Folder is 100% full (50 out of 50 messages stored)

Problems, requests or comments regarding forums or the main site go here.
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   0 likes

What do?
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Folder is 100% full (50 out of 50 messages stored)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Delete some of the messages! Maybe ALL of them!

If for some reason the folder being full locks up your messages so you CAN NOT delete them, then post again so an Admin can fix it. Some of them just have to go. Obviously you can't communicate by PM, so it has to be here.
Night457
Global Moderator

If you actually NEED to save them, it looks like there are options to
"Export this view" : "Export as CSV" or "Export as CSV (Excel)" or "Export as XML".

That gives me documents in a strange format, but the message is still there. Maybe a dedicated email program will put them in proper format? I am no email expert.

Also, under "Rules, folders & settings" there are options for what to do "If folder is full", including "Delete oldest messages".

Pictures of WHERE you click to manually delete messages, in case it is not obvious:

[Image][Image]
Rich_Visiting

Thanks Night! Btw I can't see option to delete sent messages :think

Oh "Delete marked" got it! Damn noobs asking on my avartar :lol: Thanks!
Night457
Global Moderator

Rich_Visiting wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:20 pm Damn noobs asking on my avartar :lol: Thanks!
That's ok, I have great patience with children ... and the elderly. :P
Rich_Visiting

Does that mean messages don't go through? :alien :alien :alien :alien :alien
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

In Private messages, at the "Rules, folders & settings" tab, for "If folder is full:" the three options are:
  • Delete oldest messages
  • Move to folder: Inbox
  • Do not accept new messages (New messages will be held back until enough space is available)
The last one is the default value. So yes, the messages do not go through if the folder is full.

My guess is that FLM does not have the server space of a multi-trillion-dollar international corporation like Google, so it can not afford to allow people to save all their private messages forever like Gmail permits you to do for email. Besides, Google reads your emails to know what products to target-market at you! That is how they pay for the server space. Maybe we should do the same at FLM? :mrgreen:
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

My guess is that FLM does not have the server space of a multi-trillion-dollar international corporation like Google, so it can not afford to allow people to save all their private messages forever like Gmail permits you to do for email. Besides, Google reads your emails to know what products to target-market at you! That is how they pay for the server space. Maybe we should do the same at FLM? :mrgreen:
Let‘s be real, saving a couple hundred or thousand simple text messages wouldn‘t take any significant server/storage space. I’ve been perplexed by the avatar requirement (150x150pixels, 45KB) but always have to remember it‘s an „ancient“ forum software in phpBB (doesn’t bother me too much and I’m often kinda oldschool with software as well).

Many piracy forums use XenForo (I assume they also use a pirated version of it since it’s paid software lol)

https://websitesetup.org/best-forum-software/

The 50 messages limit is kind of ridiculous I must admit. But I get that server costs need to be kept minimal.
kal

Post by kal »   0 likes

all of the setting are set by the global admin when the board is configured for the first time, if memory serves me right. after that it can be a pain to set up in the php scripts.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:18 pm Let‘s be real, saving a couple hundred or thousand simple text messages wouldn‘t take any significant server/storage space.
That's true. It's simply that we are not a personal mail archive and I don't see why anyone would want to store hundreds of private messages in the server. Personally I try to keep my private data in the "cloud" at the minimum. If you want to keep your messages, there is a download option (BTW, it is also possible to create few additional folders). There are other platforms for private communication. We are a public forum.
goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:18 pm I’ve been perplexed by the avatar requirement (150x150pixels, 45KB)
Too bad we can't see who's got the biggest avatar ;)
goku33 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:18 pm Many piracy forums use XenForo (I assume they also use a pirated version of it since it’s paid software lol)

https://websitesetup.org/best-forum-software/
Well, phpBB is right on the 3rd place on that list. The main reason we use phpBB is simply that we have gathered a lot of know-how through the years and the code is open source and simple enough to understand and we have developed several FLM extensions.

I do know Discourse. It is full Javascript application and I know that some users don't want to use Javascript for security reasons. Besides, Discourse has strange ideas about privacy. For example, admins are forced to see private messages of all users on the dashboard. One of the main developers (codinghorror) said that this is necessary, because otherwise users might exchange illegal stuff in private messages...