[REL] Bilitis (1977)

deadman

Re: [REL] Bilitis (1977)

Post by deadman »   0 likes

jetje wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 am Is there a high definition, English language version of Bilitis?

I know an English language version exists as I have an SD copy of it.

Do you have a bluray copy of this film? I was surprised when I got the disc for Laura and found the original dialogue track was not in French like I assumed, but English. The mouth movements match the audio. The same thing is true for Bilitis - it was filmed in English. As opposed to Tendres Cousines and Premiers Desirs, two of Hamilton's other movies where the actors were speaking French. I downloaded the Bilitis BD, from Usenet I think, and my release is from Spain so I have to select the English audio track but it's there.
jetje

Post by jetje »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:13 pm
jetje wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:55 am Is there a high definition, English language version of Bilitis?

I know an English language version exists as I have an SD copy of it.

Do you have a bluray copy of this film? I was surprised when I got the disc for Laura and found the original dialogue track was not in French like I assumed, but English. The mouth movements match the audio. The same thing is true for Bilitis - it was filmed in English. As opposed to Tendres Cousines and Premiers Desirs, two of Hamilton's other movies where the actors were speaking French. I downloaded the Bilitis BD, from Usenet I think, and my release is from Spain so I have to select the English audio track but it's there.
Similar situation for me; I was always under the impression these were French language films, even after watching them! I only later found out Bilitis and Laura are actually in English and, at the time (several years ago) I tried searching for an English version of Laura along with an HD English version of Bilitis but to no avail, so it's fantastic to see they both exist in HD English now! I did not know that English was the proper audio for only Laura and Bilitis specifically however, so that's good to know.

I currently have two downloaded copies of Bilitis, one SD English, the other HD French. I actually tried putting the English audio track on top the HD version but I wasn't tech savvy to pull it off. So that said, I just was curious if any of the downloads of Bilitis in this thread are both HD and English, lest I blindly download another French version again.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

WTF???? Are you kidding me? IMDB says it is French, and IMDB never lies. Most of the actors are French! Patti D'Arbanville was born in New York, true ...

OK, I'm calm now. You were really watching them TALK in these movies? ;)

Multiple Blu-rays that have been released include multiple audio tracks, so it makes sense that there would be rips with different languages. Therarbg has several labeled as DUBBED which could be English, German, Spanish, Russian ... but apparently not the "original" language French.
For reference: https://therarbg.com/get-posts/keywords:bilitis/
Most of the DUBBED torrents do NOT have Seeders in my client. There is ONE that is 1.48Gb with 1-2 intermittent seeders. Verified later by me as ENGLISH, currently at 98%.
https://therarbg.com/post-detail/592f58 ... bg-orarbg/

The 11.93 Gb 1080p posted at FLM by Mexlink is FRENCH.
https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... 035#p90035

It is fairly easy to remux audio if the framerate of the two sources is the same. But if you have a 24fps BluRay and a 25fps DVD, it takes some stretching/compressing that can be tricky. I never succeeded at that.

GOOD news! There is a Russian torrent that has 3-4 seeders!
16.67Gb 1080p with audio in Russian/French/English, subtitles in Spanish/Portuguese/German:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5991271

It is apparently taken from this 2015 Spanish Blu-ray:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bilitis-Blu-ray/123934/
deadman

Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:51 pm WTF???? Are you kidding me? IMDB says it is French, and IMDB never lies. Most of the actors are French! Patti D'Arbanville was born in New York, true ...

OK, I'm calm now. You were really watching them TALK in these movies? ;)

I only paid attention after I first watched the bluray of Laura and everyone was speaking English, so I looked closely at their mouths to see if it was real or dubbed. That made me curious about Hamilton's other films.

Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:51 pmIt is fairly easy to remux audio if the framerate of the two sources is the same. But if you have a 24fps BluRay and a 25fps DVD, it takes some stretching/compressing that can be tricky. I never succeeded at that.

GOOD news! There is a Russian torrent that has 3-4 seeders!
16.67Gb 1080p with audio in Russian/French/English, subtitles in Spanish/Portuguese/German:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5991271

It is apparently taken from this 2015 Spanish Blu-ray:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Bilitis-Blu-ray/123934/

Yes, that rutracker file appears to be taken from the Spanish bluray - which is what I downloaded from Usenet. Except of course for the added Russian audio everything else is the same.

Oh I absolutely hate trying to convert audio between different framerates! Most of the time it either straight up fails (same audio out) or results in a noisy track that sounds like crap. Who knows? Maybe we're doing something wrong.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:06 pm I only paid attention after I first watched the bluray of Laura and everyone was speaking English
WHEW!! I was worried that you actually thought Hamilton dialog was important or something. ;)
I may pay some attention to their tasty MOUTHS, but not what they say. :mrgreen:
Oh I absolutely hate trying to convert audio between different framerates! ... Who knows? Maybe we're doing something wrong.
Not letting ghost do it for us is always a mistake. :D

(But he has to be interested in the movie, and I don't think he likes anything Hamilton.)

