What settings and software to use for upscaling movies?

All hardware and software related discussion topics here. Advice, discussion and opinions on either topic are welcome.
sam1967

What settings and software to use for upscaling movies?

Post by sam1967 »   1 likes

Hi im a new user of this site (cant believe it took me this long to find it) and i want to become a valuable member of this website by providing download mirrors and upscaling.

But i don't really understand the software all too well, like i don't know what all different settings mean and what i should use for a good upscaling. I can get my hands on any software with ease for windows and linux, so that's not the issue.

Can someone give me some advice what software and settings to use for a decent upscale most of the time?
ghost
Site Admin

Re: What settings and software to use for upscaling movies?

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Welcome to FLM.

You will get the best results with Topaz Video AI (https://www.topazlabs.com/topaz-video-ai). I can't give you a short guide how to use it. It really depends on the source. There are other methods like SuoerScale in Davinci Resolve (paid version).

It is really a very complex matter and you need some experience.
sam1967

Post by sam1967 »   1 likes

ghost wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:33 am Welcome to FLM.

You will get the best results with Topaz Video AI (https://www.topazlabs.com/topaz-video-ai). I can't give you a short guide how to use it. It really depends on the source. There are other methods like SuoerScale in Davinci Resolve (paid version).

It is really a very complex matter and you need some experience.
Yea i was already afraid of that. Ill try to just learn it by trial and error then ;) Or if someone else is willing to provide some further assistance, it is really greatly appreciated. :)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Hi sam1967, welcome. Glad to see more enthusiasts here.

From what I gather about upscaling, it is usually pretty involved. Upscales are quite nice when done properly, but like ghost said, might require a bit of a learning curve for someone who doesn't have as much experience with video editing or encoding software. In my short time here, I have found pretty gnarly upscales that made the characters look disturbing. Not good. It also involves quite a bit of processor power. (edit: these are not videos shared here or made by anyone here)

May I suggest starting out with other easier areas if you're interested in providing to the community? I have some ideas:

- Members are always looking for interesting things to add to their collections and, of course, to watch (eventually). If you have emule set up, would you like to try finding something unique to RELease here? If you don't have anything yet, or if the idea sounds intimidating, I have a few movies and TV episodes that I haven't released yet, some of them are pretty good. I could give you a couple and you can take the credit. ;)

- Similarly, there are quite a few releases here than can be upgraded. I am referring to 720p or 1080p encodes of movies don't have HD releases yet.
This is without the need for upscaling them. I have a few of these, I think. I'm happy to point you out to a few of them.

- If you enjoy playing around with languages and editing dialogue, there's always subtitles to translate or transcribe. The community has uncovered some new developments that allow just about anyone to participate. I have a lot of these. Come see me if you're interested.

- If you want to get practice with some software, I suggest tinkering with
Jdownloader2
yt-dlp
Makemkv
MkvMerge
SubtitleEdit

Anyone feel free to add to this list.
jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

I was experimenting a bit with Topaz a couple of months ago. My goal was to sharpen the image without upscaling, because the perceived resolution of the 1080p HDTV source was less than SD. The source was a movie I made subtitles for (not OT here). The improvement I got was hardly noticeable when zooming-in and barely worth the effort for normal viewing. I followed the included tutorials and tried almost every setting.

I would't dare to upscale up to HD. I just want to sharpen very low resolution videos and smoothing the motion on very low framerate ones.

I reckon I need to learn a lot to get some useful outcome.

I'd like to learn. I reckon a short tutorial won't do. I don't know if I won't get discouraged and give up by a long tutorial but I'd like to give it a try.

(In the past 15 or so years I've been using VirtualDub and got some useful results from time to time. I realize this AI stuff is an entirely different thing. I understand the theory of AI to some extent, but working with the "black box" finished and learned app is a different skill).

@ ghost: can you at least give us some advice on where to find info and tutorials?
ghost
Site Admin

@ ghost: can you at least give us some advice on where to find info and tutorials?
I would suggest Youtube. You'll find a lot of tutorials there.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

jpf

Post by jpf »   0 likes

Thanks. I'll keep searching YT (so far nothing enlighting) and start digging reddit. I'll post news if I find something that works for me.
goku33

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

jpf wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:56 pm Thanks. I'll keep searching YT (so far nothing enlighting) and start digging reddit. I'll post news if I find something that works for me.
What languages do you speak? There are some good video enthusiasts forums. Also, might check out the topaz-labs forums for help.

By the way, @ghost what are your thoughts on v3 of Video enhance ai? I Heard the rendering times got much better but some say adding grain was better done in previous versions/models
ghost
Site Admin

what are your thoughts on v3 of Video enhance ai? I Heard the rendering times got much better but some say adding grain was better done in previous versions/models
3.0 was a mess, when they released it about 1 year ago (still many bugs), but the "current" version 3.54 is much better than 2.64 was. And yes, it has become faster. I can see no difference in the grain settings and -results.

BTW: They switched to 4.0 about 1 week ago.