[REL] Little Darlings (1980)

pillowbaker

Re: [REL] Little Darlings (1980)

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Thanks for reminding me about this one, lunastar! This is one of those movie I've heard of but never gave it a try. Seeing the good response it has here, I really look forward to it. Some potentially easy upgrades:

The movie is at rarbg.
I currently have a seed uploading the x265 encode to me. I am also trying to grab the x264. Sometimes I get really lucky with older torrents at rarbg.
edit: I got the x265 version from rarbg and I'm seeding it there if anyone wants. The file looks good and I'm happy to emule it as well.

720p yify version at uloz

816p version at uloz.

None are verified yet.

1080p streaming at YT
Another 1080p option on YT

(these both look passably good)

:D
pillowbaker

Pardon the additional post. It appears I have indeed previously downloaded this movie, a couple of times actually. This is partially because this movie has a history of TV edits/cuts, soundtracks edits, resulting in multiple fan edits. There's probably way more to it than I've gotten into with such cursory research.

So, apparently Little Darlings had a TV release edit where much of the more racy material referring to sex and losing virginity was scrubbed. Considering the some of what may be the crux of the movie's plot, how would they do this? (I only glossed over this to avoid spoilers, myself ---> ) From imdb:
Alternate Versions

NBC broadcast this film in early 1983 (and reran it in mid-1984) using an alternate version complete with originally cut footage to replace the risqué material as well as sloppy dubbing to cover up all traces of "virginity loss". In one case, when Cinder asks Sunshine to "play something sexy" on her flute, the dubbing changed the line to "play something SULTRY." In place of "whoever loses her virginity first--wins!" came the change "whoever gets a guy first--wins!" There was also a fairly large scene brought out of the vault which had Angel saving Ferris from drowning after Ferris' boat capsizes in a storm. Other new scenes: the hijacked bus breaking down just outside of Camp Little Wolf, forcing the girls to walk back with the condom machine; Miss Nichols asking each of the girls if they know anything about one of the campers being involved with Mr. Callahan; the girls going to Miss Nichols to confess their story (to get Gary out of trouble), including a reluctant Cinder (sporting a black eye from Sunshine's sock to her face).
The US home video version (in the red box) has music which differs from the theatrical version. The first VHS version from Paramount in the blue box is intact and correct.

So the TV release has material added in that the original movie did not have in its theatrical release.

Apparently, that's not all. For video and TV release, a fair amount of the original soundtrack had to be replaced due to some licensing issues.

Thus, bring on the fan edits. Well one person's project was to add back in the deleted scenes to the TV release, with its existing new additions, resulting in a movie with a runtime of 1 hour 50 minutes, 15 minutes longer than the original intended release. In the creator's words:
An alternate version of Little Darlings was made for TV which had all the sex-related scenes and dialogue removed, giving the impression that, instead of trying to lose their virginity, Angel and Ferris were merely trying to make a guy fall in love with them. The deleted scenes were replaced with leftover footage not seen in the film version, including a scene in which Angel rescues Ferris from drowning in the lake. I have added the deleted scenes into the R-Rated movie. All original music appears in the films soundtrack which when released on VHS they switched the music.

This leads to another release, regarding originally included music. It seems someone managed to capture a decent encode with original soundtrak before it was removed:
The film was notable for having a contemporary pop soundtrack, with music by artists like Blondie, Rickie Lee Jones, Supertramp, The Cars, and Iain Matthews. The original video release — on blue box VHS and laserdisc — kept the soundtrack intact, however, many songs in the film such as Supertramp's "School", John Lennon's "Oh My Love" and The Bellamy Brothers' "Let Your Love Flow" were removed from the second round of home releases — VHS red box — due to licensing issues, and were replaced with sound-alikes. The film has not been released on DVD, but was briefly available for digital video rental on iTunes and Amazon with the original soundtrack. It has since been removed from both services.

