Monsters and supernatural characters in FLM movies

Child movie related or un-related discussion can go here i.e. movies, images, links, tv, music etc. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions.
vos

Monsters and supernatural characters in FLM movies

Post by vos »   1 likes

[MOD NOTE, branched off from this thread: https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... p?p=111656]

Nice, I love OT movies with monsters and all kind of supernatural characters, thank you for sharing

Maybe we could create a dedicated topic for this kind of movies? I'm still discovering new ones, like that one!
pillowbaker

Re: Monsters and supernatural characters in FLM movies

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

vos wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am Nice, I love OT movies with monsters and all kind of supernatural characters, thank you for sharing

Maybe we could create a dedicated topic for this kind of movies? I'm still discovering new ones, like that one!
If you feel there are enough movies in this little niche to bring on a dedicated topic, please share some titles! I would love to hear about OT movies with monsters. Little Monsters with Fred Savage and Howie Mandel was certainly pretty cool.
vos

Post by vos »   2 likes

pillowbaker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am
vos wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 am Nice, I love OT movies with monsters and all kind of supernatural characters, thank you for sharing

If you feel there are enough movies in this little niche to bring on a dedicated topic, please share some titles! I would love to hear about OT movies with monsters. Little Monsters with Fred Savage and Howie Mandel was certainly pretty cool.

Of course! Here's a modest selection of OT movies that deals with monsters and supernatural characters:

Neco z Alenky (Alice) (1988)
Cat's Eye (1985)
Return To Oz (1985)
Never-ending Story I & II
It (1990)
Pan's Labyrinth
A Pin for the Butterfly (1994)

Vintage monster OT movies like "The Monster's Christmas" have something different than nowadays' ones. I don't know how to explain it, they have something more. I love how it feels. This is why I didn't put the Harry Potter movies in my short list, I don't get the same "vibe" from it, so to speak.

What do you think about it guys?
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   0 likes

I think I know what you mean. First, a lot of the magic that they seem to lack I feel comes from the use of CG over practical costuming, environment, effects, and practical, non-CG "creatures". I actually really enjoyed the monster costumes from The Monster's Christmas, they were fun and endearing. I wonder sometimes if there's something in the "lo-fi", old, grainy film that these older movies have. That overly clean effect I see in modern movies is fine, but it does distract me, or rather, it takes me out of it a bit.

Those looks like great choices, by the way. How could I forget about Return to Oz, I was just thinking about that movie the other day. I LOVED that one. I still remember the first time I saw it.

If you want to discuss these types of movies, I do suggest creating a thread in the general forum. It might get a few posts, or might not. It might be a good idea to focus further discussion on them there. I am very curious to see any others that you can list. If you make the thread, I will dig around and try to find a few more suggestions (like Labyrinth :P).
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   3 likes

I really should not have a problem with computer animated movies, or parts of movies, but I know that I do. I am just always aware that they are ANIMATED. They are cartoons, and I can not suspend my disbelief and think they are real like the people around them. But with cheap costumes and foam-rubber puppets, somehow I can. Or if a squad of underpaid artists have painstakingly drawn everything frame by frame, then I am also drawn into the created world. Or if the traditional cartoons are mixed with live action like Roger Rabbit, I still accept it. But if a squad of underpaid artists have painstakingly clicked away on computer keyboards, then for some reason I am repelled. My eyesight is bad and the real world looks drab, so glossy shiny effects in a 60fps environment screams FAKE to me. But I am an old grump and I don't think such movies are intended for me in the first place. CGI is not the only reason I find myself instead watching a lot of 1970s movies lately.

My contributions to this thread:
Troll (1986)
On FLM: https://www.first-loves.com/forums/view ... f=7&t=3338
Torrent: https://yts.mx/movies/troll-1986

Troll 2 (1990)
Boy movie, on TNT: https://the.nextthing.club/showthread.php?tid=30871
Torrent: https://yts.mx/movies/troll-2-1990
Sully23

Post by Sully23 »   3 likes

vos

Post by vos »   0 likes

Thank you Night457 for creating this post!
pillowbaker wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am I think I know what you mean. First, a lot of the magic that they seem to lack I feel comes from the use of CG over practical costuming, environment, effects, and practical, non-CG "creatures". I actually really enjoyed the monster costumes from The Monster's Christmas, they were fun and endearing. I wonder sometimes if there's something in the "lo-fi", old, grainy film that these older movies have. That overly clean effect I see in modern movies is fine, but it does distract me, or rather, it takes me out of it a bit.
Exactly, practical effects are indeed a major part of this vintage movies' charm!

Also, I feel these movies have a kind of darker vibe that contrast really nicely with childhood innocence.

Which leads me to another legendary reference from this genre:
Poltergeist 1, 2 and 3 !
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084516/

How could we have forgotten this franchise? ;)
Rhisis66

Post by Rhisis66 »   1 likes

Cat's Eye

Oh i foud it was already mentioned :lol:
Spoiler:

vos wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:42 am
pillowbaker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

Of course! Here's a modest selection of OT movies that deals with monsters and supernatural characters:

Neco z Alenky (Alice) (1988)
Cat's Eye (1985)
Return To Oz (1985)
Never-ending Story I & II
It (1990)
Pan's Labyrinth
A Pin for the Butterfly (1994)

Vintage monster OT movies like "The Monster's Christmas" have something different than nowadays' ones. I don't know how to explain it, they have something more. I love how it feels. This is why I didn't put the Harry Potter movies in my short list, I don't get the same "vibe" from it, so to speak.

What do you think about it guys?
[Image]
Between my favotite movies on my stephen king adaptation movies colection :lol:
there tell a few stories whit the same peculiar character (a cat) on the first and last one we can see that little drew barrimore
[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

[Image]
marvingray

Post by marvingray »   1 likes

Annabelle Creation 2017 (demonic possession of a young girl, evil doll, various other monsters and ghosts)
Ouija: Origin of Evil 2016 (demonic possession of a young girl, creepy looking demon briefly shown)
Conjuring 2 2016 (demonic possession of a young girl, a crooked man creature done with terrible cgi, nun that looks like mariyln manson)
Don't be Afraid of the Dark 2010 (Little gremlin creatures)
I Kill Giants 2017 (giants, sort of)
Kukolnik 2022 (doll people? I think?)
M3gan 2023 (Killer doll, played by 11 yo Amie Donald in some scenes, including the infamous dance)
Evil Dead Rise 2023 (Deadites(demons))
The Host 2006 (I think it was a kaiju fish creature?)
'The Monster' 2016 (from The Strangers director, pretty good movie imo but I don't know how to describe the monster, it's a bit like a werewolf)
Hatching / Pahanhautoja 2022 (bird doppelganger creature seems to be done with mostly practical fx)

Oh, and one of the most famous examples: Aliens, 1986