Help needed narrowing down eMule problem

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Walter

Help needed narrowing down eMule problem

Post by Walter »   0 likes

As some of you know, I have tried and failed to get eMule working. I carefully followed the instructions in the how-to thread, and I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the ports not being open, though possibly the firewall on my internet provider is also a problem? Let me explain. I have two WiFi adapters, one built-into my computer and one I bought when the built-in one mysteriously stopped working (it has since come back). Here's a screenshot of them:

[Image]

Anyway, the one I'm currently using (the RealTek one) I have set to use eMule (again, as far as I can tell). Now, when I put in the number for my Default Gateway, it takes me to the AT&T website (see pics below). My family has U-Verse so that is my internet provider. What I am wondering is if maybe the setting at my AT&T page are the problem? I thought I set it up to open my ports but it's still not working so I clearly have missed something. Also they have a firewall as well which again, I think I have set to let eMule work but it isn't (I set my own computer's firewall also). Maybe these screenshots will show somebody here the problem?

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Apologies for the large number of screenshots, but I didn't want to miss anything. I have also considered the possibility that my eMule settings are at fault, so here are some screenshots of that:

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Hopefully one of you will be able to look at this and figure out what I've done wrong. Thanks in advance for anyone who tries! :wall
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Help needed narrowing down eMule problem

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Ugh, router settings are torture. I looked through those screens but did not see anything helpful. I did not see anything about port-forwarding, either, but not all ISPs offer that anyway. I hope one of the tech experts takes a look at this.

Help, anyone, please?

I CAN offer some comments and questions on your eMule screens:

eMule 1 (Servers tab): I see you have a good list of Servers, and that you are not connected to either ed2k or Kad. What happens when you click "Connect" in either the upper left or the upper right? Anything?

Kad Tab (not pictured): after you have tried the "Connect" and see if it does anything (it may take a few minutes), try the "Kad" tab next to the "Servers" tab and click "Recheck firewall" and see if anything happens.

eMule 3 (Options / Connection):

(1) Your download and upload limits seem rather low, but I do not know your line speeds and they can be adjusted later if need be.

(2) Under "Client Port", did you use "Use UPnP to Setup Ports"? This is a one-time thing and should not be checked all the time, and it does not work for many people anyway. The other option: the ports you have listed there, did you open those ports in your router and firewall? In other words, why are those ports selected? Did you read the long portion starting at the link below?

viewtopic.php?t=7279#:~:text=THE%20NEXT ... LL%20PORTS

(3) It is good to have "Reconnect on loss" checked as you do, but you should also have "Autoconnect on startup" checked. That way eMule will attempt to connect when you start it, rather than sitting there like a lump. It would be nice if this is the magic fix, but I don't know.

That is all I have for now.
Walter

Post by Walter »   1 likes

SUCCESS!!! :icon_1dancingban :icon_1dancingban :icon_1dancingban That last bit of advice about clicking that "Autoconnect on startup" button DID THE TRICK!!! I don't belive it, I was so close all this time and didn't know it...

Now, I do have low ID BUT it works and I was able to download "Pusling". Now that I can successfully download movies, I have a few questions about sharing! I definitely want to SHARE anything I download and give back to the community. First, when I downloaded "Pusling", I forgot to click the "Share" button, but I have a copy in my "Shared" eMule folder - will people be able to access it? Also, can I put other files that I have downloaded from ulotzo.net into that folder and make them accessible to the community?

I have not yet re-tested MEGA which I would like to get running too. I'll let you know if it works now too (?) :pray

Anyway, THANKS A MILLION, Night457!!! :D :D :D
Night457
Global Moderator

Well, I'll be a ... monkey's uncle!

Clicking on Connect in the Servers tab should also work, but you would have to do that every time you open your eMule client. Autoconnect makes it start automatically. Both only work if you otherwise have everything set up correctly ... and you DID! Congratulations!
Walter wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 11:44 am Now, I do have low ID BUT it works and I was able to download "Pusling".
I thought I saw you last night, what with your User Name. Lots of people here have LowID, so don't stress about it. You might be able to do something to improve it to HighID later, but for now rejoice that you got eMule working!
First, when I downloaded "Pusling", I forgot to click the "Share" button
I have never done that and I am not even sure what you mean. The "Shared" tab on the top? That just goes to a list of what files you have shared.
but I have a copy in my "Shared" eMule folder - will people be able to access it?
Yes, that is all that is needed. And having eMule running with your computer connected to the Internet, of course. The files are no longer accessible to others when you close eMule or disconnect from your Wi-Fi.

