Romeo & Juliet 1968 lawsuit

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
SomeoneFromNorth

Romeo & Juliet 1968 lawsuit

Post by SomeoneFromNorth »   0 likes

Sully23

Re: Romeo & Juliet 1968 lawsuit

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

A lawsuit of more than 50 years despite at the time they still did not begin to prohibit these types of scenes after Blue Lagoon, it reminds me of the cover of the naked baby suing the rock band that I do not remember seemed more like an attempt to get $$$$
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:25 am it reminds me of the cover of the naked baby suing the rock band that I do not remember seemed more like an attempt to get $$$$
Nirvana? The "naked baby" made $$$ by selling those albums with his autogram, but later he thought that he could make more $$$ by suing the band. But he lost the lawsuit.
mexlink

Post by mexlink »   0 likes

Is this movie shared on here? I can only find the 2006 version.
karmykel2

Post by karmykel2 »   0 likes

Some of Olivia Hussey's prior statements about this, from Teenage Female Nudity and Sexuality in Commercial Media, Past to Present:

Olivia was interviewed by Bernard Braden on 20 October 1967 in a segment that was later included in the television programme "The 60's Revealed" on Channel Five in the UK. Bernard asked: "One of the papers reported that you have a nude scene together after the marriage. Did that bother you at all?" Olivia replied: "Oh God, I was dreading it from the audition I was dreading that scene. They did it gradually though and nobody was allowed to watch." We know the interview took place on some day fairly shortly after Olivia and Leonard had shot their nude scene because in her 14 February 2008 interview she says that was one of the last scenes shot for the film.

On 14 February 2008 Olivia was interviewed by Marc Huestis on the stage of Castro Theatre in San Francisco. At this event, Olivia said: "We shot it towards the end of [making] the film... It was done very tastefully... Of course Leonard was an exhibitionist. He just walked around [nude] everywhere. But I'm very shy. ... By the time we did the bedroom scene, I'd lost all my shyness in that [breast] area."
karmykel2

Here's another time she spoke about it:

"Olivia Hussey: The Girl on the Balcony"
interviewed by Barbara Bogaev
for Folger Shakespeare Library's podcast Shakespeare Unlimited
Episode 113 aired on January 22, 2019

From 15:38 to 18:08

"sometimes I’d say, “You know, I’ve got to have like flesh colored underwear to wear underneath this long gown. And that was my way of [ahem-ahem], I have to have...” ... Then once I got there Franco said, “You know darling, this is the one and only night they spend together. They’re young, this is their passion. What would it look like if she takes her robe off and she has her underwear on?” By the time he’d finished telling me about the love thing, I’d go “Oh.” And I’d just take everything off and I just got into the bed, because it made sense to me. ... Well, by that point in the filming, we knew the camera crew so well, and they were so professional, that when they weren’t needed to light something or to hold something, they would just stand, but they turned their backs, which was really nice. But the sound man had, like, some strange kind of crush on me. It was strange because he had white hair, and he was an older man. So when we did the bedroom scene, I said, “Franco, I am not comfortable with him being there.” So, they set up the microphone on the—they built up a thing over the bed for the close-ups and they set up a microphone and they said to him, “We don’t need you. It’s a closed set.” But he was trying to sneak on. They caught him sneaking on. And he was banished from the set for that day."
karmykel2

Quotes from her autobiography
The Girl on the Balcony: Olivia Hussey Finds Life After Romeo and Juliet
written by Olivia Hussey with Alexander Martin
(Kensington Books, 2019)

Page 76:
"Franco had saved the bedroom scene till the end. For months, he had been preparing me, working on my shyness. ... Still, I was just a young girl, and the thought of a love scene, of being naked in front of people, let alone in front of a camera, was terrifying. Until it wasn't."

Page 77:
"... Leonard. He loved it. Blessed with an extrovert's enjoyment of attention and a total lack of shyness, he cared not one bit about the world getting a good look at his bum. ... Leonard's breezy, careless attitude toward the whole thing helped me tremendously, and by the end I had forgotten about my shyness, the camera, and indeed my nightgown."
Harys

Post by Harys »   0 likes

Hello and thank you for sharing.
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

I don't understand with such cases one thing - if they had objections/troubles regarding to that movie why they didn't talk about it right away (or in first possible moment)?
SomeoneFromNorth

Post by SomeoneFromNorth »   0 likes