The good old days

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Sully23

Re: The good old days

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

Davros6 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:21 am but, you identified as a boy or girl depending on what you were born with downstairs.
Luckily it never would have occurred to me to go to school, let alone asking for equality with the girls.
[Image]
Davros6 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:21 am We didn't have phones with cameras.
Now it reminded me since these devices were invented now many tried to find out the color or type of panties that some wore but in my time when that did not exist, there was another way.

Sensitive content for some people.
Spoiler:

Some wore mirrors in their shoes.
Davros6

Post by Davros6 »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:26 pm Oh? Just cos it wasn't talked about, it doesn't mean transgenders weren't unhappy.
Didn't you have both tomboys and girly-boys

Strangely enough one of the tomboys at our school is now married with kids and very much a girly girl, for some, back then, it was just a phase they went through and didn't demand any special treatment, they had no problem being called she/her and didn't demand non gender specific pronouns to be used for them.
I drink therefore I am
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Sully23 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:57 pm There are many to redirect and move.
Yeah, but that would mean moving about 50% of my own posts. :o

Problem is, much of the time on "off topic" conversation still includes much that is still related to the movie thread that inspired the discussion in the first place. It is just not worth the effort much of the time to say "this post stays, that one gets moved". Here, it very clearly no longer had anything to do with the movie, so it was easy to decide.

And there are times when I move a bunch of posts to a newly-created thread and then the conversation comes to a screeching halt. Whatever!
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   1 likes

This is kind of off topic but going on the topic title... I can't get over how much better everything is nowadays. The 90s and 00s sucked, compared. My FLM folder is 2.81 TB :P Would be very hard to do even in 2010. Also computers and everything is a lot better overall.

And back then, there was no information about anything. Now there is information on everything and there are so many things to get into, compared to 90s/00s. As for FLM media, yes it was better back then but it's kind of offshot with the crazy storage and availability of today.

So I dunno, I'd much rather be my older self / current age today, then my young self in the 90s/00s, even with all the personal crap I had recently.
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:34 am So I dunno, I'd much rather be my older self / current age today, then my young self in the 90s/00s, even with all the personal crap I had recently.
This is a good outlook to have. It's better to look at the opportunities you have in life than reflect on some lost feeling you are desperately trying to relive. We all get nostalgic and opine about how things used to be, but it's important to not get stuck in that frame of mind, and if you are feeling bored or down about a thing you used to love, mix it up and try something new. We live in a time of unprecedented outlets to entertain ourselves and create our own happiness, and if you are able to it's important you seize that for the time you have on this earth.

It's kind of like the AI talk, you can either take advantage of it and use it as a tool to enhance your creativity, or you can freak out and worry about how it's going to cause the end of the world, but I think the people that freak out aren't much different than those that thought heavy metal and D&D were tools of Satan. Sorry to anyone that's an AI worrier, if there are somehow any of them here.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

reptile12 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:34 am This is kind of off topic but going on the topic title...
I had to come up with SOMETHING to title it, so I quoted a portion of a post. Maybe without quoting I could have chosen "Rants by cranky old people", maybe?
Now there is information on everything and there are so many things to get into, compared to 90s/00s.
I have information overload, without time or mental energy to watch even a fraction of what I download. So I give up the effort and rewatch TV shows I have seen over and over already.
So I dunno, I'd much rather be my older self / current age today, then my young self in the 90s/00s
I would like to time travel my surely much wiser self in the future and take over my young self from even further back in what is currently past, but I would probably only end up encouraging really bad behavior. "Oh you kid, if only you KNEW now what you will learn later in life. Everything you think is important now is actually utterly meaningless."
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

marvingray wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:50 am
reptile12 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:34 am So I dunno, I'd much rather be my older self / current age today, then my young self in the 90s/00s, even with all the personal crap I had recently.
This is a good outlook to have. It's better to look at the opportunities you have in life than reflect on some lost feeling you are desperately trying to relive. We all get nostalgic and opine about how things used to be, but it's important to not get stuck in that frame of mind, and if you are feeling bored or down about a thing you used to love, mix it up and try something new. We live in a time of unprecedented outlets to entertain ourselves and create our own happiness, and if you are able to it's important you seize that for the time you have on this earth.