If you want to you can create multiple shared folders with different names, although you have to then manually select them individually in Options/Directories. That is only helpful if you have many shared files and have to occasionally delete some for drive space. That is me! I keep hundreds of files shared (right now 547), but I do NOT have a 15Tb RAID so I have to keep deleting to make space for what I currently want to share. So I have a different folder for every day of the month, and the oldest stuff is most eligible for deletion -- yet there are some special files kept in an "Always Shared Forever" folder. I can move files from folder to folder, and they stay shared as long as all those folders are shared. That is surely more complicated than you want to do right now. And OF COURSE, do not share any folders that contain PRIVATE information. ONLY share the movies and music and such that you want to share, not any documents and bank records etc you need to keep secure!
Also, can I put other files that I have downloaded from ulotzo.net into that folder and make them accessible to the community?
Yes, it is exactly that simple! Put it in the shared folder, go to the Shared tab and click "Reload", and then wait a bit (sometimes a minute or two depending on your computer). When it shows up in "All Shared Files", right click on the file and select "eD2K Links..." You can then Copy the link and Paste it in an appropriate post at FLM. Or you can just leave it in the folder anonymously and let random eMule members find it in a Search. ALL the time we have people here finding files on eMule, and then SOMEBODY says "Oh yeah, I forgot to share that here. Sorry." ;)
I have not yet re-tested MEGA which I would like to get running too.
MEGA works, we just seem to be blocked from downloading files 5Gb or larger, unless we pay the extortion fee.
Walter

Post by Walter »   0 likes

Oh, yeah... I forgot what exactly my issue with MEGA was and got it conflated with my eMule problem, LOL. :icon_old Anyway, regarding "Pusling", I was talking about the "Share" box found in the "Requested Files" section of this site - not in emule.

I've put some of my downloads into the "Shared" file for eMule but I'm not sure I have it set up right for people to access... hence some more screenshots. :icon_1idiot The first set is my emule folder sitting in my Downloads section on my computer, and the second set is my eMule setup itself. I'd appreciate it if you looked this over and told me what exactly I need to do to be sure people can access my "Shared" file (and nothing else):

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

Also, is there a way to exit eMule and use my computer for other things while leaving eMule up and running? I'd like to be able to browse the web or write stories on my word processor while still having eMule going for downloading movies I want and letting other access my shared files. Here's my eMule homepage:

[Image]

Thanks again for all the help! :D :D :D
bonmrmjp

Post by bonmrmjp »   1 likes

To get a high ID, follow these directions that are specific to your router: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbb5T9VWFZ8

Yep, you can use your computer for other things. Just press the "minimize" button to get it out of the way. (the - at the top right corner).
Night457
Global Moderator

I think you are overcomplicating things for yourself, but here goes:
Walter wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:18 pmAnyway, regarding "Pusling", I was talking about the "Share" box found in the "Requested Files" section of this site - not in emule.
Nothing you click on this site will have any affect on how files are shared in your eMule client. The only thing you can do here is click an ed2k link so that it opens in eMule. From there on is outside the control of FLM!

The "Requested files" section is a list of files that people have requested for a reshare. Sometimes it is because no one is currently sharing them, sometimes it is because only LowID people are sharing them and another LowID person can not connect to them ... and sometimes it is because someone clicked it because they can not figure out how to direct-download a movie from an ed2k link. They do not understand eMule yet. That does not surprise you, right?

If someone clicks the box next to a file on the "Requested files" page and then clicks Share/Go at the bottom of the page (it may appear differently to me because of my Moderator permissions), it puts a check mark next to that file. In theory that means someone is sharing it. Someone could lie about it if they are a dedicated troll. It does not actually share the file, it is just communicates information.
I'd appreciate it if you looked this over and told me what exactly I need to do to be sure people can access my "Shared" file (and nothing else)
The Temp folder is for partial eMule downloads in process, and the file is automatically transferred to Incoming when it completes. Both of those folders are shared automatically when eMule is running. The "Shared" folder was most likely set to be shared when you set up eMule in the first place, but let us check it out ...

Your fourth picture (the Shared Files tab) shows the "Incoming files" folder highlighted in gray. It is showing what was then currently in that folder: nothing. Click on "All Shared Files" above that to see every complete file you are currently sharing. The files you have in your "Shared" folder should then appear. If you see them listed, then they are shared.

