iTunes DRM seems to have defeated all stripper utilities

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
deadman

iTunes DRM seems to have defeated all stripper utilities

Post by deadman »   0 likes

From what I can tell, no program for stripping the DRM off an iTunes .m4v video file works now. I tried TunesKit and a number of others, all produce similar output - a file with audio and subs but no video. I can't even use older versions of iTunes as they're no longer compatible with recently downloaded files. Only newer versions that the stripping tools can't work with will play downloads anymore.

Does anyone know of a utility that still works? :evil:
ghost
Site Admin

Re: iTunes DRM seems to have defeated all stripper utilities

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I am using iTunes 12.9.0 with TunesKit and removing the DRM is still working on my side. I just tried it again.
deadman

ghost wrote:I am using iTunes 12.9.0 with TunesKit and removing the DRM is still working on my side. I just tried it again.
Did you try a recent download, something you purchased in the last week or two? My older files will still convert but not the newer ones.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Did you try a recent download, something you purchased in the last week or two?
No. It was a video that I purchased about 1 year ago. I have no actual purchases and don't wanna spend money only for testing :(

So I can't test it atm...
jezevex

Post by jezevex »   0 likes

And what about this "testing" https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... =51&t=3076 ?

The movie looks promising...

Thx, Jez.
deadman

jezevex wrote:And what about this "testing" https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... =51&t=3076 ?

The movie looks promising...

Thx, Jez.
Ha ha ha. This is exactly the movie I rented (purchases are not available) hoping to post. Earlier versions of iTunes won't play it at all. The later ones that will don't work with TunesKit or any of a bunch of DRM removal programs I tried yesterday. Screw Apple as far as I'm concerned. I won't give them another dollar until I see that someone's utility has been updated to deal with whatever BS they've added to their DRM.

Too bad. I've watched Marie s'en va-t-en ville and it would've made a nice addition. :(
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

Have you tried using an older version of iTunes? The latest version hasn't been figured out yet.
https://www.notecable.com/video-convert ... ndows.html
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

emuler wrote:Have you tried using an older version of iTunes? The latest version hasn't been figured out yet.
https://www.notecable.com/video-convert ... ndows.html
Yes, I tried that. The older versions DRM stripping software does work with won't play the new downloads anymore. You get a blank screen in the iTunes player, and those external utilities don't detect the file. If you add it manually the best you can do is the same. Audio and subs but no video. Many programs won't allow the file to be added. They don't "see" it. The only difference with the latest player is that you can watch the movie in iTunes. Still won't convert properly.

I've never been fond of Apple as a company, I don't like the way they do business with all their proprietary bullshit. If I can't keep the movies I've purchased or watch them using other software (iTunes player sucks) then I'm certainly not going to support the greedy bastards. When someone cracks the latest security update I'll re-rent the movie and give it another shot.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Another way to get the movie is to capture your screen.

A program like Mirillis Action! works pretty perfect, you just have to use the correct framerate.
I did this before with iTunes and got a very good result.

Just as a last opinion, until this DRM problem can be solved... :cry:
deadman

ghost wrote:Another way to get the movie is to capture your screen.

A program like Mirillis Action! works pretty perfect, you just have to use the correct framerate.
I did this before with iTunes and got a very good result.

Just as a last opinion, until this DRM problem can be solved... :cry:
Thanks Ghost. I'll check it out, and see if I can get a rip before my rental expires.

May I just say how stupid it is to have time limits on videos? Next thing you know, they'll be charging you extra for not rewinding the rental before you return it to the iTunes store. :mrgreen: