JDownloader free replacement?

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Ziggy Plock

Re: JDownloader free replacement?

Post by Ziggy Plock »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: 48 sites you have chosen as your favorite useful ones? .
yes. that. its fully customizable
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Ziggy Plock

Post by Ziggy Plock »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Anyway, I found the official youtube-dl documentation on GitHub but I have not read through it:
https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/ ... /README.md
It seems the Evil American RIAA group strikes again!!!!

Check out these articles.

https://torrentfreak.com/riaa-targets-p ... ts-220402/

This site is supposed to do what 9xbuddy does, but has been made defunct, which makes me wonder how long 9xbuddy will be up and running.
http://320ytmp3.com/
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Thanks for the article. I know that youtube-dl has fought similar lawsuits for years. I had thought the RIAA had given up on this sort of thing. Napster!??!? That was so long ago. If they do not want people obtaining audio from YouTube videos, why do they allow the videos in the FIRST place?!?! It is pretty clear that many of the music-sharing music videos on YT are not on the official or officially-licensed sites and are certainly eligible for takedown notices. And one way or another, if audio or video can be played on a computer it can be ripped.

I have ripped YT audio myself and always found it to be fairly low MP3 quality, presumably to discourage people from doing so. If it makes the RIAA feel any better, I promise I will NEVER rip any Chicago or Wham! videos.

As soon as I found 9xbuddy and saw how well it worked, I assumed that sooner or later some lawsuit would take it down. I have seen similar sites disappear, so I try not to become too dependent on them. I just use them while they are available.

No matter how much I read about Cloudflare and "reverse proxies" I still do not understand what it does that is of any benefit to me. I know that Cloudflare has blocked me from accessing some sites, thanks a lot! Based in California, they are certainly subject to California courts. What I wonder is exactly what the RIAA expects to do against .to domains, as I don't think the island of Tonga is subject to California law. According to Wikipedia,
.to is one of the few ccTLDs that (officially) do not maintain a (public) WHOIS database providing registrant information. It is possible to contact domain registrants via tonic.to by typing the domain in the domain search field under "New Domain Name".[4] This has resulted in limited popularity for the use of .to for websites involved in copyright infringement.
The RIAA may have difficulty finding out who runs any .to sites.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Night457 wrote:No matter how much I read about Cloudflare and "reverse proxies" I still do not understand what it does that is of any benefit to me.
Just like a "proxy" (or VPN) may have benefits to you, "reverse proxy" has benefits to site owners. For example, caching (less traffic), ddos and spam prevention, load balancing, and of course hiding the actual IP address of the site. All big sites (eg., Facebook) use reverse proxies of their own. Cloudflare offers this as a service.

If they've blocked you from accessing some sites, then it's the site owner who have configured Cloudflare this way.

I don't really trust Cloudflare, but it helps effectively against spambots among other things.

You can access FLM via Cloudflare (.net) or directly (.com), but registering is only possible via .net to prevent spam.
Night457
Global Moderator

Obviously I am not a spambot! I guess some sites just don't want me to visit them. I figured it had something to do with my VPN. They could clue in users with a more helpful error like "Turn off your VPN" instead of "CloudFlare hates you, go away." Today Google search has been giving me 403 Errors and I have to use DuckDuckGo. This is one of the rare occasions when I am using a U.S. server in my VPN, when I am actually in the U.S. That sometimes causes problems. If I switch to Canada I should be fine!
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:Obviously I am not a spambot! I guess some sites just don't want me to visit them. I figured it had something to do with my VPN. They could clue in users with a more helpful error like "Turn off your VPN" instead of "CloudFlare hates you, go away." Today Google search has been giving me 403 Errors and I have to use DuckDuckGo.
Probably the same IP has been used by spambots, or the IP is just shared by so many people that it looks like spamming ;)
Night457
Global Moderator

That is sort of what I figured. Since online IP addresses change all the time, it is absurd to block any one IP or block of IPs just because spammers used it once. Other people will use it also, and the spammers also constantly move on to other IPs. I find it hard to believe Cloudflare does not realize this.

It is like someone with a VPN in another country uses a New York IP to send a threatening email to the President of the U.S., so he says "That's it! Nuke New York!" This does not protect anybody from anything.

As I expected, when I switched to a Canada server Google started to work. I guess no one in Canada uses Google. How do you even spam a search engine anyway? Does Google say, "Oh no, there are too many searches coming out of Miami today, it must be spam!"? and "Miami is not allowed to use Google Search anymore!"
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Night457 wrote:That is sort of what I figured. Since online IP addresses change all the time, it is absurd to block any one IP or block of IPs just because spammers used it once. Other people will use it also, and the spammers also constantly move on to other IPs. I find it hard to believe Cloudflare does not realize this.
I guess there is no other choice. I should have mentioned DDoS also. If FLM gets DDoS'd and becomes unusable for everyone, it would make sense to block IP addresses that make 1000 or more pageviews per second, even though maybe there are 1000 users behind a single address. Anyway, I am not a cybersecurity expert, but many folks at Google and Cloudflare probably are.
Night457
Global Moderator

It's just that I can easily imagine a tiny site like FLM being overwhelmed by DDoS attacks, but have a hard time imagining that happening to Google! Not enough server space, really?
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

Maybe their algorithms just cannot identify you so fast :icon_paranoid