The future.

Having a problem or need a question answered? Request any form of help here, technical or non-technical.
Kondulista

The future.

Post by Kondulista »   1 likes

Hello fellow movie lovers.

I only joined this forum yesterday after lurking around a bit. But already I see a huge problem. Time. All downloads here are on what I call a dead protocol. Ed2k. Its not maintained as I can tell, some problems people use havnt been updated in 10+ years. So for safety and just modern comfort there is really no future in ed2k.

My platform only offers one ed2k program and as far as I can tell its the only one still being updated. Amule. It runs for 10-20 seconds and then have to be restarted. Each time I get 1 mb or so. Ive made a script to close and open Amule every 15 sec, so i dont have to sit in front of the computer all day. But still getting a 3gb movie will take weeks.

And in my tech mind Im just thinking. Why ? a 4tb drive, 1gbit internet and any torrent program would be able to blast the current system out of the water by lightyears. If I had all the cotent from this site I would be able and willing to do just that. Im sure others would be able to as well.

I know changing everything in this area is not easy. But trust me it is truely needed if there is to be in future here.

Kind regards
A movei lover.
emuler

Re: The future.

Post by emuler »   0 likes

I don't know which platform you are using. If it supports a way to run Windows apps, you could try regular eMule, or the 64 bit version eMule 0.60c. Any downloading software that has to be restarted every 15 seconds is not going to give good throughput.
If you're a tech savvy person, you could install Windows in a VM and run eMule on that. eMule is not resource-hungry, so even if your VM is not very powerful, it will still run fine.
All the problems people are mentioning here are because of LowID. Now finally we have a few VPN providers who support port forwarding, so things are getting good again.
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

Just some tips:
1. There is no problem getting fast download speed on new shares if you upload and share. You upload more you download more. Leave client open

2. Some old movies don't have any sharers/uploaders but you would have the same issue with old torrents. You need peers in order to get any download at all obviously. The problem of speed and sharing on OLD content is a problem across the entire internet no matter what protocol or service you use! The older the harder no easy fix.

3. If there is no speed ask for reshare in the film thread OR:
4. Use usenet (alt.binaries.movies.thelostmovies), or ulozto, or blizzardkid. Between all of those, just about all movies on here are available in some form.
Kondulista

You guys are still talking about the past. Emule was last updated in 2010. NObody should use it. Would you use IE now on windows ?

All the problems besides people not sharing, that you guys mentions could be fixed by dropping ed2k and using torrents. Low IDS, open ports etc.

Just imagine getting 20-50mb per sec. and not 200kb. That is the future, but it will never happen with ed2k.

It doesnt really take much. Not knowing the content amount its hard to be precise with a tech solution. But 2-3 torrent servers with the content could be enough and that is no unrealistic to do. Another option could be a streaming service. Onedrive + Emby. Maybe accept donations here in some form.

If someone is willing to share the content Im willing to host it and share it for the next year to see how it goes. I already have a few 50TB+ servers running all the time. Another VPS with 10-15TB of content is not a problem.
emuler

I have a 30Mbps connection. I have set my upload speed to 2500 kB/s so the other members of my family don't complain. I frequently max out that upload speed.

You seem to have a problem understanding what you read. v0.60c was released 3 and a half months ago.
https://github.com/irwir/eMule/releases ... -community
Kondulista

emule website

https://www.emule-project.net/home/perl ... m=download

Their download section links to

https://sourceforge.net/projects/emule/files/ which has the latest release for 2010-04-07.

But its nice to see its not abandoned on github with an comunnity edition.

30mbit is not a realistic goal for the future. I doubt e2dk support any decent speed. (500-750mbit or higher) as torrent does.
emuler

30 Mbps is what I currently have, and eMule is not limiting my speed; rather, my connection speed is limiting eMule speed. There are others here who have better connections than mine, and eMule doesn't seem to be limiting them either. I could try testing the speed on my WLAN, but I'm really lazy.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Maybe we are a bit old fashioned, but we've been using eMule since 2004 and it always worked. The files are available for a much longer time than with DDL's or torrents.

And it IS NOT slow. If a file has enough sources you easily can get download speeds about 5 MB/s or more.

Anyway, you're free to post other download methods in this forum. eMule is just the standard way and it always has been.
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   3 likes

I was also confused to hear from emule after I joining this board. It was a really long time ago that I'm using it and I never working much with that. I was more the Napster and Limewire Guy in the Past. My next problem was, that I'm a Mac user and I found only one eMule Client who I can't get to work, so I got the Idea to install it under Parallels Desktop with Windows.

But as Ghost say, emule is still alive (without support) and the good thing is, that you can still load stuff who are posted here in the past. That's the main reason, why eMule is still important for a Board like that.
I'm sure that you would be unhappy when you looking around here, found the movies who you will see and every time who you click on download, you got a broken link or broken file and need to ask for it and wait, until someone found time to reup / reshare it.

Torrent is a great way the share stuff very quickly, but torrents never existing for a long time. Filehosters will delete stuff after a short period or when the user is longer away or they gone away completely.
Delivering an internal Streaming-Service is to expensive and I'm sure, it's also too unsafe for the operators.

So it's your choice... Getting rare and great movies and working with eMule or just read the board to found the movies and search them over another way.
[Image]
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   2 likes

If it works, why fix it. The majority of “updates / support” these days are more ad / spyware. So “no support” is a good thing imo.

I would mention that anyone who is new to ed2k should be careful and only download verified files. Do not be tempted by other files that are on there. All file hash’s are logged and cross referenced.