Dafne Keen, acrobat, 2020

Post here about any child actresses (or actors) you like!
Nasuada

Re: Dafne Keen, acrobat, 2020

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:00 pm "Helena Zengel made her way to Hollywood thanks to her scene when she peed in the hallway of her school"
That was not a school. It was a children's home.
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

I watched all the "El hormiguero" clips at the Antena3 link I posted. The science-related segments with the tattooed guy (Marron) are interesting, but the real highlight other than Dafne's acrobatic routine is the full interview with her:
https://www.antena3.com/programas/el-ho ... b92ce.html

(The shorter interview clips are just excerpts from the full 14 minute version.)

I happily watch a charming pretty girl talking even when I fail to understand her. I think that has always been the case. Sometimes my lack of comprehension is due to more than language issues, after all.

Has anyone else watched the interview? Maybe someone who understands Castilian, unlike me?

At time segment 2:43-3:33 Dafne seems to be talking about her Spanish mother and speaking Spanish rather than English. Since this has been discussed here, would anyone interested in Dafne and who knows the language care to summarize that portion?
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:58 pm Has anyone else watched the interview? Maybe someone who understands Castilian, unlike me?

At time segment 2:43-3:33 Dafne seems to be talking about her Spanish mother and speaking Spanish rather than English. Since this has been discussed here, would anyone interested in Dafne and who knows the language care to summarize that portion?
She says it started, her parents wanted her to be known abroad but not in her country because she had a normal life, about her mother, if she speaks English she ignores her, she only speaks Spanish and also things about the casting in Logan and His dark stuff.

I was wrong, her Spanish is European and not Latin American and I see she is more Spanish than flamenco.
Night457
Global Moderator

Aha! Thank you! I figured that since the interview is over 2 years old that the information would be well reported by now, but there are still some interesting tidbits.

While I agree with her parents that it is good to have a place to live safe from her work, particularly for a youngster, I seriously doubt that they succeeded in keeping her unknown in Spain! (I guess being on a talk show proves that.) I get the impression that Marvel superhero movies manage to travel outside of the U.S., so what did they expect? But Mom is right, she's got to keep speaking both languages to have the benefits of being bilingual.

I don't really know much about Dafne's mother because she is mostly known for her theater work. Because of "His Dark Materials" I have this mental image of her character Lyra's tough mother in that! I wonder if Dafne would say that Mrs. Coulter is soft and weak compared to her own mama!?
Sully23 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:58 pmI see she is more Spanish than flamenco.
:lol: I know the music and dance. Is "flamenco" also a slang term for Spanish culture transplanted to the Americas?
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:04 pm :lol: I know the music and dance. Is "flamenco" also a slang term for Spanish culture transplanted to the Americas?
It is a very literal saying like saying "It is more American than the hamburger" (since the hamburger is not from that country, suppose it is a hot dog) or "more Japanese than the Toyota" since Dafnes is more Spanish than the feast of San Fermin (The bulls to the street).

She only affirmed that many commented to her that she only looked like Logan's daughter, it is something like Hannah Montana, we only assume that she did not wear a wig, she only changed her name and way of speaking and it should be remembered that in America they are very besieged, very different in Europe they have their life normal without annoying papparazzi.
Night457
Global Moderator

Sully23 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:56 pm It is a very literal saying
OHHHHHH! I had it half-backwards, thinking you were comparing her to people in Spanish-based cultures outside of Spain. (But still affirming that she was clearly more continental Spanish than Latin American Spanish.) I understand now.
she only changed her name and way of speaking
Incidentally, to my admittedly uneducated ear it sounds like the Spanish accent she used when speaking her limited English dialog in "Logan" is Mexican (as it should be in the story) rather than continental Spanish. When she speaks English in real life her natural accent is, I assume, British-English because of her father. And surely she can do a standard "American" English accent too, because accents are part of an actress's toolkit.

I was watching the YouTube video of her acrobatic routine again. (Shocking, I know.) At time code 1:15-1:23 I saw these two stagehands / security guards behind her at the back of the stage, at the lower left of frame:
vlcsnap-2023-03-06-17h52m10s997.jpg
vlcsnap-2023-03-06-17h52m28s673.jpg
There is one big guy built like a bear and one smaller guy. Look carefully and see they are carrying a net! So they were ready to rush forward and catch her with it if she lost her grip on the fabric? Even when she was hanging upside-down from her ankles?! DAMN. They had some serious confidence in their own physical abilities.

It would really be bad to go on a daily talk show and then crack your head open on the stage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   2 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:16 am
Sully23 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:56 pm It is a very literal saying
OHHHHHH! I had it half-backwards, thinking you were comparing her to people in Spanish-based cultures outside of Spain. (But still affirming that she was clearly more continental Spanish than Latin American Spanish.) I understand now.
I'm going to clear this up
If we refer to people In Spain they are Spanish or Iberian, Hispanics or Hispanic Americans are inhabitants of the U.S. direct descendants of very different Spanish colonists from some southern states made part of Mexico and finally Latinos can refer to the rest of the countries of the continent with the exception of some British and French territories. In a few words, there is no Latin American Spanish but Latino.

And as for the language, if I tell you, Dafne's Spanish is continental and not continental American Spanish (simply Latino).
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

So, in short, Dafnes accent in Spanish is from Spain, not from Latin-America?
Sully23 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:34 am direct descendants of very different Spanish colonists from some southern states
What do you mean, "very different"? All Spanish colonists came from .... Spain, no?
with the exception of some British and French
incomplete
Sully23 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:56 pm they have their life normal without annoying papparazzi.
Princess Di, anyone?
Triela

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:58 pm
Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:58 pm Has anyone else watched the interview? Maybe someone who understands Castilian, unlike me?

She says it started, her parents wanted her to be known abroad but not in her country because she had a normal life, about her mother, if she speaks English she ignores her, she only speaks Spanish and also things about the casting in Logan and His dark stuff.
It sounded to me she said that if she wanted to eat something, she speaks Spanish to her mother. Also, the guy asks her what they speak amongst each other at home (entre ellos), and she says, it's a mixture of Spanish and English, so one could say it's "Spanglish". He doesn't give up and asks, very clever, what language she dreams in? She says that it depends, but on what it depends I didn't understand, my Spanish isn't that good.

But you're the Spanish speaker, so I defer to you.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:08 pm It sounded to me she said that if she wanted to eat something, she speaks Spanish to her mother. Also, the guy asks her what they speak amongst each other at home (entre ellos), and she says, it's a mixture of Spanish and English, so one could say it's "Spanglish". He doesn't give up and asks, very clever, what language she dreams in? She says that it depends, but on what it depends I didn't understand, my Spanish isn't that good.

But you're the Spanish speaker, so I defer to you.
I implied "it depends" sometimes in Spanish or English and I don't understand much as most of me are monolingual and I don't know what bilingual or trilingual people are like.