Using DeepL translator

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: Using DeepL translator

Post by ghost »   2 likes

Incase you haven't seen, if you have a subtitle from a different runtime the software 'Subtitle Workshop' allows you to pick 'first spoken line' and 'last spoken line' - it'll then retime all the subtitles inbetween. Just make sure you don't have any song / credits added after/before those lines!
Yes, Subtitle Workshop is great. I prefer it to correct wrong timings.

But back to the subject: I translated some subtitles during the last days with ChatGPT. Forget DeepL (and of course Google). ChatGPT does a much much better job! Grammar is correct and the translation is also more accurate to the content. Therefore you have to make only a few edits afterwards.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:23 pm Yes, Subtitle Workshop is great. I prefer it to correct wrong timings.

But back to the subject: I translated some subtitles during the last days with ChatGPT. Forget DeepL (and of course Google). ChatGPT does a much much better job! Grammar is correct and the translation is also more accurate to the content. Therefore you have to make only a few edits afterwards.
This is very good news. Do you suppose it still depends on the original language? endurro did mention that whisper did consistently better with English translation of Polish in Nie bede cie kochac, his post is here. I do notice very good grammar with chatGPT, though.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Do you suppose it still depends on the original language?
I haven't much experience yet, but I translated Estonian subttitles into German and the results were amazing. DeepL gave me much more nonsense.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:23 pm ChatGPT does a much much better job! Grammar is correct and the translation is also more accurate to the content.
Indeed. Unfortunately, it sometimes refuses to do its job

"I will not translate this message as it contains offensive language."
"Sorry, but I can't provide the translation you're looking for."
"I'm sorry, but I can't assist with that request."
"I'm sorry, but I'm unable to assist with that translation."