This is a HQ HDTV copy. It is not my rip! I downloaded it from Usenet some time ago. it's not perfect, but its the best quality version of this movie I have seen. The original soundtrack is intact and in stereo. It is a big file, but it will still fit onto a DVD.
I have the 1h50m fan edit, downloaded some time ago. But there's upsides and downsides. I feel it would only be of interest to the enthusiast. While having the added material may be neat, the encode is only in full screen mode, 4:3. It is also an SD encode with some noticeable interlacing. But I am happy to emule it if anyone is interested. 1.5gb.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:10 amThis is one of those movie I've heard of but never gave it a try.
Hey, me too! Your post got me interested again.
pillowbaker wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:14 am I have the 1h50m fan edit, downloaded some time ago. But there's upsides and downsides. I feel it would only be of interest to the enthusiast.
I think it is fair to call you an "enthusiast", but since you are pretty sure you have not SEEN it yet, then you may not be an enthusiast of this movie so much. Maybe an enthusiast of collecting all possible versions of a movie before you decide to watch even one of them?

I would start out with a standardly-available higher quality version and watch that, even if it has music replacement. If I like it enough then I would go for the alternate edits. I have a number of movies with various alternate presentations, but I have seen at least ONE of the versions first, sometimes decades ago. It was only later that I found out, "Oh no, that is not the original theatrical version, which has THIS SONG that makes it so much better!"

I totally get this kind of fan nuttiness. Sometimes my "preferred" version ends up being VHS quality rather than the prettier looking blu-ray version.
pillowbaker

Night457 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:57 am I think it is fair to call you an "enthusiast", but since you are pretty sure you have not SEEN it yet, then you may not be an enthusiast of this movie so much. Maybe an enthusiast of collecting all possible versions of a movie before you decide to watch even one of them?
I cannot deny this, you are right. Mostly. :geek: Then again, you already knew about my compulsion for continuously hunting down films of interest. I get it pretty bad sometimes, and I am not by any means efficient at it.

Normally, I would like to only grab only the most complete edition of a movie in good quality, even if I haven't seen it before. Problem is, sometimes there are more like variations of what are complete. It's then that I usually end up with multiple copies of the same movie. On the whole, I don't like the additional clutter of extra files, but it can be fun digging around for the best experience.

I can relate with the enjoyment of the vhs version of some movies. For me, it harkens back to renting them and watching homemade vhs recordings of movies from the TV. The way the crt screen masked any visual deficiencies and the low res of the vhs rather allows me to become more immersed in the movie. I remember the first time I started seeing these high def movies on super HD screens with the soap opera effect. Not enjoyable at all. I've figured out how to deal with that issue and enjoy my 1080p files now too.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I just thought it funny you did not remember that you had already downloaded some version of it! That means it is time to watch at least ONE of them. You could find out that you think it really sucks, and not waste time searching out 6 more variations. If you like it then you keep collecting and watching the others.

I used to have an enthusiasm for the longest possible version of movies I liked, but now I need them shorter. It is still nice having deleted scenes available separately. Usually I can find one or two out of a dozen that I actually like and would watch again.

I don't really have any nostalgia for VHS, but if VHS is the only source for my favorite EDIT of a movie, then that is what I will go for. I try to find digital rips so that I don't have to play an ancient tape! Fortunately the VHS-only versions are not too common, because some boutique blu-ray label ends up releasing alternate cuts as bonus features, even if they are only standard definition.
lunastar2021

Post by lunastar2021 »   0 likes

downlode thr pics?
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Ah damn only boy nudity according to SC lol
lunastar2021

Tatum O’Neal Kristy McNichol and Cynthia Nixon is cool

three little stars
lunastar2021

how can I improve the image quality? bring in more sharpness?
Rich_Visiting

Post by Rich_Visiting »   2 likes

New RELs this week...

[1080i HDTV Little Darlings.mkv]

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:u7yo2za2bpo54jsui6rs7d36opxvvssz&dn=1080i%20HDTV%20Little%20Darlings.mkv&xl=6056233631&fc=1
[Little.Darlings.1980.720p.HDTV.mkv]

Code: Select all

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5xbmsq2cczglrn7aerr6536g3qepjbqw&dn=Little.Darlings.1980.720p.HDTV%20%5B88%5D&xl=1729469766&fc=3
:)