[REL] Ask Me About My Shirt (2013) [Canada]

Short films and movies available on-line at Vimeo, YouTube and similar sites can be posted here once they have an ed2k link.
pillowbaker

[REL] Ask Me About My Shirt (2013) [Canada]

Post by pillowbaker »   33 likes

Ask Me About My Shirt - 2016 - Young Actors Project (YAP)

No imdb.
Here's the YAP main website.
Here's their youtube channel, which is also their outlet for all their projects. Not to be confused with the theater group "YAP".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I found a new short that I really enjoyed. I just had to share it here! I found it while browsing recommended shorts in my youtube feed. Most of the time, you're suggested lukewarm material that moderately fits in the realm your your interests. But occasionally a recommendation shrikes a chord. :cool1

Note:
This short is obviously from an amateur effort from the beginnings of the Canadian-based "Young Actors Project" studio. Thus, there are some audio mixing issues and volume level issues. I had a grandiose idea to fix it, but I settled on staying up late making homebrew subs.

Plot:
It's about Laura and her friend Abby who tries to teach her how to talk to her peers and make friends. They get into all sorts of hilarious scenarios when nothing goes to to plan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The dialogue and scenes are hilarious, creative, and the young actresses perform quite well considering everyone is an amateur and it is a low production short. Lots of girls in this one.

My favorite is the delightful Apolline de Schaetzen! (name is misspelled in the credits) She gets two :heart :heart

[Image]

Apolline is seriously one of the most expressive young actresses I've seen in a film. And she was certainly given unrestricted freedom to express! Every couple of lines, she has a new look! Her opening scene still makes me chuckle! Of course, the other actresses are pretty good as well.

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]
↑↑ Laine Taylor, the other main actress, would later go on to star in some big hits for the YAP studio.

emule - audio improved by ghost :D

Like this post to see ed2k links  [247.59 Mb]

Like this post to see ed2k links  [28.9 Kb]

YouTube link.

Stream right here:
Spoiler:

Note to anyone familiar with light audio editing:
Spoiler:

I am interested in fixing some of the audio issues here. The dialogue volume is too low in some areas, especially when actresses are outside or more than a few feet away from the camera. Also, some dialogue is too far on the right channel. If you turn up the volume to compensate, you'll be greeted with loud music volume! :shock:
I've had XMediaRecode recommended. Is this still a good option to normalize the volume? I would also like to rebalance audio in the right and left channels for a few scenes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pillowbaker on Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ghost
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Ask Me About My Shirt (2013) [Canada]

Post by ghost »   1 likes

Thanks for this short, pilowbaker! Especially for your subtites.

Answer: Note to anyone familiar with light audio editing:
Spoiler:

The sound was recorded directly with the microphone of the camera, and therefore it's sometimes hard to understand. You can't fix the low volume parts with "normalizing". It changes the gain of the entire audio track. You'd really would have to change the volume only of some parts with an audio editing software (like Audacity).
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

ltp.jpg
Laine was so incredibly gauche I almost threw up laughing!

The sheer fearless brazenness of her BFF was very refreshing.
Spoiler:

A: I say stupid things all the time.
L: Yeah, but you can get away with it.
A: You know why? Because I don't care.
And this...
I am so good at keeping secrets.
Uh-huh, sure honey.

Thank you VERY much for the subtitles! You are right about the sound levels, and I appreciated being able to follow the dialog without having to blast my ears out with the music. That is a problem I have with much of modern TV and movies, where the dialog is deliberately buried in the mix. So I am used to using subtitles to manage.

I am pretty sure the dear departed hamster's name was NIBBLES. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:29 am Laine was so incredibly gauche I almost threw up laughing!

The sheer fearless brazenness of her BFF was very refreshing.
Spoiler:

A: I say stupid things all the time.
L: Yeah, but you can get away with it.
A: You know why? Because I don't care.

Omg I know! One of my favorite parts was when they were practicing at the sleepover and she kept using awkward intonations.
Spoiler:

A: "Where did you get that shirt?"
L: Where did you get that shirt?
A: Not like a serial killer. You want these kids to like you.

I am pretty sure the dear departed hamster's name was NIBBLES. ;)
:-o :shock: :oops: :oops:

AHHH! How embarrassing! I swear I looked these over! Would you believe me if I said this was whisper? :lol: I just capitalized the N and went on correcting!

I also made another mistake at the sleepover scene. "What do you think of this shirt and..." is supposed to be "What do you think of this skirt and..."

I've made a few more corrections and reshared the subs, if anyone wants.

ghost, thanks for the clarification about audio gain. I got audacity and I've started watching some videos about how to use some of its features.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:35 am Would you believe me if I said this was whisper?
I assumed and HOPED that!

At least shirts and skirts are closer than nibbles and ... ah, never mind.
jezevex

Post by jezevex »   2 likes

Pardon me, but am I the only one who read the title for the first time as "Ask Me About My Sh*t"? :D
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

:D Now I wish I HAD!

That's the kind of message I would have liked to share in school ...
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:01 am That's the kind of message I would have liked to share in school ...
Bwahahah! :lol:

J: Anyone gonna ask about this sh*t?
P: Oh, that's just Night crop dusting the hallways again.

If anyone enjoyed it well enough, you may want to check out some of the other YAP short films and series. Most appear to be written and directed by the same guy from the very beginning, and many of them maintain a young cast, though his more recent films and shows have more "college age" cast. If you scroll down past any video from around 5 years ago or older, there are more frequently younger cast members.

I've been having a lot of fun watching some of these. Many of these are FLM worthy, but I'm not sure about going through and making a REL for each one. Some of my favorites have been:

Locker Combo
Thirteen

A few years into its creation, the studio appears to have begun focusing on series instead of shorts. I did enjoy the poignant shorts a little more, but the series seems to have gotten a bigger reaction from their fan-base.

I admit, I did enjoy the Cheerleaders in Chess Club series. A co-captain of the school chess club blackmails the head cheerleader into joining the chess club, a group which has some hilariously derpy characters.
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   0 likes

ghost wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:48 pm Thanks for this short, pilowbaker! Especially for your subtites.

Answer: Note to anyone familiar with light audio editing:
Spoiler:

The sound was recorded directly with the microphone of the camera, and therefore it's sometimes hard to understand. You can't fix the low volume parts with "normalizing". It changes the gain of the entire audio track. You'd really would have to change the volume only of some parts with an audio editing software (like Audacity).
well.. you could use this tool https://studio.moises.ai/ to separate voices and music, that could be more easy to normalize it, but, have a little problem, yo can only process and save 4.59 min for free :lol: ( if you manage to cut the audio in a few pieces whit less than 5 min you get it)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

you could use this tool https://studio.moises.ai/ to separate voices and music
Yes, that would be a way to fix it. I use Ultimate Vocal Remover. It gives you the best quality and it's for free.
https://ultimatevocalremover.com/