[REL] Grenouilles (1983) short [France]

Movies that don't quite meet the requirements to be on-topic for FLM, maybe because the actors are too old or screen time is too small.
Triela

Re: [REQ] Grenouilles (1983)

Post by Triela »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmWhat the heck are you talking about? In 1970's Little Big Man, Dustin Hoffman played a character who was 121 years old and he was in his 30s.

Obviously, fantasy magic realism movies are one exception which proves the rule (which, for clarity's sake is: Actors hardly ever play "older", the VAST majority plays "younger" ... They only play older if it's necessary for the story... Just in case it wasn't clear what I meant the first time. Sorry for that. )
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmMarlon Brando and Al Pacino played older versions of their characters in the Godfather movies.
And aging characters are the other exception. Besides, they wére ólder than their characters youngest versions, which proves my point.
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmIn The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Brad Pitt's character aged BACKWARDS.
This is BOTH magic realism/fantasy AND an aging character! Or, de-aging. Whatevs
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmKing Lear on stage and film is always played by an actor much younger than the character, because it involves alot of action and dialog to memorize. An actor of the right age would not have the energy.
Too funny, who says old guys can't be ageists? :D :D I mean, who won an oscar as an octogenerian? Yep, Anthony Hopkins, he seems to have no memory problems whatsoever . And it's the MOVIES, they can take breaks whenever they feel like it, and of course use TELEPROMPTERS I never talked about stage plays, so you inserting that ... is what the cool kids call fallacious Straw man alert!
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmCollege-student Hamlet is always played by a fortyish man.
Not only does that prove MY MY MY point and not yours, but ......"college-student"?? Somehow, "college-student" is nót a relevant aspect of his character, I don't even remember it being mentioned at all, but I haven't seen it in a looong time. The RELEVANT aspect is that he's a prince of Denmark!
Unless you watched an Americanized version of Hamlet, set on some type of campus? ;) ;) ;) ??? This of course, proves your point, de-legitimizes the original version and makes you King of the World. ;)
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmGlenn Close is about 9 years older than Mel Gibson, but played his mother in Hamlet.
Hé proves my point, and she played her own age, which doesn't DISprove my point. Besides, their fóúr year age gap, not 9) does not make HER "play older" but makes him "play younger", that's some peculiar logic you got going there.
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmShe was about 4 years older than Robin Williams, but played his mother in The World According to Garp.
Again, hé proves my point, and she played her own age, which doesn't DISprove my point. Also, the aging character exception. She played younger and her own age, s
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmRobin Williams was about 30 but played his character as a college student.
Which, how odd, PROVES my point, idk why you brought him up.
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmDustin Hoffman at about the same age played a college graduate in The Graduate, and no his character did not have a PhD.
PhD??? What does that have to do with anything? He played a a college graduate who have an average age of 23 he turned 30 during filming which again, proves my point! He did NOT play some PhD cobber.
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pmJennifer Lawrence has played older characters in a number of movies.
Which? I'm curious. Even if she did that in all her movies, she still would an exception. Do you mean "Mother"? Teen moms exist and young 20 something moms are even more prevalent. And in "Passengers", that loveable vehicle of date-rape, she was FROZEN
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pm Scarlett Johansson was 18 in "Lost in Translation" and playing a college graduate.
Again, shé proves my point.
Night457 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:27 pm
It happens all the time!
It kinda never happens. The closest case was Michelle Williams in Dawsons creek who was 18 playing a 16 year old.
But now I dó remember one well known case, Mila Kunis in That 70s show. But she doesn't count because she lied like hell to get that part. The producers THOUGHT, ASSUMED she was 18 year old playing a 16 year old but she was 14 or something. 15?

It's ... generous? ... of you to provide at least three examples (gibson, williams, Yohansen, which prove MY point, and not yours. That's big of you, I have to say... :)
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

Hey, if you're all interested in this artsy short (I have no idea if a longer version actually exists), I am happy to grab the 475.40mb torrent at CG. It claims to have English or Italian subs. Please say the word.

Actually, specifically, the uploader lists this in the stats:
"Language: French with English subs (first set) or French with Italian Hardsubs (second set)"

First set and second set. Might be referring to subtitle tracks 1 and 2. But how can it be Italian hardsubs that can be turned off. I wonder if this is one of those videos with two video/audio tracks in one video.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

WORD!!!!!

Or maybe you mean the word "please"?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   9 likes

Frogtown would have been good enough! Or your best impression of Kermit would be excellent.

Here it is (and mega link further below):

Like this post to see ed2k links  [475.40 Mb]

I am pretty sure Kati, played by Ionesco, looks old enough to make this off-topic, but I cannot be too sure. The quality of this is relatively low.

