[REL] Tirlittan (1958)

kev
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Tirlittan (1958)

Post by kev »   3 likes

Hoakey McDoaky; if nobody else is going to address this oddly irrelevant, [yet agonizingly annoying to someone like me with OCD] little visual anomaly in this film, I will!!

What the YELL is up with the freakin' flip floppin' of the name on her sweat shirt?? :shock:

[Image]
[Image]

I noticed it in the pictures and just thought some of the images were just printed reversed.. THEN I watched the movie.... :o

SERIOUSLY!? :eyecrazy
~Is this the way Finnish people normally behave?

~ Does 'Tirlittan' mean 'backwards' in Finnish, hence a play on the word for most of the film?

~ Was this an integral part of the film's plot that was addressed in the dialogue and I missed it because I'm too much of a lazy assh*le to learn Finnish?

~ Did the first 3/4's of the film stock just get twisted and printed that way?

~ Was she just wearing the shirt inside out for the first 3/4's of the film and not one living soul on set caught it?

~ If so: Where in the holy hell was the Continuity Editor for the last part of the film to say; "Well SH*T... We virtually made the whole film with the damn thing back-ass-wards, don't friggin' change it now..."

I KNOW this is absolutely irrelevant as to the ability to enjoy the film for normal people. But for me... It drove me crazy. Every moment she faced the camera my eyes were riveted to her shirt [NO! NOT looking at her titty bumps!!] checking the direction of the letters..

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here's what I discovered:

[Image]
She crawls out of the water... The shirt's back-ass-wards.

[Image]
"Doopty, doopty, doopty-do. Walkin' down the road.." Still back-ass-wards..

[Image]
"Hey sweetcheeks, you know your shirt's on inside out?"

[Image]
"SCREW YOU!!"

[Image]
"Umm, cutipie, you know your name's spelled backwards?"

[Image]
"Seriously, honeypot, I can help you change your shirt back inside out.."

[Image]
"SCREW YOU, TOO! PERV!!!!"

[Image]
OMG!!! It's spelled the right direction!! Is this the big change??

[Image]
DAMN!! No... HEY!! CONTINUITY EDITOR, CONTINUITY EDITOR!!! :(

[Image]
"Hey sweetie wait up. Has anyone told you your shirt's inside out?"

[Image]
"Ummm.. No?.."

[Image]
"I'm so tired of peeps buggin' me about my shirt.. Think I'll skinny sun-bathe for awhile..."

[Image]
"Doopty, doopty, doopty-do. Think I'll put my shirt back on.." {TIME STAMP: 49:44} (Ok.. Ok.. I WAS lookin' at her titty bumps here... :twisted: )

[Image]
!!!

[Image]
!!!

[Image]
"I can fly! I can fly!! And my name is going the right direction now!!"

[Image]
OMG.. Continuity Editor. Check the shirt, I think it's back-ass-wards again...

[Image]
"Holy Splitz!! That shirt was a pain-in-the-arse, glad I got this pretty dress to wear.."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, but it seriously drove me nuts..

Great little movie though. Kinda reminded me of 'Sabine Kleist, 7 Jahre...' [ https://www.first-loves.com/forums/v ... 2C+7+Jahre... ] and other movies of that ilk. :heart :heart :heart

Thanks saroyan & ghost for bringing this to FLM and making it happen. Thanks for the added info, Phuzzy!! Once again; great teamwork all around!

kev.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

This is the most entertaining post I have read in some time. Thank you, kev!

She was wearing the pajama top inside-out. You can see the seams. When it is worn correctly, there is a pocket visible, in which she keeps the coin. (When she is wearing it backwards she puts the coin INSIDE the shirt.) It is right-way-out when on the bush while she goes skinny dipping, but she puts it back ON wrong way. Later she washes her clothes with a bar of soap she discovers, and takes a nap while they dry in the sun. She puts the top back on "correctly" and wears it so until the change to the hospital gown. I can not tell what direction she is wearing it while covered with a blanket on the stretcher!

I was also waiting for her name to be forwards, but I think the continuity was correct. I admit I may have missed an error while trying to follow the story. I guess I have to watch it again!
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   2 likes

Night457 wrote:This is the most entertaining post I have read in some time. Thank you, kev!

She was wearing the pajama top inside-out. You can see the seams. When it is worn correctly, there is a pocket visible, in which she keeps the coin. (When she is wearing it backwards she puts the coin INSIDE the shirt.) It is right-way-out when on the bush while she goes skinny dipping, but she puts it back ON wrong way. Later she washes her clothes with a bar of soap she discovers, and takes a nap while they dry in the sun. She puts the top back on "correctly" and wears it so until the change to the hospital gown. I can not tell what direction she is wearing it while covered with a blanket on the stretcher!

