because, once again, I only get the message "do you wish to reconstruct missing volumes?" and then "Cannot open The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
Better quality doesn't matter much when the damn thing doesn't open.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:"How am I supposed to know what to use?"
Try Google.com or DuckDuckGo.com. I'm not being facetious or trying to be a smartass. I've done tech support for almost 30 years and I can't count the number of times a simple 3 minute search would have answered someone's question if they'd just do it.
Why do you assume I didn't search on google? I did and found nothing helpful for how to get these .rev files or rar files or whatever to open up into an actual movie.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Louche42 wrote:Because, once again, I only get the message "do you wish to reconstruct missing volumes?" and then "Cannot open The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
I've never used rev files up to now. Normally you put all the parts of the splitted archive in the same folder and extract the first part, the rest goes automatically.
I would try to move the rev files out of the folder - maybe that causes the error (at least the question about the reconstruction part) ... :?
Louche42

Warg wrote:I've never used rev files up to now. Normally you put all the parts of the splitted archive in the same folder and extract the first part, the rest goes automatically.
I would try to move the rev files out of the folder - maybe that causes the error (at least the question about the reconstruction part) ... :?
I'm not understanding any of this. Am I supposed to use Winrar or not? I don't even understand what you're expecting this file to do.
Maybe I should just screenshot what I got in my downloads and post it, if that would help.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Louche42 wrote:I'm not understanding any of this. Am I supposed to use Winrar or not? I don't even understand what you're expecting this file to do.
Maybe I should just screenshot what I got in my downloads and post it, if that would help.
Ok. Once again from the start ;) . The normal procedure to extract a splitted archive is:
1, Download all 9 parts of the archive (Eu me lembro.part01.rar to *.part09.rar) and put them into the same folder
2, Extract the first part (if WinRAR gives you a context menu, like 7zip does) - the parts of the archive will then be combined automatically. You can also open the first part - you should then get a list of all the files in the combined (!) archive - and choose the files you want to extract manually (in your case all of them).

There are many archive programs you can use for extraction, WinRAR is of course the best choice for a rar archive.

What I tried to say in the last post is: you should not keep the rev files you have downloaded in the same folder as the rar files. I guess it's them that trigger your error. Probably WinRAR thinks you want to repair a damaged archive not simply extracting it. I'm not sure that this is the solution for your problem but this is what I would try first ... :geek:
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

An .rev file is a REcovery Volume file that contains redundant info to rebuild a RAR file that is damaged or broken. I suggest you may not have downloaded the .rar files successfully and should re-download them, or you can download the film via eMule.

By all means post a screen shot of what you have - that will help us help you.