When possible, the preferred audio should be left the same and then muxed into a VIDEO that has had its framerate altered. If we do a dual-language version that is probably not possible. I know that ghost routinely converts audio AND video together to 25fps without problems for either the video or the audio. I am not sure if it is possible to do the same in converting to 24fps or 23.976fps. There may be something magical about 25fps.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

(But he has to be interested in the movie, and I don't think he likes anything Hamilton.)
No, I'm really not in this Hamilton stuff. These blurry teenagers...
The only movie I've kept was Laura.
So, were's the problem with the audio?

I read Russian/French/English.

I had no time to read all your long conversations. Just tell me, what audio track needs to be fixed. It is not a great deal, if it's only a framerate issue.
deadman

Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pmWHEW!! I was worried that you actually thought Hamilton dialog was important or something. ;)

For the most part they could be speaking an ancient dead language no one knows and you wouldn't be missing much. But the original track is always worth seeking out because it's the only one you can be sure the audio background hasn't been screwed with.

rutracker is a great source - but I always strip out the awful voiceover. They have some burly Russian mob enforcer who does the dub track, and has all the emotional range of a terminator. No matter who the character is, an old man, an 8 year old girl, they all sound like the same gruff Russian mobster.

ghost wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 pmNo, I'm really not in this Hamilton stuff. These blurry teenagers...
The only movie I've kept was Laura.

I had no time to read all your long conversations. Just tell me, what audio track needs to be fixed. It is not a great deal, if it's only a framerate issue.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm curious as to how one converts an audio track from one framerate to another without messing it up. What software do you use?
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

The RARBG torrent I linked completed at 100%, and I verified it as actually ENGLISH.

Lipsync rambling:
Spoiler:

I skipped through and watched the lipsync, when they focused on the faces. It certainly looks like English to me! However, the film is clearly post-sync dubbed in at least some of the scenes, very likely with voice actors different than the on set actors. This was most noticeable with certain male actors. Maybe they were less proficient at English. Foley effects and music were added to the mix. This was standard procedure for much of the 1960s-1980s Hong Kong & Italian cinema, where movies were shot without the expectation of actually using any audio from the set. The Hong Kong films would often be dubbed later in both Cantonese and Mandarin versions. Nobody had to be especially "Quiet on set!" or worry about airplanes flying over a scene in a period film and ruining the sound. The director could tinker with the dialog even after filming was over. Actors could move on to other projects and not have to spend hours in a sound recording studio perfecting the lines. I seem to remember Marcello Mastroianni (Italian) and martial artist / actor Sammo Hung (Hong Kong) had specific voice artists who faithfully continued to do their dubbing across many movies!

As for other reasons why they would dub English in European movies even IF the recorded English dialog was good: the snobbery of audiences. American audiences in particular cringed at dubbing that was out of sync with the lip movement, so Italians seeking international audiences would just have their actors speak English to avoid that problem. And they would use voice actors who did NOT have an especially heavy accent. I listened to the actresses/actors in Bilitis and did not notice French accents, hmmm. It is not just the Americans who did this. Isabelle Adjani speaks English, French, Italian, and German. The Werner Herzog film "Nosferatu" was shot back-to-back in German and English versions. They did the takes in German until it was good, then the takes in English until it was good. (Or vice-versa.) Isabelle was dubbed for BOTH the English and German versions, so no French accent for the audiences to deal with! :lol: Klaus Kinski could also speak English, and I believe he was dubbed for the English version too. I don't have any examples to give for French audiences, but I have read rumors that they are not fond of poorly-spoken French either. "Give us the dubbing with proper French and no accents, please."

Sooooo ... for this movie at least, it seems there is no "correct" sync-sound audio version, if my ears can be trusted.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

The 16.67Gb Rutracker torrent completed, and the English audio track sounds good. Unfortunately, the French audio track sounds BAD -- noisy and tinny. (I really can not evaluate the Russian voiceover, other than to say it is a single male voice for all characters. He at least sounds less gruff than his "mob enforcer" older uncle, as deadman describes a typical Russian voiceover.) This video is a poor choice if someone is looking for French audio, and a good choice for English.

The 1.48Gb RARBG DUBBED 1080p file I linked is also a good choice for English, and much smaller! There is another 1.48Gb RARBG FRENCH 1080p file with the same video and runtime, that is a good choice for French:
https://therarbg.com/post-detail/592f60 ... xt-orarbg/

I expect that the video is not as good as mexlink's eMule 11.93Gb French 1080p version, but it is good enough for my eyes and I do not feel like doing a pixel-peeping comparison.
lunastar2021

Post by lunastar2021 »   0 likes

starfish21 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:25 pm Great quality Brrip upgrade
Spoiler:

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]
[Image]