[REL] Trollsyn (1994)

jezevex

Re: [REL] Trollsyn (1994)

Post by jezevex »   0 likes

Yes, I see the subtitles in VLC Media Player but not in Windows Media Player. Never mind, at least they are in. But if it will be possible to extract them for further translation, I don't know.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   2 likes

The subtitles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liten_alv

Post by liten_alv »   0 likes

The subtitles
You, sir, are a god.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

You, sir, are a god.
No, I'm not. ;) I just used SubtitleEdit and OCR'ed the DVD-subtitles.

Much more work will be a proper translation.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

WOW!! Thank you, jezevex!

I was already excited looking forward to a proper DVD to take the place of those grimy colorless VHSrips that I have from many sources.

And even MORE excited when ghost hinted and then promised to upscale it.

Then ecstatic when I was told the Czech DVD also had the original Norwegian audio!!! No remuxing required! My old files are junk!

And then finally SUBTITLES too, without having to get AI to listen to it!! And ghost already converted them from DVDsubs to an SRT. Thank you ghost! SubtitleEdit is pretty good, but I would not want to have to make too many corrections if it has problems OCRing a language with all those accented vowels AND consonants. My keyboard is wrong for that. The subtitle file is "only" 307 lines, but that is way more dialog than I remembered.

Maybe with my next viewing I will figure out what this has to do with trolls.
liten_alv

Post by liten_alv »   0 likes

There are no trolls that I'm aware of, at least in the sense we think of them. "Troll" can mean something more like "magic" or "mystik". A trollmann is a wizard.

Well, Google Translate did a less than stellar job going to English, and I found a couple of spots that didn't match what I was sure I heard. It's funny how some kind of hint about what the dialogue is "supposed" to say helps hear what they're actually saying, and I suspect even a bad translation could do the job. I've wanted English subtitles for this for a long time and it looks like they might be close. Sounds fun. Good language practice.

I'm astonished this was never released on DVD in Norway. If we had Norwegian subs not only would it be a slam dunk, but Google wold probably pull it off OK.
Night457
Global Moderator

liten_alv wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:37 am"Troll" can mean something more like "magic" or "mystik". A trollmann is a wizard.
Aha! Now it makes sense. If I had not already seen it, I would expect REAL Scandinavian monsters like the trolls in the Norwegian film Troll Hunter AKA Trolljegeren (2010)
I suspect even a bad translation could do the job.
That has always been my theory. A pro translation from Norwegian to Czech, then a machine translation to English is another step removed, but it at least gives a good idea of about what they were saying.
If we had Norwegian subs not only would it be a slam dunk
Translations from two different languages with one being the original are an excellent basis for comparison. Comparing different translators on the the same text is even better.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   41 likes

FInally, here's this epic movie in Full HD: :icon_1dancingban

Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.80 Gb]

Oh my goodness! Czech is really a difficult language! :shock: I made my first transation with ChatGPT, DeepL helped me in parts, where I still needed some alternative translations. I also used whipser with the Norwegian audio but it gave me nonsense most of the time.

Anyway, here are my English subtitles. The timings are not always in snyc, 'cause the Czech audio differs in some spoken parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

ghost wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:31 pmI also used whipser with the Norwegian audio but it gave me nonsense most of the time.
On Norwegian:
Spoiler:

There are two kinds of Norwegian: Bokmål ('Book Language') is derived from Danish and and used by about 90% of the population, and Nynorsk ('New Norwegian') is derived from Norwegian dialects and used by about 10%, mainly in Western Norway. Jezevex's DVD says that the Norwegian they are speaking is Nynorsk. I will take a wild guess that computer-aided translation is based on the majority Bokmål, and maybe that is why it gave you nonsense from the Nynorsk.

Or everyone is just mumbling too much.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your upscale and your translation!!!!!
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

I thought Bokmål and Nynorsk was just different spelling :roll: