[REL] Nie bede cie kochac (1974)

endurro

Re: [REL] Nie bede cie kochac (1974)

Post by endurro »   1 likes

When it comes to translating English or a similar language into Polish, AI always has one problem. In English, a sentence spoken by a woman or a man often sounds the same. In Polish, there are differences depending on whether the sentence is spoken by a woman or a man. Translators usually translate into Polish the same as if the sentence had been spoken by a man.
When I translate a text, I always have to check the gender of the person who made the statement.
There is no problem if the English sentence contains a gender expression such as "he" or "she". It is worse when it is said in the first or second person, i.e. "I", "you".

Example:
English: I did it.

In Polish, depending on the gender of the person who said the sentence:

female: "Ja to zrobiłam" or "Zrobiłam to"
male: "Ja to zrobiłem" or "Zrobiłem to"

I don't have such a problem when I translate from Slavic languages: Russian, Czech or Serbian.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

You are absolutely right, DreamScape. Computer translation WILL get better as long as it keeps getting input on human language from humans. That makes it much easier on the humans because they only have to teach the computer a lesson once, and then it remembers. Just try being an elementary school teacher trying to teach grammar to uninterested students. Even if they master something once (or pretend to), they will continue to get it wrong the rest of their lives. Also, even Google translation does a decent job of creating a proper sentence out of a partial source, although I am sure not as well as ChatGPT.

Machines can even learn the meaning of colloquialisms, if humans take the time to teach them in the first place. I understand why proper use of terminology and grammar would get the priority!

Incidentally, I learned in elementary school that people could easily speak or write with proper grammar and well-constructed sentences, yet what they were saying was absolute nonsense. I do not think I am so readily impressed by the mere outward appearance of intelligence, so I was well prepared for the limitations of ChatGPT. There is a somewhat hysterical attack on it by some journalists with nothing better to write about. (Perhaps because it threatens their jobs, since it is likely the computers will be used to produce the necessary meaningless drivel instead. Or do we already have Chat software producing the journalism that is Raging Against the Machines? Bots talking about bots?) The problem, as usual, is the flawed humans, some of whom are foolish enough to trust anything a computer tells them.

Trust no one, certainly not the HAL 9000.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

For those interested in English subs for this film, I am happy to take on the project, much thanks for endurro's existing work. endurro has agreed to assist with colloquialisms.

Please allow me to finish my work with Hilito, because well, I've been putting it off a bit.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   2 likes

I have begun work on making English subs for endurro's work on the Polish subs. I am about 150 lines in. It is slow going, but endurro has kindly been instructing me on cultural references and decades-old Polish slang.

By the time I'm done, I'll be ready for jest na gazie - for gassing up. :icon_beergulp
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   3 likes

I know it's been over a month since I started this project, but I wanted to make a post that I am still working on these subs with endurro. I am doing at least a little bit just about every day. We are now over halfway done. With endurro's assistance, these subs should turn out to be quite good. I can't wait to get them out there!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I am doing at least a little bit just about every day. We are now over halfway done
I know, I know... There were subtitles I was working on about 3 months. :shock:
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   5 likes

English subtitles finally complete.

Many thanks to endurro, who created the first set of subtitles in Polish by hand, and who maintained correspondence with me over the last 4 months to assist me with translating and clarifying dialogue and cultural references. I am thankful for having been able to work on a "classic". I hope to do more projects.

Subs timed to deadman's release here.

Greetings from Bożena
[Image]

[Image]

[Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nie bede cie kochac (1973).624x464.en.srt

Mega backup link.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Image] [Image] [Image]

[Image] [Image]

Don't want to spoil anything, hope you have time to watch. I'll make write-up later in another post. :D

[Image]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you pillowbaker and endurro for your LONG collaboration!
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

English subtitles finally complete.
Oh thank you, pillowbaker!
endurro

Post by endurro »   0 likes

There should be a note: "English subtitles by pillowbaker". :)

I watched the whole movie with pilowbaker's subtitles and as far as I know English I watched it well. Very good job.
Only sometimes a little too fast for me those subtitles disappeared. But with Polish subtitles in this film is similar, sometimes it is difficult to keep up with them.
Last edited by endurro on Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.