It's kind of like the AI talk, you can either take advantage of it and use it as a tool to enhance your creativity, or you can freak out and worry about how it's going to cause the end of the world, but I think the people that freak out aren't much different than those that thought heavy metal and D&D were tools of Satan. Sorry to anyone that's an AI worrier, if there are somehow any of them here.
yeah exactly. But AI... Can of worms. I still don't know what to make of it. I don't use it still. I should get into it I guess but I like to do things manually to learn how it works. The Adobe AI stuff in photoshop and the upscaling stuff is the most interesting for me personally but I'm still waiting for the upscalers to be like super detailed and realistic if they ever reach that point.
Night457 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:13 am
reptile12 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:34 am This is kind of off topic but going on the topic title...
I had to come up with SOMETHING to title it, so I quoted a portion of a post. Maybe without quoting I could have chosen "Rants by cranky old people", maybe?
Now there is information on everything and there are so many things to get into, compared to 90s/00s.
I have information overload, without time or mental energy to watch even a fraction of what I download. So I give up the effort and rewatch TV shows I have seen over and over already.
So I dunno, I'd much rather be my older self / current age today, then my young self in the 90s/00s
I would like to time travel my surely much wiser self in the future and take over my young self from even further back in what is currently past, but I would probably only end up encouraging really bad behavior. "Oh you kid, if only you KNEW now what you will learn later in life. Everything you think is important now is actually utterly meaningless."
I do the same thing where I watch mostly old stuff or stuff I know on repeat. I have only seen like less than a handful of tv shows in the past few years, and my taste is incredibly specific, but now I can have all the shows on disk and I can discover ALL the old shows via databases which was harder back then.

The information overload thing is interesting though because while I do feel similar, I also don't feel it at the same time, because I'm not interested in just random information, I just want the correct information in as densely packaged format as possible, related to what I'm interested in then and there. Back in the 90s/00s, there was much lower chance the information was out there or if it was that was findable in an easy way, now it seems to be. I basically have a mental list of everything relevant and then I ask myself if I can learn it and most of the time it's possible, though not always. Back in the 00s the list was a lot longer and I kept trying to but couldn't achieve it. Or something.

So IDK, there is a part of me that feels like everything is totally crazy and off the walls, there's this underlying chaos everywhere that I dunno how to make sense of but I try to (perhaps at my own peril) limit myself to being exposed to all that, idk what im even saying but yeah, craziness
marvingray

I get the info overload, for sure. I feel like it is hitting older millennials(me) and gen x'ers the hardest. The zoomer aged kids have grown up with it, and the boomer-aged people are set in their ways and less worried about change. This is our big change in our adult-aged days having choice paralysis.

I remember in my early 20s I used to watch season 1-3 of Arrested Development on repeat, and some nights I'd turn on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and just let it run all night and I wasn't particularly concerned with what to watch. Or when Netflix still offered physical rentals, I went through every weird Asian film I could find without distraction.

Now it goes through my head a lot, all of the options I have that are growing day by day. I try to not let it get to me, but I admit it can be tough, especially when I realize I have wasted a bunch of time on indecision on something as simple as what to watch or play. I could read entire book series over a few days/weeks in my younger days, now I look at a series and suddenly 10 others are recommended to me at the same time...and do I want physical or eBook copy? It's an anxiety-inducing feeling, even if it is theoretically a good thing(more choice vs less choice, most people would choose more) but I do wish I could be a little more focused these days than I am.
reptile12

Post by reptile12 »   0 likes

marvingray wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:51 am I get the info overload, for sure. I feel like it is hitting older millennials(me) and gen x'ers the hardest. The zoomer aged kids have grown up with it, and the boomer-aged people are set in their ways and less worried about change. This is our big change in our adult-aged days having choice paralysis.

I remember in my early 20s I used to watch season 1-3 of Arrested Development on repeat, and some nights I'd turn on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and just let it run all night and I wasn't particularly concerned with what to watch. Or when Netflix still offered physical rentals, I went through every weird Asian film I could find without distraction.

Now it goes through my head a lot, all of the options I have that are growing day by day. I try to not let it get to me, but I admit it can be tough, especially when I realize I have wasted a bunch of time on indecision on something as simple as what to watch or play. I could read entire book series over a few days/weeks in my younger days, now I look at a series and suddenly 10 others are recommended to me at the same time...and do I want physical or eBook copy? It's an anxiety-inducing feeling, even if it is theoretically a good thing(more choice vs less choice, most people would choose more) but I do wish I could be a little more focused these days than I am.
I get this 100%, but it makes me think. I'm millenial and I used to check a lot more shows and movies, but now the only way I know how to do it is check incredibly specific themed shows/movies and only watch those. So I end up only checking out maybe 1-5 shows per year, and only 1 of those I might watch all through (since 2019 I have only 2 new favorite shows, even with all the new ones coming out). For movies it's a little easier because I basically check all the mainstream horror/sci-fi/adventure and they are a couple hours so it's easy. Any other show or tv not mainstream american needs to have ideas or concepts that I find relevant to my interests or I won't check them, but maybe this is a result of information overload. And it does narrow my point of view but like going on netflix or youtube even, 95% of the stuff on there I can't and won't click on or even register heh, not sure how to analyze that.
marvingray

reptile12 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:07 am I get this 100%, but it makes me think.
Honestly, it's a good thing to narrow interests as long as you're enjoying what you're watching and only widen if you feel stagnation or boredom. It's literally impossible to even come close to watching everything out there, after all.

I hear a lot of younger people only watch "recap" channels where they explain shows or movies from start to finish so they don't have to watch them, that's the kind of stuff that blows that mind...like how short can our attention spans eventually get?

Maybe one day we can go into a trance-like state and upload and enjoy an entire movie, directly into our brains, while only 1 minute passes in the real world.