Cool little trick to delete "undeletable / non-existing" files and folders

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Warg

Cool little trick to delete "undeletable / non-existing" files and folders

Post by Warg »   1 likes

A nasty problem with Windows are files and folders that are "undeletable" especially if the same system that still displays them tells you they are not longer existing. I had this problem today in my Incoming folder and found this remarkable non-invasive cure ;) for which you do not need any special program:

step 1: close all programs that may still have access to the non-existent file / folder - if necessary, also reboot
step 2: call an installed zip-program and select the 'un-erasable'
step 3: create an archive with the special option, 'delete files after compression' - this click is really important!
step 4: the zip program generally sends everything into the archive and deletes the 'un-erasable' ...
step 5: in general, the created zip archive (without compression) can then easily be deleted and appears in the recycle bin for final delete

For me it worked without any problem and maybe it can be useful for others too ... :)
Tiny Blondie

Re: Cool little trick to delete "undeletable / non-existing" files and folders

Post by Tiny Blondie »   0 likes

Yeap, good to know, something I have never tried. I use both Windows and Linux, so if the problem occurs on a external HD or USB key, usually Linux can get rid of the problem, but on the HD where Windows is installed, not always easy: name of files too long or when it uses non ASCII characters. Thanks !
Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta.