Berlinale 2024

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
Nasuada

Berlinale 2024

Post by Nasuada »   3 likes

[Image]

The year is slowly coming to an end and while Santa Claus is still throwing the last parcels onto his sleigh, the Berlinale is already busy putting together the program for February 2024.
And as always, it's almost one of the best presents for me when the keyword "Generation" is mentioned in the press section of the Berlinale and so it finally happened two days ago.
The first selected Generation films (kplus and 14plus) are now online, with more to follow. The selection so far already sounds very promising.

Here is the upcomming selection:
13 films provide us with a first glimpse of the Generation competition programmes...

“Between gentle insistence and furious rebellion, we encounter protagonists who follow very different paths but share an unwillingness to make peace with things the way they are. In a world that is falling apart, these films reveal fresh perspectives on what is and what could be,” section head Sebastian Markt says of the programme’s outline to date.

Disco Afrika : une histoire malgache (Disco Afrika: A Malagasy Story) accompanies a young miner on a journey back to his hometown, where he will need to confront more than just his family’s past. Luck Razanajaona’s debut - a World Cinema Fund funded project exploring images of the present day in conjunction with the history of colonialism, resistance and independence - is the first feature film from Madagascar to be shown in the Berlinale programme. Two contributions present young transnational cinema from Germany: In Aslı Özarslan’s excellent film adaptation of Fatma Aydemir’s successful novel Ellbogen (Elbow), young Hazal’s hunger for life repeatedly leads to closed doors until her pent-up frustration erupts in a consequential act of rage.
In Soleen Yusef’s Sieger Sein (Winners), Mona, having escaped Syria with her Kurdish family, finds herself at a school in Berlin's Wedding district; here, a teacher recognises her footballing talents. In order to win, a group of fierce girls need to learn what it means to fight as a team.

Comme le feu (Who by Fire) is about three teenagers spending a summer in the remote country house of an established director in Quebec. Philippe Lesage’s latest film unfolds an intense drama of epic scope, switching between the chalet’s confines and the vast surrounding wilderness.
Ingrid Pokropek sends the young protagonist of her debut film Los tonos mayores (The Major Tones) on an emotional quest, beginning with a mysterious message that the girl appears to receive through an implant in her arm; ultimately, she learns that the meaning of things is something we need to keep on (re)discovering.
After opening the Kplus competition in 2022 with Oink!, Mascha Halberstad returns to the Generation programme this year with her new animated film Fox and Hare Save the Forest, which features her characteristic anarchic humour.

Threads of related, complementary themes and forms can also be detected in the submissions to the short film competitions, the other essential part of the Generation programme. At a provincial traditional eve-of-wedding party, a young girl begins to grasp the nature of the society in which she is growing up - and more than the Porcelain gets broken in the process. Two sisters facing their father’s violence find a way to escape the spiral – by turning to each other (Cura sana). Sukoun (Amplified) represents an impressively coherent audiovisual picture of a young hearing-impaired female karate fighter’s perception of the world, which has become more fragile after experiencing an assault. A Jewish youth in the declining Soviet Union encounters hostility as he rebels, both from and beyond those in political power: Obraza (Resentment). In Brazil, two young people find tenderness and solidarity in the face of state neglect and repression (Lapso). In Muna, the eponymous protagonist discovers a surprising bond with a relative she has never had a chance to meet. And kissing? The children think it’s: Beurk! (Yuck!) - although, on the other hand...

Source: https://www.berlinale.de/en/2024/news-p ... 47892.html

First selected Images (you can see more Images over the Link for each movie):

Cura sana
[Image]

Los tonos mayores
[Image]

Porzellan
[Image]

Sukoun
[Image]

Sieger Sein (aka Winners)
[Image]
[Image]
Nasuada

Re: Berlinale 2024

Post by Nasuada »   0 likes

Whooops... I recognized tonight that I made a Mistake with the Year... I fixed the Topic to Berlinale 2024. Sorry for that. It was late for me as I post my text :-X
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

Whooops... I recognized tonight that I made a Mistake with the Year... I fixed the Topic to Berlinale 2024.
Yes, I was wondering about that. :mrgreen:
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Nasuada wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:35 pmIt was late for me as I post my text :-X
I read your post with interest but did not notice the year AT ALL.

"It was late ..." :mrgreen:
Nasuada

ghost wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:01 am
Whooops... I recognized tonight that I made a Mistake with the Year... I fixed the Topic to Berlinale 2024.
Yes, I was wondering about that. :mrgreen:
It was just a test :lol:
[Image]
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

Now we reached first day of February and the programm of this year for the Berlinale is complete for all sections since a longer time.
I switched from now to my Berlinale Mode (as you can see on my Avatar) and in two weeks I'm changing my focus of live to the cinemas :-)

I'm not sure at the moment if this year would be a great one because there are not so much movies around who catching my interest yet but well... We will see what happen at the end :-)

At this point I think I will watching this movies:

Generation:
1. Aguacuario (Mexico 2023)
Meeting his responsibilities or defying his brother and embarking on a little three-wheeled adventure? That’s the dilemma a ten-year-old boy faces in Mexico.

