pillowbaker

[REL] The Monster's Christmas (1981) [New Zealand]

Post by pillowbaker »   34 likes

The Monster's Christmas
AKA
Monsters Christmas oder Die verzauberten Stimmen

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1346854/

[Image]

I've wanted to share a Christmas movie here for a while now, something special. And I've finally found something! Well, it certainly is unusual and fairly strange. It appears to be a relatively obscure Christmas TV movie from New Zealand, and while it may chart a few favorite "badfilm" lists, I found it to be delightful and wonderfully bonkers. The monster costumes are remarkable, quite accomplished, and charmingly gross. The main girl gets most of the screentime with fellow monsters. The actress, Lucy McGrath, has very little information about her available, but she was such a spunky and gentle sweetheart in the movie. I think you would have the most fun going in without much more knowledge of the movie, and try to watch it through the eyes of your inner-child. But here's more info if you'd like.

It's Christmas Eve and as a young girl reads her favorite bedtime story, she discovers a monster in her living room who has lost his voice due to a curse cast by an evil witch. Our heroine agrees to help the monster using a simple disguise and the witch's magic wand...

Please, if you need further convincing, I entreat you to watch this clip, but only the first 1:08 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image] [Image] [Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some fun comments I've come across (no spoilers):
Spoiler:

"Come for the monsters, stay for the paper-eating."

"This weird, weird New Zealand shit is fucked up in the most terrifying, K. Gordon Murray-esque way possible. I know it's not seasonally appropriate, but I assure you, it does not matter at all. Enjoy this relic of my childhood."

"I searched for this movie for 25 years thinking that I might have imagined it in a Christmas flu fever dream. I saw it once and only once on cable at about age five, and I was never the same again. Thanks for the nostalgia a hundredfold."

Like this post to see ed2k links  [910.11 Mb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [35.6 Kb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [23.0 Kb]

Source: TubiTV, here's the link. 720p. Old film, carries a bit of the classic film grain/splatter stuff, with a slight discoloration on the left side that isn't too noticeable except in dark areas. Just imagine you're watching it as a child on your grandparent's CRT television. It'll be great.

I found subs online. I edited them a bit and resynced them. They are still not perfect.

Also available on Youtube, 480p.

This appears to be FREE to rent on amazon. Possibly limited to subscribers? Appears to be similar quality as the tubitv rip.

This movie also has a RiffTrax.
Sample here.

Request for assistance:
This film may have a higher quality encode somewhere. The RiffTrax video has noticeably better quality, so I wonder if a similar encode exists. Anyone willing to look with their usual search abilities?
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] The Monster's Christmas (1981) [New Zealand]

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thanks for this Xmas movie, pillowbaker. :blush

I also came across it on Tubi some time ago, but it was just too weird for me. :mrgreen:

It's probably in better qzality on Amazon, but it isn't for free ($ 2.99).

BTW: I love her Christmas costume.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   2 likes

A little girl and her monster friend? 1980s? NEW ZEALAND?!? You had me there, I did not need to see any clips. The fact that it is Rifftrax-worthy had me entirely sold!

... LATER EDIT ...

Wow, that was perverted!

Major SPOILERS:
Spoiler:

A fearless little girl who is really fascinated by huge hideous hairy monsters.

When he reveals his magic wand it is REALLY LONG and very clearly pleases her.

One monster abducts and runs off with her while she screams in protest that she is on their side. He tosses her on the ground where she lies helpless with eyes closed and whispers "I want to be a monster too." He is actually a friendly monster so he aids her in that physical transformation.

Monsters like to be tickled as it makes them throb up and down in excitement.
(Calling Dr. Freud!)

These monsters like to eat flowers, or actually pictures of them. She draws a flower and gives it to her monster friend. He finds her flower very tasty. She gives another such picture to a two-headed monster, who tears it in half to share with his other head. He is clearly rapturous while sniffing it.

The witch's Nasty assaults her behind a bush and appears to be tossing her clothing everywhere. She does not scream "No!!!!" until it is over and he has escaped after getting what he wants. Well, what he thinks he wants, having left his ball behind.

At the end, her monster friends wait anxiously below as she ascends a very tall ladder ... with what must be a clear view for them looking up her nightgown.

She leads them in singing a song about a virgin.
Thanks! Next for me is the RiffTrax version.
guava98

Post by guava98 »   3 likes

Not a bad movie. Pretty camp. Made me want a space avocado.

[Image]

I'll probably watch it again.
Night457 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:13 pm... LATER EDIT ...

Wow, that was perverted!
Yes.

Notice at the 8-minute mark when the "one-eyed-monster" and the girl are just sitting around shooting the breeze. She's in a nurse costume, and he's sitting there with the wand sticking out between his legs. He's not holding it. It's pierced through his foam costume in a very suggestive yet non-descript area on his monster anatomy. :D
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

Ha! As depraved as my dirty mind is, I missed that wand positioning ... AND the fact that he is a "one-eyed monster". I must be slipping. I am about to watch the RiffTrax version now (a little delayed from when I expected) so I will watch for that. I did keep thinking of new things after I wrote my post, but I decided that editing it once was enough.

I do understand that fairy tales are easy to give Freudian interpretations, but so much of this was really on the nose. The writers HAD to know what they were doing.
deadman

Post by deadman »   2 likes

guava98 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:55 am
Night457 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:13 pm... LATER EDIT ...

Wow, that was perverted!
Yes.

Notice at the 8-minute mark when the "one-eyed-monster" and the girl are just sitting around shooting the breeze. She's in a nurse costume, and he's sitting there with the wand sticking out between his legs. He's not holding it. It's pierced through his foam costume in a very suggestive yet non-descript area on his monster anatomy. :D

It's driven through the costume at about knee level. That was the only area you could jam that metal wand where it wouldn't either fall out or skewer the actor.

But I'm sure a psychologist would find your interpretation ... revealing. Some people just have their minds in the gutter! :cool1

The picture quality on Tubi is good - but this little film could use some digital restoration to remove the imperfections. The reels from 1981 clearly weren't stored in ideal conditions.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   4 likes

This is so trippy I watched it a THIRD time already. It is helping put me in the proper Christmas spirit.

Girl's overbite is adorable, and Witch's "Give It To Me" song is relentlessly catchy.

I have been trying to convince some non-eMuling people to put this movie on their Xmas Film List. I took pillowbaker's Tubi eMule file and muxed in the RiffTrax as secondary audio, along with the movie dialog optional English subtitle. It is available on workupload:

Code: Select all

https://workupload.com/file/kusGkbkFNyp
This is the first I have used the anonymous workupload, so I do not know how long the links last.

EDIT: I have been told they last about 2 weeks!

EDIT 2: Therefore I have also uploaded it to the long-lasting (?) MEGA:

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/file/uMZSTATI#0wu6Wf3wW2aehVIHv822fhVVK78X527GrnfO5rQJuMo
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

vos wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am Nice, I love OT movies with monsters and all kind of supernatural characters, thank you for sharing

Maybe we could create a dedicated topic for this kind of movies? I'm still discovering new ones, like that one!
Great idea! I moved your post and the follow-ups to this new thread here:
https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... hp?t=15617
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   0 likes

thank you pillow for post and night for the MEGA link, will be interesting, looks quite similar to Return to oZ, whit that little fairuza balk :inlove