[REL] Un confine incerto (2019)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Un confine incerto (2019)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Before I release my final corrected version of the English subtitles for this, I would like to reach out to the FLM community in the hopes that there might be ITALIAN or GERMAN speakers that can help with one tiny bit of dialog. Is there anyone qualified who has this and is willing to check out one scene to help? My preference is for a translation from the original Italian, but a better translation of the German version would also help greatly.

It is at 13:55 - 14:02 in ghost's original Italian release, and
13:28 - 13:35 in his new Italian release as well as the German dub.

In the German subtitle it is a question of "Oberarsch oder Sub-Buba?"

oberarsch can be top ass, upper ass, douche nozzle, fuckwad, supreme idiot, super asshole.
sub-buba does not (in any Google result) seem to mean anything in German or any other language. I had to investigate further to try and find a satisfactory English equivalent, and that is where I am really not sure.

In the German dub he says something I can not make out. "super scheiße ... ???"

In the original Italian it sounds like he says "stronzi ... boobs".

I know that stronzi are assholes, fuckers or douchebags.
If he says "boobs", I assume that has the same informal meaning as in English, "a foolish or stupid person".

I really would rather not be a BOOB by mistranslating what appears to be an important distinction to Richi. Can anyone help? Thanks.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

"Oberarsch" means something like "super asshole" or "biggest asshole". It's hard to get an exact translation into English. I really don't know what they mean with "Sub-Buba". I think it's just a phantasy word.

"Super Scheiße!" in German can be translated into "Shit!" or "Fuck!" or "Goddamn!".
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote:I really don't know what they mean with "Sub-Buba". I think it's just a phantasy word.
I was afraid of that. Richi seems like the kind of goofball who would make up such words. I am glad Google is not conspiring to keep obscure German insults from the rest of the world.

I have also considered the possibility that he was using a Ladin insult in his Italian conversations, but the scanty online Ladin dictionaries do not recognize it either.

Thank you, I now have some German input. Any Italians who can shed some light?
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Ha, ha. Deciphering bad words in other languages is fun. Very colourful, too, especially the made-up ones. In a Tom Clancy novel they used the acronym REMF - Rear Echelon Mother Fucker.
Night457
Global Moderator

It is embarrassing to me to realize that I am most likely to know the bad words in other languages rather than anything else, like my knowing by sight or sound "stronzi" and "scheiße".

I guess that is at least a start.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   30 likes

Complete corrected English subtitles for ALL dialog
(Italian, Ladin, German, Romanian, English):
Un confine incerto (2019).1080p.en.zip
Like this post to see ed2k links  [56.6 Kb]

The translation of the German dialog portions I created from transcribing and translating the Italian hard-subs in ghost's original release (before he replaced it). I am glad the effort I put in turned out to be worthwhile!

SPUTO / SPUCKE

The young guy repeatedly calls the little girl "Spit", which I think is an unusual nickname. I promise you that it gets explained near the end of the film.

STRONZI / OBERARSCH and SUB-BUBA

The first two can be reasonably translated as "asshole".

Nobody seems to know what a "Sub-Buba" is, so I chose to translate it by thinking about the context. He seems to be asking "Would you rather be an unpleasant person who is always in control, or a nice naive person who is taken advantage of by others?"

This brought to mind English words like dupe, sucker or patsy. I chose "chump".

Therefore, ASSHOLES vs. CHUMPS.

Of course there is irony in what he turns out to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thanks a lot for all the work you put in correcting so many subtitles. Also for this one! :think :thumbsup

I will replace it with my an updated the link in my release.
The young guy repeatedly calls the little girl "Spit", which I think is an unusual nickname.
BTW: In the German dubbed version he calls her "Spätzchen" which means little sparrow.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

ghost wrote:Thanks a lot for all the work you put in correcting so many subtitles.
I simply do not have the bandwidth to do many releases like some folks can, but I want to give back to FLM in some way. Subtitles take no bandwidth, and insomnia gives me time to work on them, ha ha!

As much as I have found that I can watch, enjoy and understand - to a certain extent - many movies without having subtitles, I do still get a greater appreciation for them when I understand them better. Even subtitles machine-translated from a second language will shed a great deal of light on the characters and plot. If I only expect to watch something once, then a down-and-dirty quick job is perfectly fine. But if I watch something a second time, even misspellings and odd grammar stick in my eyes like a handful of dust. I gotta fix it. This is something that is easy for me and a pleasure when it is a film I care about. When I did the Pippi Långstrump (1969) [TV series], that was actually FUN. If people observed me laughing at the dialog as I carefully parsed the original Swedish, they might think me kind of crazy.

"Un confine incerto" was a movie that had me gripped from start to finish without subtitles, and I care about it intensely. I had to have it translated, and was so happy when you came up with the subs. There are unsubtitled movies where I have sought out the original book in desperation to understand it better. That is not too tough when it is Astrid Lindgren. (Admittedly, the movies made from her work are very easy to understand untranslated.) I almost did it for "Mario und der Zauberer" but I figured a Thomas Mann novel just might be too much of a time investment and a hard slog, so I did not do it. Now today I find out that one is only 47 pages!!!

I also remember the bad old days of VHS and cheap import DVDs, when I would watch Hong Kong action movies with badly translated and spelled burned-in Chinese & English subtitles. Even today, I see supposedly professionally translated and released Blu-ray subtitles with errors and what I KNOW are mistranslations. Now that I am freed from that with technology that permits the editing of subtitles, I just can not resist doing it.
BTW: In the German dubbed version he calls her "Spätzchen" which means little sparrow.
Awww, that's so sweet. Nothing at all like a gob of phlegm-filled saliva. I did notice that there were some other differences between the (presumably mostly literally translated) German subtitles and the German dub, because I know a handful of German words. Some of the dirty words, anyway.
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Your work is highly appreciated, Night457. I've downloaded several films only after you've posted your subtitles.

On rare occasions, bad subtitles can be so bad they're actually funnier than the correct ones. When Jack and the Beanstalk (2010) was released, someone very kindly mad English subtitles, even though he didn't know English very well. They were hilarious - we enjoyed them even more than we did the film itself. Poor guy tied himself up in knots trying to figure out stuff like "Fee Fie Foe Fum - I smell the blood of an Englishman".
Night457
Global Moderator

emuler wrote:I've downloaded several films only after you've posted your subtitles.
Well, I hope that I have convinced you to watch some good ones, then. (I will still post subs for mediocre material. A little more comprehension at least makes them watchable. Sometimes I even nail down subtitles before my first viewing, so I don't even know if the film is good at all!)
When Jack and the Beanstalk (2010) was released, someone very kindly mad English subtitles, even though he didn't know English very well.
Chloe Grace Moretz before Kick Ass and Let Me In? Wallace Shawn, Chris Lloyd, Chevy Chase, Katey Sagal and James Karen?!?! Yet another 20th century Hollywood film that I had no clue about. I need to stop being such a snob, have a drink and check this one out.

I don't suppose anyone has archived those fractured subtitles for it?