Extracting files from multipart RAR files

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Eu me lembro (2005) [Brazil]

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Louche42 wrote:Uh huh. Well I dragged the folder to VLC and nothing happened. Of course.
Also I already know that ed2k links do nothing for me. I'm guessing I need to install something additional right?
This is a lot of work for a few fleeting seconds of a movie in slightly better quality.
Without subtitles, I can't actually watch it fully, so can you guess what the purpose of the movie would be to me?
I'm sorry I can't seem to give you the help you need - this film worked 100% for me. It downloaded correctly, it extracted correctly, it played in VLC correctly. Did you first drag the folder onto your desktop or your hard drive, or did you drag it directly from the RAR file to VLC? Dragging the folder out of the RAR onto the hard drive and THEN dragging it to VLC should work. If it doesn't, I don't know the answer because it's in your setup somewhere.

We use eMule as the preferred way to share files. Look at Step-by-Step eMule Setup for help setting up the full eMule. The URLs for things like server lists and IP filters are a little out of date so you should Google for current versions but it should get you going.

The film in this release DOES have subtitles - English, French, Spanish, and Russian. It also has extras - photos, behind the scenes, etc. It has a Menu and everything else a commercial DVD has. Whether all this effort is worth it to you is up to you.
Louche42

Post by Louche42 »   0 likes

And you got subtitles on VLC? I don't think I've ever opened up a DVD in VLC anyway, so honestly I don't know what to expect.
See, right here. I tried to drag the file like you said onto VLC, it just shows the little red "no symbol" on the cursor

Be a lot easier if I just had the actual DVD. It must be pretty hard to find, yes?
Otherwise, it wouldn't be here on this site. Which I gotta ask, what is the real purpose of this site? Is it what I think it is, or is it something more.
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Do we really have a discussion about extracting splitted rar-files over several pages?!?!

It's just so easy: Do a right click on the part1.rar and chose "extract here". That's all.

I tried it for myself with these files and it works.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

ghost wrote:Do we really have a discussion about extracting splitted rar-files over several pages?!?!
The problem is an extreme lack of computer knowledge, every answer leads to an even more basic question. He has to learn how to deal with his pc. It's nothing that can be managed here - not with all patience and good will of the world ... :think
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Warg wrote:
ghost wrote:Do we really have a discussion about extracting splitted rar-files over several pages?!?!
The problem is an extreme lack of computer knowledge, every answer leads to an even more basic question. He has to learn how to deal with his pc. It's nothing that can be managed here - not with all patience and good will of the world ... :think
I'm out of ways to explain it. I even showed the steps with pictures but for whatever reason, I'm not making myself clear. 25 posts for the same issue, none of them related to the film itself. Time to move along.
Louche42 wrote:Which I gotta ask, what is the real purpose of this site? Is it what I think it is, or is it something more.
Please read POSTING GUIDELINES - PLEASE READ!.
Louche42

Post by Louche42 »   0 likes

It's just so easy: Do a right click on the part1.rar and chose "extract here". That's all.
I tried it for myself with these files and it works.
I just did that and it did the exact same thing as before. Still won't open up as full movie in VLC. So I don't know what you're talking about.
Phuzzy4242 wrote:I even showed the steps with pictures but for whatever reason, I'm not making myself clear. 25 posts for the same issue, none of them related to the film itself. Time to move along.
Yes, I read that. Still seems oddly vague.
I want to thank you for all your assistance, but I don't appreciate being talked down to just because I'm not a computer expert. I did everything as you said and it didn't work. "Drag it onto VLC" It doesn't work.
I was, however, able to open up separate parts of the movie in a different app. Just a shame that I couldn't get it working with subtitles.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Extracting files from multipart RAR files

Post by ghost »   0 likes

"Drag it onto VLC" It doesn't work
What you've downloaded is a complete DVD (not a single video file).
There is a folder called VIDEO_TS. Insinde this folder you find several *.VOB files.
The main movie of this DVD are the files VTS_01_1.VOB - VTS_01_5.VOB.

You need a video encoding software to transform the DVD to a mp4 or a mkv or whatever.

I recommand you to use HandBrake (https://handbrake.fr/).

For further assistance your friend google can help you.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: Extracting files from multipart RAR files

Double-click on the first RAR file.
Drag the folder inside it to your desktop.
NOW drag and drop it onto VLC.
VLC should now display a menu - use your mouse to select.

We're not talking down to you, we're trying to help, but for whatever reason, the message isn't getting across. At least three other people besides myself had zero problems with this so it ain't on our end of things. Either you have computer problems or you're not doing something correctly. I don't know which, and frankly, don't know how to fix it. If you have a computer-savvy friend locally who can help you, it might solve the issue.

This is a DVD image so it requires all the files to be available so they can interact with each other. If you only pull a single .vob file out of the rar, that portion will play, but the rest of the files aren't available, they're still locked away. It's like a book - you can rip one page out at a time and read each one individually, but it's a lot easier to take the whole book off the shelf and read the whole thing, including a table of contents (menu). As ghost says, you can use other software to make a single file out of it, but that's another subject altogether.

And with that, this topic is closed.