[REL] Hotaru no hoshi (2003)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Hotaru no hoshi (2003)

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Does anyone here remember the history of - shall we say - "eccentric" DVD menus? Requiring lots of searching and clicking to find what you want, with multiply-nested options? Each page was animated, and sometimes it required you to get through the 30-second animation before you could select the subtitle you want? And EASTER EGGS could be found if you were lucky, to reward you for your work?!? And how certain studios (*cough* *cough* SONY *cough*) continued the most annoying aspects of hours-long menu navigation into the Blu-ray and the 4K era?

Don't worry, pillowbaker. I have suffered enough getting through certain ENGLISH menus that my nerves are numbed. A Japanese menu that is straight-forward like this one is EASY to manage! There are only so many possibilities to click and see what happens. It is VERY considerate of you to spell out the options! Not everyone has been beaten into resignation like I have.

Odd that I loaded the 7.61Gb file in JDownloader2 before I went to sleep and it was finished when I woke up -- WITHOUT hitting a 5Gb quota? Maybe I lucked out and my VPN briefly disconnected and then reconnected with a different Server, getting past the quota. Hmmm.

I experimented with taking screenshots during playback and I ALSO got images with different aspect ratios! I think it is some unexplained feature of VLC ISO screenshots. Try taking screenshots of an MKV or MP4 and see if it stays a consistent ratio for you.

EDIT: WOW, cool stuff!!! I checked out the extras, and it is a shame I can't read Japanese. I liked the dual interview with Yukiyoshi Ozawa (who played the teacher) and Risako Sugaya (the "lead" student).
Her character was melancholy and serious in the movie, and sometimes angry:
01.png
But in the interview he was joking around and she was laughing and so kawaii
02.png
03.png
04.png
05.png
06.png
Note: the consistent aspect ratio interview screenshots were taken from the MKVs I made from the ISO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:26 am
Rhisis66 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:11 am wow! can you put a screenshot of the main menu? :lol:

Sure, done. I put the screenshots in my previous two posts.
im a big fan of the dvd main menus, they show a concept of the film on the art, thank you Pillowbaker
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   13 likes

I've always liked animated DVD menus and browsing through the often hollow bonus features.

I've added emule links to my previous post, the one that has the mega link. If you got it from there and can help source over emule, that'd be cool.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [7.61 Gb]
Like this post to see ed2k links  [8.2 Kb]
Rhisis66

well i have the rip but now im curious :lol:
[Image]
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:14 am I've always liked animated DVD menus and browsing through the often hollow bonus features.
I DO like checking out bonus features, although I only watch them once. My main gripe is when I decide to watch the movie again: sitting through the DVD menu is no longer entertaining and I just want to get on with the show! If the disc is encoded so that Play is the first thing loaded rather than trailers or film footage, I am fine. I can not complain about downloaded DVDs, because I quickly survey the contents and then copy to MKV.

I already had your MEGA downloads in my eMule shared folder so it was just sitting there waiting for your RELease. :D
Rhisis66

pillowbaker wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:14 am I've always liked animated DVD menus and browsing through the often hollow bonus features.

I've added emule links to my previous post, the one that has the mega link. If you got it from there and can help source over emule, that'd be cool.

Fireflies- River of Light AKA Hotaru no hoshi (2003) R2J NTSC DVD9.iso
Fireflies- River of Light AKA Hotaru no hoshi (2003) R2J NTSC DVD9.mds
thank you for sharing. ;) and tank you all who were sharing it on emule.

[Image]
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   19 likes

Night457
Global Moderator

Woohoo! Thank you!

I am also excited that I actually watched an FLM Release before it got a resolution upgrade, rather than collect an unwatched succession of versions over months like I normally do.
Night457
Global Moderator

Night457 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 pm English subtitles, edited:
Fireflies.River.of.Light.2003.JAP.DVDRip.x264.AC3-ADiOS.en.srt
|
388p, Japanese, with external English subtitles:
Fireflies.River.of.Light.2003.JAP.DVDRip.x264.AC3-ADiOS.mkv
Fireflies.River.of.Light.2003.JAP.DVDRip.x264.AC3-ADiOS.en.srt
NOTE to whoever Requested my subtitle because they could not eMule it:

For some reason the ed2k link posted was different from what I was sharing! I reshared the correct subtitle file and corrected the ed2k link in the post. If you have to eMule it, try the new ed2k link in the post quoted above. The direct-download link in the post is still available.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

Oh I forgot to say thank you for the upscale, ghost.

I love sharing full DVDs with you guys here. ;)