[REL] Trollsyn (1994)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Trollsyn (1994)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

I only know what I read online, as it all sounds Norwegian to me!
Spoiler:

• Vocabulary: Bokmål has a large vocabulary of loanwords from Danish and other languages, while Nynorsk also uses a lot of the same words, it also has many words that are derived from Norwegian dialects. For example, the word “difference” is “forskjell” in Bokmål, but “skilnad” in Nynorsk, the word “disappointed” is “skuffet” in Bokmål, but “vonbroten” in Nynorsk, just to mention a couple.
  • Grammar: The most important difference between Bokmål and Nynorsk lies in the grammar, in the form and inflection that the words have. Bokmål follows the grammar rules of written Danish, while Nynorsk has its own unique grammar rules based on Norwegian dialects. For instance, Bokmål uses the suffix -en to mark definite singular nouns, whereas Nynorsk uses -a, as in the words “boken” (book) and “boka”.
  • Formality: Bokmål is often seen as more formal and traditional, while Nynorsk is often seen as more creative and expressive.
Fortunately, Bokmål and Nynorsk are mutually intelligible. Norwegian readers who are fluent in one form can understand the other.

Of the thousands of Norwegian translation projects SimulTrans has completed over the past five years, only 1.2% have targeted Nynorsk, with the rest using Bokmål. This statistic correlates to the relative use of the variants—Bokmål makes up more than 90% of all written Norwegian.
https://www.simultrans.com/blog/norwegi ... r-nynorsk#

Even though the emphasis is on the writing (just as you say), a different vocabulary and grammar will certainly make it SOUND different. Compare the speech of a (supposedly) sophisticated urbanite with a (so-called) crude rustic. I can readily understand the accents and grammar of the different regions of my country, which might present a challenge to someone who only knows English as a second language, or to a computer -- unless they have some training in the dialect.

In my various attempts to translate Astrid Lindgren movies, the machine translators could handle "The King's Swedish" well enough. Whenever she had her characters speaking in a rural dialect with colloquialisms and old-fashioned expressions, the translation failed. Machine translation is just another form of snobbery, as it generally only accepts the "standard" form of a language.
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

Damn... Why don't they just speak English :wall
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

I don't know if they speak Bokmål oder Nynorsk or whatever in this movie. I only can type "Norwegian" or "no" in Whsiper. It did an translation in perfect English but the results were so different fro the Czech subs and didn't make sense in many parts.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

If the only Norwegian option is Norwegian, then it is Bokmål as spoken by 90% of the population ... just as I thought. How much different Nynorsk SOUNDS and how much different the vocabulary is for an outsider I do not know, I would have to ask someone I know who is studying the language. This just further cements my expectation that a generally rural dialect in any language is filled with "colorful expressions" that do not give the intended meaning with a literal translation.

I sat down in the living room last night and looked through your end-result video, ghost, and it looks fantastic! I wanted to watch it but knew I did not have the time or the eyelid-propping power and it was bedtime for me. Maybe soon.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

BTW: I remembered, that there is a short film from 1967 which is very similar to Trollsyn:
Vokse opp - Sagnet om Rypa i Justedalen (1967)
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

Subgenre Medieval - Black Plague? Wonder how many movies are in that one?

Thank you!
endurro

Post by endurro »   7 likes

ghost wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:31 pm FInally, here's this epic movie in Full HD: :icon_1dancingban

Trollsyn (1994).1080p.AI-upscale.mkv

Oh my goodness! Czech is really a difficult language! :shock: I made my first transation with ChatGPT, DeepL helped me in parts, where I still needed some alternative translations. I also used whipser with the Norwegian audio but it gave me nonsense most of the time.

Anyway, here are my English subtitles. The timings are not always in snyc, 'cause the Czech audio differs in some spoken parts.
Not so difficult this Czech (joke). :)
I extracted the Czech subtitles from the DVD.
They have a slightly different synchronicity than the Czech subtitles published here earlier.
I don't know where these differences come from.
I extracted the subtitles from this DVD with two different programs. And each time there was a different synchronisation.
They seem to be well synchronised with the Norwegian audio version you provided.

Maybe they can be helpful for you to prepare synchro to English subtitles.
Like this post to see ed2k links  [21.0 Kb]

P.S.
A joke is a joke, but having those Czech subtitles and the Czech audio track I watched the film quite well. Maybe I won't even translate these subtitles into my language. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.