[REL] The Haunting of Bly Manor (2020) TV-Series

Ziggy Plock

Re: [REL] The Haunting of Bly Manor (2020) TV-Series

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

kev wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 am
Quickone wrote:The Haunting of Hill house was better.
Seriously?? :shock:

In this time where it seems like we're pulling eyeteeth just hoping that members might take the time to post a comment on threads made by contributing members, I DON'T want to embarrass or mock anyone that's taking the time to post something.

It's just...: If you're going to make the effort to post a comment; please, PLEASE, post something positive and useful.
There are negative comments here, just look at the thread about the 6 year old Argentinian transgender...those deserve to be called out.

kev wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:51 am So actually, right off the bat, I can see the argument that 'Hill House' might be better due to 'Girl Content' alone. 4 girls compared to 1 girl in THIS series... :lol:
It's ....lovely(?) how you undermine your own ranting.....if not 'lovely', then at least 'remahkable' .... :mrgreen:
( 'Hill House' series here if the children's content makes it OT enough...) :think
McKenna Grace alone makes it OT.
I HAVE always been a 'Turn of the Screw' fan and have happily taken time out to watch any of the re-hashes of THAT storyline that have been released through the years. A few have been really good.
Please share. Which ones were really good IYHO ???
Maybe "La tutora" because that girl goes OT? Or which?
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   2 likes

Hmmmm... Been a tad over a year since Ziggy's graced our hallowed site with his presence.. :think

I hope all is well with ZP and RL is just keeping them too busy to pop in... :thumbsup

As for this series... I finally was able to muddle through it last week. (As yet, I STILL haven't watched 'Haunting of Hill House'. :wall )

I TRULY hope that Quickone was right, and that the 'Haunting of Hill House' series is better. It needs to be MUCH better in fact, as I found THIS series rather abysmal. :( (I hate finding out about a movie/series that is going to be released and feeling the excitement and anticipation building up inside, only to be slapped down hard when it turns out badly.)

I had a LOT riding on Mike Flannigan's ability to create exciting, haunting coming-of-age horror after viewing 'Occulus'. '..Bly Manor', for me, was a major disappointment.

Taking the story of 'The Turn of the Screw' and dragging it out to a little over 8 hours was a daunting challenge to begin with. Unfortunately the 'filler' that Flannigan bloated the series with did not enhance the story or the series' watch-ability, at least not for me.. AND I watched the entire series. I made myself do it!! I was actually ready to give up on it after the second or third episode. Which ever one it was that they introduced the concept of 'Tucking Away'... :evil:

Time to 'Spoiler-ize' my post:...:
Spoiler:

'Oily friggin' 'ell!!!

TUCKING AWAY!!!!

What the hell??? :wall Was Mike Flannigan trying to create a friggin' catch phrase? A phrase that when something similar happens in real life, people who have seen the series will say; "Oh, I guess I was 'tucked away' for a bit." ..and then when people ask 'what the hell does that mean?', they'll give the best explanation that they can from their understanding/interpretation of what 'Tucked Away' could mean from watching the series. And perhaps Mike hopes that THOSE people in turn will start using it causing it to catch on further, and WHAMMO! Mike Flannigan has added another meaningless phrase into the lexicon of Pop Culture! :wall

What was annoying as hell was that pretty much EVERY significant character [alive, dead, or imaginary] had some kind of 'Tucking Away' going on, usually lasting an entire episode. Oh... At this point I guess I better explain what MY interpretation of 'Tucking Away' is:

'Where a character's spirit slides effortlessly from one point in time to another, with no apparent continuity other than being connected by opening doors, waking up, hearing someone call out, ect, ect...' At times the characters are not aware of this 'Tucking Away' but when it finally becomes apparent, it is extremely annoying.

But not NEAR as annoying as it is to the audience who has to waste minutes after minutes [which DO friggin' add up over 8 friggin' hours] watching scenes repeat themselves in hopes that perhaps the characters gain a better understanding of their lot in life [or death]. For me, it all tended to muddy the plot, despite trying to create a bit of empathy even to the more despicable characters..

*SIGH* ...And then there all the ridiculous 'PC' bs thrown in to make the series 'woke' and palatable for your more discerning 'Modern' audience... But I won't bother bitching about all that. :roll:

I just wish that Amelie Bea Smith [as Flora] could have saved this mish-mash, but alas, 'twas not to be..
Anyway. Can't have a winner every time, I guess. I just had better hopes for this show. :( :bigups

NOW I need to search my external drives [I do NOT have ANY type of cataloging system for my drives, so THAT could be a problem; with about 15 drives to go through..] and find the 'Haunting of Hill House' series. With four cuties instead of just one, THAT should enhance the VISUAL factor for the series, right off the bat... :hope:

kev.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Thanks for the write up on this, kev. I appreciate being able to find little reviews about TV shows especially, since they are a bit more of a time sink. I have heard really great things about Hill house, so maybe I'll that one a try someday. I spook pretty easily, though. Anyways, that dollhouse in the 5th screenshot is ridiculously massive.

I don't think the Ziggster is going to make a comeback. I hope we get a few more posting members this year though!

I am going to have to check out one of "The Turn of the Screw" films and give it a try, too.

But, you're right. Can't have a winner every time, and with the amount of shows out there, it is nice to know when one is skippable.
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

I'm a HUGE fan of Mike Flanagan, but yeah this series was a bit of a miss for me as well. it almost felt like an adult adaptation of a Goosebumps book in terms of how goofy the plot and twists became. I personally found Hill House significantly better (and Midnight Mass even better than that.) But he does have a habit of sometimes sliding into overly verbose dialogue, melodrama, cheesy moment, etc.

In a way, I aprpreciate his quirks, because I can always tell when I'm watching a Mike Flanagan movie and not some committee produced blockbuster, but I can understand it's not for everyone(because it's not even for me always.)

One movie of his that is(IMO) better than it has any right to be the "Ouija: Origin of Evil", I really enjoyed Lulu Wilson's role in that one.