Alternately -- You can use your eMule client to follow through a navigation view of your Windows folders. In the second picture I see that your eMule folders (Incoming / Shared / Temp) are on your C: drive. In eMule in the Shared Files tab, under All Directories (on the left side of the screen) click on the + sign next to "Windows (C:)" to expand that folder. Keep expanding the folders Downloads / Emule / Shared. Then set your cursor and click on the Shared folder. This will only show the files shared in that folder, and not include any other folders with shared files.

* Here I am displaying just the files I have shared in my "04-29" folder:
emule 1.jpg
You can go through your computer in that list of drives and folders and look at what you have. Files that are NOT shared will show up with an empty box next to them.

* Like this, on the top level of my "OS (C:)" drive:
emule 2.jpg
I am not going to share my autoexec.bat and config.sys files, that would be stupid! Someone could share the entire contents of every folder on their computer, but again ... that would be stupid. DO NOT do it!

Anyway, if you see NO files on "All Shared Files" or on your "Shared" folder when you have expanded it into view, then check out your FIFTH picture. In Options / Directories, expand C: by clicking the + sign, then continue expanding Downloads / Emule until the Shared folder is visible. Make sure there is a check mark next to it. ONLY put check marks next to folders that you want to share! Then click "Apply" to make it so.

* Check out this limited view of mine:
emule 3.jpg
I am not sharing my Documents (Text) folder. That is private!
Also, is there a way to exit eMule and use my computer for other things while leaving eMule up and running? I'd like to be able to browse the web or write stories on my word processor while still having eMule going for downloading movies I want and letting other access my shared files.
If you EXIT eMule, it will not be running and sharing anything. You can still use your computer while eMule is running. It will not interfere with word processing at all, because that does not take up bandwidth. If you find that eMule is hogging your bandwidth so that it is difficult to browse or do direct-downloads at the same time, you can go to Options / Connection and set Download and/or Upload limits. I had previously commented that you seemed to have them set rather low. Experiment and see what settings work best for you. Some people have phenomenal bandwidth and do not need to set limits at all. My own bandwidth is strong enough that it overpowers my weakling computer with its vintage eMule client, so I have to set Download limits or it will crash my eMule! I have no Upload limit, because uploading potential is always lower than downloading potential anyway, at least in my experience. I shut down eMule entirely when I want to dedicate all my bandwidth to uploading files to sharing sites like ulozto or MEGA. I want to finish my upload as soon as possible with no competition for computer resources. I think that is more a problem with my antique computer than my potential bandwidth.
Here's my eMule homepage:
I don't think I would call that a homepage, just your Servers tab.

Anyway, you took that screenshot while the eD2K Network was "Connecting" and Kad Network was "Firewalled". Now that eMule is running, does the eD2K Network show "Status: Connected"? And ID: shows "LowID"? If so, good.

Does the Kad Network show "Status: Open" and "UDP Status: Open"? If not, is it still "Firewalled"? If so ... I have to admit I have never in my life that I can remember had to mess with Windows Firewall, so I would not know where to start. The best I could suggest is going to the eMule Kad tab and clicking "Recheck Firewall" and letting it process a minute or two. That is all I have ever done. Beyond that, you have to do more research at FLM or online eMule help pages, or ask another specific question for someone else here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

bonmrmjp, THANK YOU for finding technical directions specific to Walter's equipment!!!! That is SURE to be a great help!!! Routers fry my brain.
Walter

Post by Walter »   1 likes

O.K. I followed Night457's instructions and it looks like I am now ready to share! :D Now that I have that going, I'm going to watch that You-Tube video bonmrmjp suggested and see if I can't get High ID... I'll let you know how it goes.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Wow what a great bit of information being shared here. Good job on getting emule running, Walter. I hope to see you sharing and downloading lots here! And I hope you can attain HighID. I understand lowID works well enough for some, but it will help if you wish to share back and potentially make releases of your own.

Night clarified I think pretty well, but I wanted to make sure you understood, anything that you have downloaded through emule, or are currently downloading through emule, are automatically shared, even just by leaving them in the directory in which they downloaded. You don't have to move them to a shared folder or do anything on FLM to keep sharing them back (just like when seeding a torrent). These will stay shared until you remove them from your emule directory.

You CAN however go into your transfers tab and manually share other directories in your hard drives.

So I see you joined back in 2019. Have you just now gotten emule to work?