I was also waiting for her name to be forwards, but I think the continuity was correct. I admit I may have missed an error while trying to follow the story. I guess I have to watch it again!
Thanks for your response, Night457. :thumbsup

However, it appears that we're the only members that this issue seems to bother. :think

It's been WELL over a week since I made that post and yours is the only response. BUT you made an observation that might have something to do with whatever reasoning the filmmakers had for this mysterious back-asswards shirting: 8-)
Night457 wrote:...Later she washes her clothes with a bar of soap she discovers, and takes a nap while they dry in the sun. She puts the top back on "correctly" and wears it so until the change to the hospital gown...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Observe:

*The shirt is inside out up to the point where she takes her 'I'm-a-comfy-girl' outfit off and gives it a scrub-a-dub-dub and then hangs both articles of clothing on the dock railing to dry..

*As she awaits the drying process she lays out on the dock au naturel, seemingly contemplating her lot in life.

*Resting comfortably she notices the sounds of other children out swimming.

*As she gets up and watches them playing happily, perhaps THIS is where she realizes how FOOLISH she's been to wear her clothes [well actually just the shirt, as I never noticed any 'bunny ears' on her pants] inside out.

*After she re-dresses the world is the way it should be and she runs off and joins the circus where she almost dies. :icon_party

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the fact nobody else seems to give a flying frig about this issue, I find it a MAJOR distraction to the point that I KNOW in my heart there HAS to be a reason for this. THERE HAS TO BE:

IT'S...........TOO..........OBVIOUS!! :shock:

Anyway, I think I've gotten it outta my system now..

The main thing I guess we should take away from this movie is: Sweet little girls should always wear pretty little dresses instead of frumpy ol' work-out clothes, no matter how comfy they might be. :think

Oh! And stay away from the friggin' circus! It'll friggin' kill you!! :twisted:

kev.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

It has been so long I had to look at the video again to remind myself of the details.

I would not say I was BOTHERED by the inside-out clothes. I appreciate personal eccentricities. That girl definitely has character!

I think it comes down to the fact that if you pull a shirt over your head by its neck, it stays the same direction, and if you pull it by the hem you flip it inside out. I guess Tirlittan varies how she removes her shirts, and that determines how they go back on.

I assumed that if I understood Finnish or we had subtitles, some of the strange goings-on might make more sense . . . but perhaps they won't. Maybe it is just a weird film.
David32441

Re: [REQ] Tirlittan (1958)

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
deadman wrote:
ghost wrote:You should watch it. Some very interesting scenes ;)
Does this come from a blu-ray? Looks like it, but I can't find any mention of an official release.
Elonet is streamin site of our national AV archive. They have rights for about 450 movies which they scan to 4k from the original source (same way they do 4k blurays).
As you wrote "our", can you understand it? If so it'd be great to have somebody type it up - even a rough translation like:
00h01m40s. Hello
00h01m45s. What's your name
... then somebody else can volunteer to do the split second accurate timing and make the subtitle (.SRT) file. I'd volunteer. Might help some of us understand the constant shirt switching!
Also, any other interesting films in the national archives? It's good of the country to digitise them and put them online!
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »   2 likes

David32441 wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
deadman wrote: Does this come from a blu-ray? Looks like it, but I can't find any mention of an official release.
Elonet is streamin site of our national AV archive. They have rights for about 450 movies which they scan to 4k from the original source (same way they do 4k blurays).
As you wrote "our", can you understand it? If so it'd be great to have somebody type it up - even a rough translation like:
00h01m40s. Hello
... then somebody else can volunteer to do the split second accurate timing and make the subtitle (.SRT) file. I'd volunteer. Might help some of us understand the constant shirt switching!
Also, any other interesting films in the national archives? It's good of the country to digitise them and put them online!
oh boy, you gave me a "small" job! :D i´ll see what i can do. Won´t promise anything, but i´ll give it a shot.
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
David32441 wrote:
Rumpelstiltskin wrote: Elonet is streamin site of our national AV archive. They have rights for about 450 movies which they scan to 4k from the original source (same way they do 4k blurays).
00h01m40s. Hello
oh boy, you gave me a "small" job! :D i´ll see what i can do. Won´t promise anything, but i´ll give it a shot.
:shock: !! Awesome if you can! I'm sure there's a lot here who would be very happy!!
VidGuy

Post by VidGuy »   3 likes

OK. First a disclaimer:

1) I understand not a single word of Finnish
2) I'm somewhat hard of hearing.
3) The sound quality isn't too good to begin with, and a lot of the actors and the narrator seem to be mumbling really bad.

So don't ask me if this is correct in any way, shape or form. But I did some experiments with OpenAI/Whisper ...

https://github.com/openai/whisper

.. and this SRT Data is the result:

Finnish:
Tirlittan (1958).1080p.fi.zip
English in next Post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VidGuy

Post by VidGuy »   3 likes

And the translation to English:
Tirlittan (1958).1080p.en.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thank you so VERY much VidGuy, and congratulations on your first FLM posts!!

(I took your spoilered text and saved it to SRT files, then Zipped and included them as Attachments in your posts instead. [See "Attachments" under the Post editing window to see where that can be done.] This is a much easier and more effective way of including subtitles rather than copy-pasting a large amount of text.)

I completely understand the limitations of speech-to-text as well as machine-translation, particularly for a language like Finnish which does not seem to be especially well understood by Google. Regardless, I am VERY excited about these subtitles and will be watching the movie again with them. This is MUCH appreciated!

:thumbsup