RARBG torrents shuts down

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: RARBG torrents shuts down

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:06 am Yts.mx might be nice for simply discovering new stuff, their actual releases are low quality like YIFY back in the day as far as I know.
This is perfectly satisfactory for 95% of what I download, which I am lucky if I even watch once. I recognize that it would be foolish to download 9Gb+ files for EVERYTHING -- I just need it for the really special items. It wastes my time and my hard drive space. A series of HBO or Netflix specials by some raunchy stand-up comedian? Oh please, give me the YTS! Even my "favorite" stuff that I am watching a SECOND time, 35-40 years later. 1080p 1.8Gb is still an improvement over VHS, and my vision is much worse than back then. I have been selling off a number of my 4k UHD releases, because I realize that by the time I might "want" to watch them again I will be dead, or incapable of remembering that I would care for a third viewing. And blu-ray players will be nonfunctioning unrepairable irreplacable antiques anyway.

Now, for the stuff that I REALLY like, and/or where the visuals are important, yet I am too cheap to buy the blu-ray ... THEN I want the big files!
Torrentgalaxy.to mostly has mainstream stuff, not so much smaller, more rare independent films
Perfect, thank you! I see it has a Browse and a Latest, exactly what I want! I had been there before but it was not one of the ones I thought of when I realized I WANTED to lazily browse mostly mainstream stuff!
IMDB lists can sometimes be useful to find interesting films as well.
No thank you, IMDB is curated by morons. (Sorry to those who use it!) And please understand that in this case I am NOT interested in being given movies to SEARCH for sources, I get enough of that from FLM REQuests. I am interested in seeing what is available NEW to torrent NOW, and I can decide if I want it. This is a minimal effort, Entertain Me Now sort of deal. Download 3 movies in a few hours and then start watching them that evening or the next day. For example, I have picked up old film noir I only saw 15-20 years ago on DVD, 30-40 years ago on cable, or missed seeing entirely. Recently I watched a slew of Robert Mitchum movies, also Charles Bronson from the 60s-80s. Plenty of those show up on YTS. Grumpy old guy movies!
To block those ads you might want try enabling/adding additional Adblock filter lists to your adblocker (I hope it’s uBlock Origin).
Whaaaat? Thank you, I will Google what filter lists are and add them to uBlock Origin! It was shocking that it was suddenly allowing this advertising crap.
It none of these lists include this Netflix ad, you should try uBlock Origin‘s „Element picking“ feature with which you can create own Adblock filters and basically remove any ad, image, layout or ELEMENT on any website.
I have used that many times before, but this time it only worked on the exact page I was looking at. As soon as I opened a new movie page, the ad was back. I only spend less than a minute on each page of a succession of pages, so I hardly want to element pick everyone single one! And I was seeing the exact same image of an asshole drug-addled Disney pirate actor and his shit-a-bed ex-wife. F*** them. I digress...

Otherwise, that is normally a good suggestion. Thanks for all the ideas!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Yay! Before I even figured out the filter lists (still working on that), I came up with a solution to block the Netflix ad on YTS.mx, using uBlockOrigin: I clicked the icon near the top that looks like a filmstrip and is labeled "Click to block large media elements on this site". Problem solved! No more @mb3r-J04nny!

I have also been browsing torrentgalaxy, at the very least finding material that I would watch but already have. So something new and viewable should show up. Thanks!
goku33

Post by goku33 »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:00 pm Yay! Before I even figured out the filter lists (still working on that), I came up with a solution to block the Netflix ad on YTS.mx, using uBlockOrigin: I clicked the icon near the top that looks like a filmstrip and is labeled "Click to block large media elements on this site". Problem solved! No more @mb3r-J04nny!

I have also been browsing torrentgalaxy, at the very least finding material that I would watch but already have. So something new and viewable should show up. Thanks!
Go to the uBlock origin preferences/settings and click on filter lists, I often even enabled „Russia EasyList“ as we are browsing Russian torrent/privacy sites as well. Some filter lists will change your browsing experience (e.g. blocking external fonts would be done for privacy reasons but also lead to sites looking weird when letters aren’t shown correctly or at all anymore).

[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

I had gotten as far as the Settings page but was not ready to figure out what Filter lists settings to change or add beyond what I already had. I have not done any Custom / Import changes yet, but I did just add some of your "Annoyances", since I am easily annoyed and that is entirely what adblocking is about for me. Thank you again!
ferdi111

Post by ferdi111 »   0 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Cool, thanks! Even if I only use them to help find vintage RARBG material, I am definitely interested.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:24 pm Cool, thanks! Even if I only use them to help find vintage RARBG material, I am definitely interested.
For browsing new stuff you could also use streaming sites like watchmovies.nz but be warned when playing videos/streams, lots of ads, pop up Windows and maybe even malware for windows10. UBlock Origin does already a lot of protection. Also general advise would be to use a Windows account without admin privileges..but it gets uncomfortable to use whenever you have to install new software I guess.
Night457
Global Moderator

I don't have to worry about "malware for windows10" because I am still using 8.1!! :mrgreen:

And having "to use a Windows account without admin privileges" sounds like torture, I have not had to do that outside of work for decades.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:36 pm I don't have to worry about "malware for windows10" because I am still using 8.1!! :mrgreen:

And having "to use a Windows account without admin privileges" sounds like torture, I have not had to do that outside of work for decades.
The worrisome thing is.. you Stil don’t have to enter an admin password when installing software, right?

In Linux it’s always asked..
Night457
Global Moderator

I sometimes have to select "Run as Admin" for some things, but I never need a password to install anything. The account I use has full Admin privileges because it is my computer and my account. I have to login at restart, but that is it.