[REL] Lulu (1980)

Ziggy Plock

[REL] Lulu (1980)

Post by Ziggy Plock »   137 likes

I was surprised that this one isn't shared on FLM, not even requested. She's quite a prominent actress, from an important acting family and AFAIK, the only actress ever who, not only was OT in the same film as her real-life father, Heinz, but did a romantic scene with him as well. I don't think she was nude in that scene, but she was in the rest of the film. On top of that, she made 3 other OT-films.
But I haven't seen everything the Argento's made...

If this IS already shared, then, my bad. In that case, enjoy the different, "excellent small" version.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081086/reference/

Like this post to see ed2k links  [742.29 Mb]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [60.0 Kb]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [65.7 Kb]
——————————————————————————A tribute to Lost Movies===My avatar: youtu.be/SdqsgEOBOlc——————————————————————————
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Lulu (1980)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

The story of a sexually enticing young dancer who rises up in society through her relationships with wealthy men, but later falls into poverty and prostitution, culminating in an encounter with Jack 'the Ripper'.
https://sensitivecontent.info/movie.php?id=15127

Thank you Ziggy! I also thought this was already here for some reason. (Looking ... Hmmm. I don't see it.) Lead actress Anne Bennent was 16, so this belongs here!

Ziggy's file has the original French audio and optional English dub, with both English and German external subtitles.

This is one of those multinational cast & crew movies that is credited to France, Italy and Germany. The director is Polish. The actors are Swiss, German, French and Italian. The original language is French but that does not necessarily mean the characters are French. ("Doctor Zhivago" takes place in Russia but the non-Russian actors all speak English.) The playwright is German. The setting is indoors so I do not know what country it takes place in!

Unless someone can provide more information, I am content to leave this in Germany. This is just too confusing.
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

IMDb has the countries involved listed as France first, then Italy, then Germany. Original language is French. But I don't mind leaving it in the Germany section. It doesn't make all that much of a difference. afaik it's a French produced movie, based on German source material, but I'd wager also German money, plus main protagonist and at least one other is German. So.....

Zhivago is a different case because it's a wholly American produced movie, with no Russian actors. Omar Shariff is Egyptian. Only thing Russian about is the source material.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:13 am Zhivago is a different case because it's a wholly American produced movie, with no Russian actors. Omar Shariff is Egyptian. Only thing Russian about is the source material.
In the case of Zhivago, the source material is more important than any other consideration. Mother Russia as the setting is a hugely important character! Try setting the story in London or New York and it makes no sense. It is not a Russian movie as far as the money is concerned, certainly.

MGM was the main production company and Carlo Ponti Production the second. (Carlo Ponti was Italian.) The Countries of origin listed in order are Italy, United Kingdom, and the United States. The languages are English, Russian and French. Most of the actors are British. If any Russian actors had wanted to be in it, they would have done well to defect because the Communist Party of the Soviet Union hated Pasternak's book! In later years it became very highly regarded in Russia. In theory there COULD have been a later Russian adaptation of the material. Hollywood did its own "War and Peace" before Russia did its version, and that is the ultimate Russian story. (Audrey Hepburn is delightful, but the Russian version is so much better.)

I was just using Zhivago as a pretty wild example of a story with the setting and characters in one country, and everything or most everything about the movie from other countries. I still don't know where "Lulu" takes place, but I was suspecting Germany. I agree with you that it doesn't make much of a difference for that movie.
Triela

Post by Triela »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:53 am
why u think the russian version much better? ;) ;) you speak russian? ;) :P
and for a Russian version of an American-Russian art, i suggest the "film" Russkay Lolita (2007) (yes, that means 'Russian Lolita'...) Truly arthouse stuff, riveting... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P
Night457
Global Moderator

No, I only know a handful of Russian words. But I can read subtitles, just like I read the book in translation. (Admittedly, it took me about 300 pages to actually get into the story, and I will never forgive Tolstoy for his ponderously dull Second Epilogue. But that part is not in the movie.) The Hollywood War and Peace is not bad, but it is way too short even though it feels long. I watched it once and that was enough. Bondarchuk's monster I was not able to view in a single sitting, but I was always anxious to return to the next part. I was totally enthralled from the start, and I have seen it multiple times.

"Russian Lolita" is garbage! How dare you mention that in the same breath! :lol:
szijjarto

Post by szijjarto »   2 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Thank you szijjarto! I am getting this.

One really curious thing about this file: not only does it have a "fr" (French) soundtrack, it also has a second audio choice of "fro"! According to the ISO 639-2 standard, that would be Old French (842-ca.1400).

Who the heck speaks that these days?!?!?
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 pm Thank you szijjarto! I am getting this.

One really curious thing about this file: not only does it have a "fr" (French) soundtrack, it also has a second audio choice of "fro"! According to the ISO 639-2 standard, that would be Old French (842-ca.1400).

Who the heck speaks that these days?!?!?
Maybe someone did a typo in their mkvtoolnix/mkvmerge software or similar.

The German PAL DVD is 12€, I haven’t found full rips of it yet. I’d assume the „HD“ version on uloz is an Upscale of the dvd.

The German PAL DVD was released in 2013, the German VHS in 1980. Both are uncut. Fascinating that they put her nude on the covers of both of them. The VHS cover is even more sexual/explicit.

The French PAL DVD is from 2005. the Japanese (NTSC) DVD is from 2004.
Night457
Global Moderator

Both French audio tracks sound the same to me, whether they are New French or Old French. And it is only after your post that I noticed that the ulozto version is 20 minutes too short, according to IMDB!