[REL] Un amour de pluie (1974)

ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Un amour de pluie (1974)

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Thanks, popdrome! I am curious about your gaia upgrade :)

Atm I can't find you as a source... I'll wait.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   0 likes

Hey ghost did you manage to get it?

Don't go quietly into the night.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

popdrome wrote:Hey ghost did you manage to get it?

Yep. All worked fine. :dance

And your HD-version looks really good!
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

popdrome wrote:Hey mr Night and guys, I've created quite a decent upgrade of this using gaia (Topaz), and sharing this now at:

Un amour de pluie (1974).[HEVC.aliptes].mp4
Un amour de pluie (1974).[HEVC.aliptes].srt

2 things to note though; I'm still on low ID
and I only post HEVC rips which some ppl's STILL don't seem to understand;
it is better quality on smaller footprint. The lower filesize doesn't mean lower quality!

sharing now, tell me if you could get it. More on low-ID and me upgrading it soon, very soon
I don't like HEVC as it won't play on most dedicated hardware players. eg. WDHD media player. It also requires a PC from the last 5 years to play at 720 / 1080p without problems as it's about 3x as processor intensive as h264. A dual-core PC / laptop from 5 years ago will stutter badly. But yes, it can achieve 30% file size reduction and is a good idea for 4k (2160p video).
popdrome

David32441 wrote: I don't like HEVC as it won't play on most dedicated hardware players. eg. WDHD media player. It also requires a PC from the last 5 years to play at 720 / 1080p without problems as it's about 3x as processor intensive as h264. A dual-core PC / laptop from 5 years ago will stutter badly. But yes, it can achieve 30% file size reduction and is a good idea for 4k (2160p video).
Ah I see.. are you describing your situation? Do you have an 'old' PC?
Or are you describing the 30% file reduction when you get 4k?

You probably don't like progress (which reminds me of the .mp4 versus .avi discussion we had a few years ago).. I can inform you most of my HEVC rips have been encoded (and validated) on a 12 years old computer. I have been posting these the past 7 years and never had 1 complaint.

You're being silly. And if you want to run anything that doesn't support it, get Plex.
HEVC runs on my 1st generation chromecast, on my PS3, on anything I want really, and when in doubt, get Plex.

So my advice to you: get with it, or don't!

David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

popdrome wrote:
David32441 wrote: I don't like HEVC as it won't play on most dedicated hardware players. eg. WDHD media player. It also requires a PC from the last 5 years to play at 720 / 1080p without problems as it's about 3x as processor intensive as h264. A dual-core PC / laptop from 5 years ago will stutter badly. But yes, it can achieve 30% file size reduction and is a good idea for 4k (2160p video).
Ah I see.. are you describing your situation? Do you have an 'old' PC?
Or are you describing the 30% file reduction when you get 4k?

You probably don't like progress (which reminds me of the .mp4 versus .avi discussion we had a few years ago).. I can inform you most of my HEVC rips have been encoded (and validated) on a 12 years old computer. I have been posting these the past 7 years and never had 1 complaint.

You're being silly. And if you want to run anything that doesn't support it, get Plex.
HEVC runs on my 1st generation chromecast, on my PS3, on anything I want really, and when in doubt, get Plex.

So my advice to you: get with it, or don't!
Chromecast pucks sends video data right - it's not doing the actual decode, and I think supports only stereo.
Yes, all my devices connected to my TV (the TV itself, 4k 3d bluary player, WD HD media player support mp4, not HEVC). The WD HD player plays mp4 and sends 5.1 optical to the amp too!
I'm cool with progress - in fact I think I was the 2nd person here doing Topaz upscales! HEVC is pretty much essential for 4k - but that's a mute point as I've not seen anyone releasing anything in 4k here.
I'm fine with most 720 and 1080p's. My TV can play 4k but I can't see the difference from where I sit. AVI (Divx XVid) - yeah, they suck vs mp4.
HEVC is slowly taking over the torrent scene - but mp4 still dominates last I saw.
I've a friend who has a 10.2 or something surround audio setup - it's nice, but it's over-kill.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I can verify that I HAVE had problems with H265/HEVC playback on my (?) 8+ year old 1080p laptop. I don't know if this includes any of YOUR files, popdrome, but the problem is real, and not just for 4k encodes. However, I always watch my movies from a hard drive attached to my 4k blu-ray player, which has NO problem playing back H265/HEVC. I only need to be able to resync subtitles as needed on the computer, and I can usually manage that even with problematic playback.

Personally I hate "Progress" and am sympathetic to Luddites, although I have to admit I am hypocritically selective about what incurs my wrath and what does not. Computer-enhanced cellphones: BAD. Facebook: EVIL. Computer-enhanced video-processing: GOOD. Movie-sharing websites like FLM: TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!

I like popdrome's encodes. :)
popdrome

THANKS for the feedback guys. :bigups :thumbsup
Usually, tech is not the problem. PEOPLE are. :mrgreen:

Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

popdrome wrote:Usually, tech is not the problem. PEOPLE are. :mrgreen:
Oh yeah. When I say that I hate Progress I do not really mean the things that are actually improvements, but the things that are SOLD as improvements and are simply a means to extort more money and power for those who already have too much of it. I am sure there is some rational middle ground between those who only want to update home appliances every few decades (me) and those who want the latest expensive toy every year.

Incidentally, I finished getting the Uloz linked-file for your latest upgrade of this movie after a couple interrupted downloads, what with my computer battery swapping - - and it does not play on anything! Not VLC, not my 4k player. I am going to assume that the file got corrupted with the constant on and off, and download it again. I finished getting your version of "Nena" and it plays with no problems.
popdrome

Post by popdrome »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:When I say that I hate Progress I do not really mean the things that are actually improvements, but the things that are SOLD as improvements and are simply a means to extort more money and power for those who already have too much of it. I am sure there is some rational middle ground between those who only want to update home appliances every few decades (me) and those who want the latest expensive toy every year.
Totally agreed!!
Incidentally, I finished getting the Uloz linked-file for your latest upgrade of this movie after a couple interrupted downloads, what with my computer battery swapping - - and it does not play on anything! Not VLC, not my 4k player. I am going to assume that the file got corrupted with the constant on and off, and download it again. I finished getting your version of "Nena" and it plays with no problems.
What's with the battery swapping? Don't you have power sockets in your neck of the woods? :think
I'm sorry if it didn't play well. I can't think of a quick solution, although I could make a x.264 encode and post it on uloz but I imagine it will be large file size. Lemme know, my friend =8)