How to share?

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Nasuada

How to share?

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Ok, I download some videos here but I also will give, but how that would working here.

Did I just need to put the movie in the sharing folder of my eMule installation, write the thread and post the eMule Link in that?

And I think I need to let my Computer on for the whole time to share the file on eMule... Right? So around that my little problem is, that I let run eMule on my emulation who are running on an external disc. But I would not let run that every time, because it consume lot of resources. How that would work? If somone from the staff would load the movie to let it online?

And around security...
I would prefer to using a VPN connection if I share something. I have installed a VPN Software under Windows and it works well, but since them eMule show me in the connectuon status for eD2K and KAD two yellow arrows. Or did you have some other tips around that?
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Re: How to share?

Post by ghost »   0 likes

You're exactly right: Just put the video files in your shared folder and eMule will hash them and give it to the world ;)

Of course it's a good idea in any case to let your computer (and the mule) run as long as you can. Ohterwise your shares won't spread much.

About using a VPN: You have to open your incoming ports for eMule. It's only possible, if you have a VPN service who allows port forwarding. These VPN's are rare. AirVPN should be a good choice for that.
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

Ghost is right. The reason you have two yellow arrows is you have "lowid". This means the connection between you and anyone else has to be mediated by a server instead of going directly from your computer to another. That makes transfers take much much longer, both uploading AND downloading. With port forwarding, the ports eMule uses to communicate with the web are opened so it can talk directly to other computers. You must open those same ports in your router, and if you use VPN you must have the VPN host ALSO open those ports. The arrows turn green because you now have "highid" and transfers are much faster.

You can throttle eMules' maximum upload speed if needed. To share files, copy them into your shared folder and press the "Reload" button in the Shared Files tab in eMule. The file will be hashed and you can then right-click it. On the menu that pops up, click "Priority (Upload)", then click "Release" to give it a higher priority than the rest your shared files. Right-click the filename again and click "Copy eD2K Links" and paste that into your post on FLM.

Many people can't use eMule for one reason or another and the solution is to upload the file to a file host, then post the link as a [REQ] here and someone will download it from the file host and post the ed2k link. That way you only use your bandwidth once.

We don't mind if you download from FLM without sharing - most people never even say "hello" or "thanks", let alone try to give anything back. Trying to do so shows you're a cut above the rest and we appreciate it.
Nasuada

Thanks for the quick feedback around that. My VPN Service (tigerVPN) give me not the option, to open some ports and I think I will not switch no to another VPN, because I have a lifetime access to Tiger VPN. It's not the best VPN Service, but it works.

So the option to upload the file to a hoster and put it to a [REQ] Status, is the better way at the moment. I would prefer that one :-)
Are there any hints for a good hoster who I can Upload the ~5 GB File for free?

And when I have booth Admins here... I would Upload the movie "Upp i det blå". I try to search it, but didn't found it as uploaded file. I'm right with that?
Trying to do so shows you're a cut above the rest and we appreciate it.
Thank you for that nice words too. I understand what you mean. I know that most people will safe the time to type something and hit on send... This are lot's of steps ;-) But you can think about a simple "Thank you" button or so. So if somone share the file, the people can say "Thanks" with a simple click.
I found that ones here for example:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2397266
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2259046
[Image]
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   0 likes

I can't recommend a hoster because I don't use them, but we already have a "thank you button" - it's the "Like" thumbs-up you click when you want to see the ed2k link. Unfortunately, people usually only "Like" the post with the ed2k link because they have to do that download it - they don't think to say 'thanks' with a like to the original poster. I give likes to anyone who posts a link, ed2k or DD, even if I don't download the film.

I did a search for Upp i det blå and didn't find it. Feel free to post any film you want as long as it's on-topic. Even if a film is already here, if what you have is an improvement, those are always welcome too.
Nasuada

Thanks for the hint with the like button... I didn't recognized it yet.

And around my upload.... I will try to found a hoster. If someone having a tip, let me know.
[Image]
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

Nasuada wrote:Thanks for the hint with the like button... I didn't recognized it yet.

And around my upload.... I will try to found a hoster. If someone having a tip, let me know.
I found Mega ( https://mega.nz ) is a good host. Really simple to host on so you can put the file out, then others can get it and share it into Emule.
I would suggest getting 7zip and splitting anything that's GB in size into aprox 400mb chunks. It'll name the parts like 001 002 etc. Then if one bit fails / the connection drops then somebody can re-get just that one part. Just find the file, right click and choose "add to archive..." -> in the section "split to volume bytes" (and write "400M" - no quotes). No point changing the compression to a fast format - most modern video codecs will only compress to 99% their size - ie. near identical to original. It might take 5+minutes to make the files even on a newish PC. Then Mega has a simple drag-drop uploader.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

ghost wrote:You're exactly right: Just put the video files in your shared folder and eMule will hash them and give it to the world ;)
Some eMule clients will hash the file(s) you've just put into your shared folder only when you click the "reload" button on the 'shared files' tab, or when you restart your client.
Once it has been hashed, it will appear in the list of shared files. Right click->ed2k link->copy, and paste it in a forum post here.