JDownloader free replacement?

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

JDownloader free replacement?

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I have been using JDownloader 2 for much of my direct-downloading because it is faster and usable on more sites than alternatives I know of like TVDownloader. Lately however, I have been getting corrupted downloads that add runtime to the video or do not play at all!

Does anyone have any FREE alternatives to JDownloader they can suggest?

Thanks.
DreamScape

Re: JDownloader free replacement?

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

I use JDownloader2 pretty heavily for downloading archives and haven't had issues. Have you made sure it is up to date? JD2 relies on a lot of site-specific plugins that need to be updated regularly.

I don't use it much for YouTube/Vimeo, I tend to use youtube-dl or yt-dlp for those.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

It currently says I have the latest version. Since it is set for automatic updating and I was offline for a week, I am not sure if it was up to date BEFORE the problem downloads, or if it updated after. However, it only seems to update after I close it. So that means there is the potential for repeatedly using it, getting a corrupt file that I may not realize has problems, and then closing it and it then updates so that particular problem will not happen again. For all I know, this could have happened hundreds of times with all the videos I have not yet watched! (If anyone says that I actually have to watch all my videos in their entirety before moving on to the next, then that means I have to leave FLM for over a year to catch up.) I would rather it come back with an error saying "GAAAAAH!! Can't do it. Must update first." I know, I am living in a fantasy world. I will try using it again before giving up on it entirely.

If that does not work, I was planning ahead for some other software. I make sure to have multiple downloaders because none work on all sites, so having one more is not a problem. Since FLM has people that download, I thought there would be some who used the free software and could recommend an alternative.

Thanks for your input! At least I know it works for some people. You said you use it alot for archives, and I think it is great for multi-part RAR files. Just copy-paste a whole list and let it go!
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

I found that: https://alternativeto.net/software/jdow ... opensource

I can't say nothing to the Apps, because I'm not running my life under Windows ;-)
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Thank you Nasuada, I will check those out. I have at least heard of DownThemAll, but have not tried it. XtremeDownloadManager I have used for quite awhile and still use for pure streams. The rest are new to me.

Windows completely controls my life. I like to believe it is a mostly benign dictatorship. ;)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Would it really be such a big thing to reinstall JDownloader2? It's just the best downloader I know with so many features.
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote:Would it really be such a big thing to reinstall JDownloader2? It's just the best downloader I know with so many features.
Heck, I figured you only used the Pro (paid) software, ghost!

No, it is NOT a problem to do a reinstall, it is considerably easier than finding and learning new software! But it is a bad idea to limit myself to only one option. I have tried, rejected and uninstalled many unsatisfactory downloaders and video processors over the years, and I continue to use the remaining ones as the needs demand. Even JDownloader2 (as good as it has been to me) does not do everything. TVDownloader will automatically extract subtitles from multiple streaming sites, like svtplay for all my Astrid Lindgren series. (I have sometimes been able to get JD to do that, but to do so I have to install a plugin on a site-by-site basis, and sometimes the plugin is named after an umbrella group of sites and not the specific one I am on. That is exactly the kind of boring tech research I find tedious.) Xtreme Download Manager will detect streams that are ignored by the other two. I did not know for certain that JD was done for, but I wanted an alternative on hand.

Thank you for the reassurance on the value of JD!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Is there a Pro(paid) version of JD2? :o I didn't know yet.

For downloading web/streaming videos I normally use Internet Download Manager, but it's not for free :(

I don't know many dl managers, becuase I only need those two. Ahh no, I also have TubeDIgger (does its job, if others should fail), but it's also not free.

So I'm not a big help atm, I'm sorry.
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote:Is there a Pro(paid) version of JD2? :o I didn't know yet.
I don't know. I ONLY get the free stuff so paid software is off my radar. I was just guessing at what you used, since I know that for your advanced video processing you would not be satisfied with the free ones.
... not for free ...

... also not free ...

... So I'm not a big help atm, I'm sorry.
This is one demand that narrows my list of options considerably, I realized that! But this just proves my guess was correct, that you are perfectly willing to pay for software.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

that you are perfectly willing to pay for software.
That*s not, what I said... ;)