eMule Set-up Guide

Post any eMule-related questions and FAQ's here.
Rich

eMule Set-up Guide

Post by Rich »   3 likes

If your struggling getting normal emule to work for you, you could always try this:

System Set-up

First get a good firewall that will allow emule to work, I would recommend Sygate Personal Firewall, or ZoneAlarm.

Then Disable Windows Firewall

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right click on Connection -> Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Settings -> Off

eMule Set-Up

First find out what your download and upload speeds are in kB/s, write them down

Then get this easy to use emule client (using emule)

Like this post to see ed2k links  [4.30 Mb]

It has loads of cool options such as multiple friend slots!!

Load it up and go to Options tab, type in your connection speeds that you wrote down earlier. Set your limits at how much bandwidth (speed) you want emule to use.

Set Hard Limit to 2500, and Max Connections to 1500.

[Image]

[Image]

Then in options go to LSD-Uploads

First type in a Community name FLM, this will give members here priority.

Then change Upload slots to Min Slots 1, Max Slots 3 --- That means only 3 people can upload from you, if you make them friends (see later) then the speed they get will be higher.

[Image]

Press OK

Sharing a File

When you are sharing a file, people will join your emule queue trying to get it, you need to find them.

Click on the Transfers Tab

[Image]

Hit Uploads until you reach, On queue, then click File, so it shows people on queue in order of what file they want.

[Image]

[Image]

Then scroll down untill you find people requesting the file you want to share. Right click on their name and select "add to friends", right click on them again and click "establish friend slot", do this for two other people also. So in time those three people will be using all your upload slots.

And that's it, after a while it will become clear, hope that helps :)

Please feel free to ask questions ;)
ghost
Site Admin

Re: eMule Set-up Guide

Post by ghost »   0 likes

your LSD Mod is much too old Rich...
Who told you this? Sorry, but that's nonsense.
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

ghost wrote:your LSD Mod is much too old Rich...
Who told you this? Sorry, but that's nonsense.
works for me ;)
billanben

Post by billanben »   0 likes

I Hope this advice does not exclusivize you as one of the desirable things with p2p is anonymity through numbers. Just a thought
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

billanben wrote:I Hope this advice does not exclusivize you as one of the desirable things with p2p is anonymity through numbers. Just a thought
depends on the client, for example the client "Zambor" that is spamming emule clients at the moment is likely LEA software :angry: personally i would never use the client at the emule homepage for any length of time even if 1000's of people use it, first it is shit, second not sure of its security. at least with a recognised custom client (LSD, Snake, pawico, sivka) programmers have been over all the program and would surely have spotted anything suspect :bigups:
Rich

Post by Rich »   0 likes

note though, when you do emule search using omicron, you will have to specify the type of file else server says client is too old and doesnt allow search :icon_1idiot
ghost
Site Admin

sure, v0.45b is very out of date ;)

(Maybe this is the reason why we can't come together in the eDonkey net :( )
emuler

Post by emuler »   1 likes

Rich wrote:personally i would never use the client at the emule homepage for any length of time even if 1000's of people use it, first it is shit, second not sure of its security. at least with a recognised custom client (LSD, Snake, pawico, sivka) programmers have been over all the program and would surely have spotted anything suspect :bigups:
Not sure I agree with you there, Rich. The more people that are using a client, the less likely it is there is something undesirable hidden in it, as more people are scrutinizing the source code.

If you don't know how to read C++ source code (not many people do) then you have to take the word of the programmers, and of people who do know how to read C++ code.

As a member of the eMule Plus development team, I can personally vouch for the integrity and security of our client ( http://emuleplus.info ).
Our developers keep a close eye on the source code of the original eMule ( http://emule-project.net ), so you can trust that one too. The koizo MOD is closely based on eMule Plus and can be trusted, but it has certain modifications that have been specially made for users in Portugal, so it is not for everyone.

As for the other MODs, you have to decide for yourself whether or not the development team of that particular MOD is trustworthy. Most are, but there are a few bad eggs in the mix that give everyone a bad name.

So go with any open source client - make sure it is genuinely open source, not like e++ (not to be confused with eMule Plus), which provides old source code which does not match the behaviour of the client itself.

Remember to be sure to download the client from the website/homepage of the client of your choice. Do NOT get them from anywhere else as they might have been tampered with. Take a look at the changelog posted on the site from time to time; when a new version comes out, see if it has critical changes - if it has, you must upgrade; if it doesn't, then it is your choice.

And please stay away from the 'so called' eMule speed boosters; they don't work, not for very long, at any rate, as the other clients start noticing that you are not uploading as much as you should and start penalizing you for it. ed2k is slow - it does not say eStallion or eCheetah, just eDonkey and eMule - so be patient. If you want to favour a particular file, set it to release priority - you'll upload more, earn more credits, and eventually end up downloading faster.

As for system tips, if you are using Windows XP SP2, please patch tcpip.sys in order to increase the limit on the number of concurrent half-open connections from the default 10 to at least 50, 100 being better. You can use the patcher at http://www.lvllord.de, or install XP-AntiSpy and use the same patcher put there under the special menu.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

Right or wrong, thanks for the effort Rich :thumbsup
ghost
Site Admin

exellent post emuler;)

Most people never heard about patching the half-open connections i guess...

I patched them to 200.000 (sounds silly, but is recommanded in some emule forums).