I am also sorry to have to announce that the subtitles seem to pop in irregularly. Not nearly all the dialogue is subbed. It is possible that incomprehensible dialogue were glossed over, as some lines are difficult to hear and discern. Various environmental noises also drown out dialogue occasionally. Also, the timings are pretty off, with some lines popping up for only a fraction of a second. An easy fix in SE, I know. It is possible that there are more subtitles "hidden" by such a brief time allotment that they are rendered invisible to most viewers. The English wording of what's available is at least good, and what is subbed does seem to allow for basic understanding of what is being discussed. And there's no Italian subtitles from what I can gather.

[Image] [Image]

edit: uploading to mega for those interested. I will understand if you don't want to put this one in your emule library.

and done.

https://mega.nz/file/uAwAGA4R#5L-9uaixV ... TMcaiVNVU0
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Grenouilles (1983) [France]

Thank you for the subbed file, pillowbaker! Now maybe I will understand it.
Triela wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:03 pm EDIT:
it goes even slower the second time around
after 121 MB of a 573 MB file, still 9 hours left !?!?! It fluctuates between 4 hours and 9 hours.... whatevs
Good luck with this! I am curious about any video difference with pillowbaker's version, although I suspect they are all basically the same.

MOD NOTE: For now I have put this in Shorts because of the 35-minute runtime. If anyone ever finds a longer version then it can be moved over to the feature-length Releases.
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   0 likes

Triela wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:56 pm (it would be interesting indeed to have a 12 year old play an 18 year old... or something... whatevs... ) ....
Isabelle Fuhrman - 33yr - The Orphan
Kirsten Dunst - Older - Interview with the Vampire
Dakota Fanning -Older - New moon
Triela

Post by Triela »   13 likes

It has arrived, it's a 36min short, indeed. Given the bloatedness vs the lousy quality, I will reduce it 540p, 900kbps, soonest.
rel: by release date.

Code: Select all

Complete name          : EI06 Grenouilles {Eva Ionesco 18 1 10 rel} (1983).mkv
Format                 : Matroska
Format version         : Version 4 / Version 2
File size              : 573 MiB
Duration               : 36mn 35s
Overall bit rate       : 2 190 Kbps
Encoded date           : UTC 2023-04-15 12:49:52
Writing application    : mkvmerge v74.0.0 ('You Oughta Know') 64-bit

Like this post to see ed2k links  [573.20 Mb]
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Sully23 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:45 pm
Triela wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:56 pm (it would be interesting indeed to have a 12 year old play an 18 year old... or something... whatevs... ) ....
Isabelle Fuhrman - 33yr - The Orphan
Kirsten Dunst - Older - Interview with the Vampire
Dakota Fanning -Older - New moon

Did anyone catch Millie Bobby Brown in the BBC America show Intruders (2014), two years before her role in Stranger Things? She played a little girl possessed by the soul of an immortal serial killer. I loved the scene where she called the ticket agent at the train station an asshole and threatened his life. Her whole performance was pretty convincing. You could believe it was an old man speaking and not a kid.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

OMG deadman. I certainly had not heard of this one, but this sounds definitely worth a try. Thanks for the heads up about this one. You enjoy the entire series?
Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Grenouilles (1983) short [France]

FAIR WARNING: Eva Ionesco's character here is definitely an adult, both a researcher and a spy. There are NO CHILDREN in this. I am moving it to Verified Off-Topic.

More importantly, it was a HUGE disappointment for me when I realized that the "frog women" were ... women who studied or coveted frogs. I was imagining half-human/half-frog creatures like in some sci-fi horror exploitation flick. Total bummer!

I still found it interesting, and weird, just not nearly as weird as I had hoped. Maybe there is actually a full 80-minute version where the coveted "sacred frogs" have magic powers that turn the women into half-frogs?

And there IS a gorilla in this short ...

Pillowbaker is correct that the English DVD subtitles in his (25fps 35:07) version only show irregularly. They are also purple and black! The fichier version (25fps 35:07) that kast1j gave us has no subtitles.

English external text subtitles, synced to both Pillowbaker's and kast1j's files:
Grenouilles (1983).en.srt
|
Triela's version (24fps 36:35) has white English and Spanish DVD subtitles. There is a "French" subtitle track, but it is only a single blank line. (I began the OCR to see it.)

English external text subtitles, synced to Triela's version:
!EI06 Grenouilles {Eva Ionesco 18 1 10 rel} (1983).en.srt
|
All versions appear to be sourced from videotape.
vlcsnap-2024-01-22-00h55m06s758.png
vlcsnap-2024-01-22-00h59m14s827.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.