Using DeepL translator

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: Using DeepL translator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:38 pm I see there is a handy option to remove line breaks from subtitle text. Is there any way to remove time codes as well, so I can output or copy/paste just the pure dialogue?
  • Load subtitle into SubtitleEdit.
  • Go to File > Export > Plain text...
  • In the "Export text" popup window, under "Export options", select "Unbreak lines", and then uncheck "Add new line after text".
  • Then Save as... with your new filename.
If you want one continuous mass of text, then ALSO uncheck "Add new line between subtitles". OR, select Format text > "Merge all lines".

Or, if you WANT to have a blank line after each subtitle line, then leave "Add new line after text" checked.

Experiment and check out the options. There is a Preview that shows what it will look like.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

NICE! Wish I would have asked this question months ago. Would have saved me a couple hours with Kukolnik.

I'll definitely be using that preview function. I wanna see if I can make it smart enough to combine sentences. That is, whole sentences that got split due to favorable subtitle timing, I need to put them back together to sort things out better for the machine translating.

Thanks for the infoz!
Night457
Global Moderator

That would be the continuous mass of text (Merge all lines) option.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   0 likes

Is there a way to do this on a small section of the subtitle? I ran into a situation this week where I wanted to copy ~10 lines at a time without line breaks or timecodes so I could toss them into a translator.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Did you know that you can translate documents with DeepL? Just open your .srt file with MS Word or Libre Office or any other text program and save it as a .docx document. Transform the downloaded translated docx document again to a .txt file and change the extension to .srt.

https://www.deepl.com/translator/files
Night457
Global Moderator

DreamScape wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:42 am Is there a way to do this on a small section of the subtitle?
There are many dozens of Selected Lines / Right-click / "Save selected lines as..." text options, but I do not see any of them that jump out to me as ones that remove the line number and timings.

To do what you want on only a limited part, the easiest method seems to me to be to take the 30 seconds to create and save the text file without timecodes. You can then repeatedly copy and paste whatever amount of text you want.

My own level of patience requires translating an entire document at once, as ghost suggested. It looks like DeepL whole document translation is a freemium service, with a limited number of free documents per month. If that is all you do anyway then I suppose that is not a problem if you do not mind logging in to do it. I stopped using DeepL when they went away from the completely free, no registration model.
endurro

Post by endurro »   1 likes

There is an option in subtitledit that allows you to synchronize a subtitle file with another subtitle file.

Translating this into understandable language:

You have Finnish subtitles well synchronized, and you have English subtitles for the same movie but in a different distribution. The English subtitles have the same number of lines of dialog but a completely different synchronization, which may, for example, be due to a different frame rate or simply a different distribution (logos at the beginning and end of the movie).

Then the easiest way is to choose the option of synchronizing English subtitles with Finnish subtitles.
The program automatically rewrites the subtitle times from the Finnish version to the English version, leaving the English dialogue lines.

Another method is to simply spot sync the English subtitle file based on the Finnish subtitle file. Sometimes it is enough to select a few synchronization points,(For example, the first and last line and one or two in the middle) and sometimes you need to select a dozen of these points. This method is a bit more complicated for someone doing it for the first time. You just need to practice, because the interface of this option may not be clear to everyone.

EDIT
The advantage of point synchronization is that the subtitles in the two versions can have different numbers of lines of dialogue and still one version can be synchronized with the other. All you need to do is simply find some corresponding lines of dialog in both files and apply synchronization based on them.
DreamScape

Post by DreamScape »   1 likes

endurro wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:30 am There is an option in subtitledit that allows you to synchronize a subtitle file with another subtitle file.
[...]
Yes, I find this much faster than visual synchronization. To add to this, if you have trouble reading the non-English subtitles you can highlight the first ~10 and last ~10 lines and translate those to English, save that temporarily. Then synchronize the English subtitle to the partially translated file.

This also works when synchronizing a subtitle to existing DVD subs that need to be OCR'ed first. You can save lots of time by only OCR'ing the first few and last few lines instead of the entire movie.
Night457
Global Moderator

DreamScape wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:38 pm This also works when synchronizing a subtitle to existing DVD subs that need to be OCR'ed first. You can save lots of time by only OCR'ing the first few and last few lines instead of the entire movie.
I've done that!!! :thumbsup
David32441

Post by David32441 »   0 likes

endurro wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:30 am There is an option in subtitledit that allows you to synchronize a subtitle file with another subtitle file.

Translating this into understandable language:

You have Finnish subtitles well synchronized, and you have English subtitles for the same movie but in a different distribution. The English subtitles have the same number of lines of dialog but a completely different synchronization, which may, for example, be due to a different frame rate or simply a different distribution (logos at the beginning and end of the movie).

Then the easiest way is to choose the option of synchronizing English subtitles with Finnish subtitles.
The program automatically rewrites the subtitle times from the Finnish version to the English version, leaving the English dialogue lines.

Another method is to simply spot sync the English subtitle file based on the Finnish subtitle file. Sometimes it is enough to select a few synchronization points,(For example, the first and last line and one or two in the middle) and sometimes you need to select a dozen of these points. This method is a bit more complicated for someone doing it for the first time. You just need to practice, because the interface of this option may not be clear to everyone.

EDIT
The advantage of point synchronization is that the subtitles in the two versions can have different numbers of lines of dialogue and still one version can be synchronized with the other. All you need to do is simply find some corresponding lines of dialog in both files and apply synchronization based on them.
Incase you haven't seen, if you have a subtitle from a different runtime the software 'Subtitle Workshop' allows you to pick 'first spoken line' and 'last spoken line' - it'll then retime all the subtitles inbetween. Just make sure you don't have any song / credits added after/before those lines!