2. Anaar Daana (India 2024) - SHORT
Guddal, a free-spirited five-year-old, loves eating the sour sweeties called Anaar Daana. Her antics with her brother Laddoo often land her in trouble. One day, a sad incident in the house causes a shift in her idyllic world.
Official Instagram Channel of the movie: https://www.instagram.com/ANAARDAANAFILM/

3. Goosfand (Iran 2024) - SHORT
A little girl who lives with her mother in Tehran discovers that the sheep in her neighbours’ backyard are being sacrificed in a traditional ritual. She decides to save as many animals as she can.

4. It’s Okay! (South Korea 2023)
One year after the tragic loss of her mother, In-young finds herself without a home. She takes shelter in the building of her dance school, but her secret sanctuary is in peril when the choreographer, Seol-ah, discovers her.

5. Porcelain (Germany 2024) - SHORT
On a remote German island, the inhabitants of a village come together to celebrate a traditional eve-of-wedding party. As the shards of the crockery smashed by the guests pile up, ten-year-old Fina struggles to keep a piece of herself intact.

6. Quell’estate con Irène aka My Summer with Irène (Italy / France 2024)
Italy, 1997. When Clara and Irène, both 17, meet, they are nothing like each other but get on marvellously well. They run away together to a faraway island off the coast of Sicily to live their summer freely, and to hide from a reality they want to forget.

7. Reinas (Switzerland / Spain / Peru 2024)
1992 is a turbulent year in Lima, Peru. Lucia, Aurora and their mother Elena decide to move to the US. A reunion with their estranged father and ex-husband, Carlos, leads to a departure filled with mixed emotions of hope and regret.
PS: This movie is also in selection of sundance film festival, so it's a little surprise for me, that this one will run first at the Berlinale

8. Sieger sein aka Winners (Germany 2024)
Mona has fled Syria with her Kurdish family and ends up in a primary school in Berlin-Wedding. Things are tough in the school. Everyone on Mona’s all-girls football team plays against each other. But only “team work makes the dream work”.

9. Sukoun (Jordan / Egypt / Palestine 2024) - SHORT
Hind is a young karate athlete who is hard of hearing. One day, after she is subjected to abusive behaviour at the training centre, her world becomes distorted. Hind must find a way to reclaim her power.

Encounters
10. Favoriten (Austria 2024)
No Text yet, only an Image, so I need to wait for more info.
https://www.berlinale.de/en/2024/progra ... 07612.html

Retroperspective
11. Im Land meiner Eltern aka In the Country of My Parents (Germany 1981)
In 1981, Jeanine Meerapfel questioned Jews living in Berlin about whether it felt like home, and about their fears. All of them were the children of exiled and persecuted parents. What they talked about is alarmingly topical, even today.

Some more info from https://jfbb.info:
Accompanied by 10-year-old Anna, the director roams the streets of Berlin and visits places of Jewish history. She conducts interviews with Jews living in West Berlin. The question of their own Jewish identity and how it feels for the interviewees to live in Germany today runs like a common thread through the film. The result: anti-Semitism and the feeling of not belonging are still part of the interviewees' everyday lives, and the wounds of the past are far from healed. This means that Germany's coming to terms with the past remains nothing more than an empty phrase. The result is a social analysis with which the director drew attention to the virulent right-wing extremism in West German society in the 1980s and which is - unfortunately - still relevant today.

You can found all movies over the programme table: https://www.berlinale.de/en/programme/b ... ramme.html. On the left you can using a filter where you can select the sections, like all movies from the Generation.
Last edited by Nasuada on Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thamks for keeping us updated, Nasuada!

Enjoy the movies.
Nasuada

Ok, this year looks to be one of the worst program ever since I'm visiting the Berlinale for over 10 years. So less movies who are selected. Even a lot of other changes, including a massive higher ticket price from 6€ to 9€ for the children section (Generation).
Until 2019 you payed around 4,50€ for a single ticket and 2,50€ for each group ticket. Since them the prices going up straightly :-(

Oh and I don't see on my list, that some more movies are short-movies. I changed them now..
[Image]
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   1 likes

All movies of this year Generation can be found in this PDF (German and English): https://www.berlinale.de/media/download ... chuere.pdf
[Image]
Nasuada

Post by Nasuada »   2 likes

Yesterday was half-time for the Berlinale and there were already plenty of premieres / world premieres of feature films and short films.
For the films I wanted to see, I successfully got all the tickets and in the end I will have 9 feature films, 9 short films and then the award ceremony at the end with the best short and feature film for the children's program.

I won't see another film in the children's program and I already have a clear favourite here, the feature film "Reinas" from Peru / Spain. I give a good second place to the film "It's Okay" from South Korea.

It's a bit difficult for me to decide on the short films. Here are my favorites: Aguacuario and Goosfand. But I also liked Anaar Daana, Porcelain and Sukoun. I'm curious to see what the children's jury will choose.
[Image]