[REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979)

Night457
Global Moderator

Re: [REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979)

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

David32441 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:20 pm Annoyingly the Mega Link says it's too big to download in my browser
Suggestion: do not use Firefox to try to download large Mega links. Use Chrome instead, it does not have the size limitation. It works for me and I have not downloaded the app either.

(Yes, I know that Google removed "Don't be evil" from its code of conduct several years ago. But I am not the moralest person myself so I don't mind using their evil products when they are useful. :mrgreen: )

Better suggestion: Download and use JDownloader 2, which works with many streaming and direct download sites. It is not bothered by large files either, and can easily resume them if the connection is temporarily lost. I have even resumed files after closing and restarting JDownloader. It will continue downloading if the source link is still active.

I know it works on Windows and it supposedly also works with Linux and Mac.

https://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2
And zippyshare links just totally refused to open - got a 403 Forbidden, and that's using a VPN.
Suggestion: I can open at least one of the links in Chrome, also using a VPN, currently on a Canada server. Maybe you need to switch to a different country server on your VPN. Some countries BLOCK zippyshare, the dirty rats. Among the reported blocking countries are U.K., Germany, and Spain.

Better suggestion: Download and use JDownloader 2, although admittedly I do not know what effect the country blocking would have within Jdownloader -- it may very well still apply.

JDownloader 2 is what I am using to get the zippyshare files. It is downloading 3 of the parts simultaneously and automatically moves on to the next ones in line as each finishes. I have it set to automatically extract all the parts when they complete. If RARs or ZIPs require a password, there is a place to put that also when you start downloading -- so it will not have to prompt you for the password later.

Of course as with Google I have already admitted that I don't mind using evil means, so maybe I am just the devil tempting you to walk a path of sin and you should run run run away from any suggestion I make. :twisted:

P.S.: THANK YOU DEADMAN!!!
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Thanks for the tips! You're always helpful on this! Added JDownloader 2 and will try some of the options. Yeah, was on one of those with the VPN so that probably explains zippy's problems too.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   1 likes

It is amazing all the useful stuff I have learned from others at FLM! I just have to pay it forward.
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

David32441 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:08 pm Thanks for the tips! You're always helpful on this! Added JDownloader 2 and will try some of the options. Yeah, was on one of those with the VPN so that probably explains zippy's problems too.

I was about to respond to your initial post but every suggestion I was going to make has already been made.

In general, before I install any program on my system I do some searching on issues related to it. You'll get links to tech support forums and so forth. If users are complaining about slowdowns, odd behavior on their systems, or serious difficulties un-installing a piece of software, I avoid it like the plague. If I see users confused about where various options are in the menus or having trouble doing very specialized tasks (nitpick issues) and that's all there seems to be, the software should be okay to use.

I still can't get over that two day shipping from Tokyo. The blu-ray literally released on Wednesday this week, and I got it Friday. Couldn't believe it was already here!
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:25 pm I still can't get over that two day shipping from Tokyo.
:lol:

Since you got it from Amazon Japan I am guessing your shipping was DHL. It was not exactly cheap shipping a few years ago when I last ordered from there (and it is probably more expensive shipping now), but I too always found it fast and reliable. Much of the time it was faster than shipping within the U.S. just a few states away.

I can only guess that this is due in large part to frequent air travel between Japan and the U.S. If something is shipped from a country that has infrequent connecting flights, the shipper will not get it moving any faster.
pillowbaker

Post by pillowbaker »   1 likes

deadman wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:25 pm I still can't get over that two day shipping from Tokyo. The blu-ray literally released on Wednesday this week, and I got it Friday. Couldn't believe it was already here!
Yeah no kidding! That's quite the find, deadman. It may be possible that they shipped it before the official release date. I have heard that, as long as consumers don't receive BR and games before their release date, they're usually good to ship them early. Anyways I thank you very much for sharing your encode with us. It's been many years sine I've seen this one, and I remember nothing about it. It'll be interesting to so de-hazed. :mrgreen:

So it looks like I might have been convinced to give jdownloader a try as well! Thanks to everyone that posted about it with the other suggestions for downloading.
Night457
Global Moderator

pillowbaker wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:23 pmI have heard that, as long as consumers don't receive BR and games before their release date, they're usually good to ship them early.
I know of some independent online retailers that state outright they will ship as soon as they get product, whether that is early or late. If that means that some people get their movies early they are just lucky.

There is a certain boutique UK blu-ray label (who shall remain nameless) that is releasing something I am interested in at the beginning of December. One independent US retailer (also nameless) shipped their copies out over TWO MONTHS EARLY, so people took pictures of their purchase and shared them online, also saying how wonderful it was. ("Ha ha, I got mine!") Then the UK label got annoyed at the retailer. Sorry guys, if you do not want to keep pallets of product taking up storage space for two months then neither do the retailers!

Of course I am waiting for a better sale price before I order so I don't have mine yet. :( But my example are not FLM films so sorry that I have once again gone :icon_offtopic
David32441

Post by David32441 »   1 likes

Having now got it (thanks Night for the suggestions!) I think Ghost needs to run his grain removal algorithym over this! Although there's a real mix - sometimes there's lots, sometimes hardly any. You almost need 2 levels, a strong setting and a light setting and vary it selectively using some video editing software. The grain at say 19m20s is ridiculous, but 41m40s there's next to none. Glad it's 9gb otherwise the encoder would be struggling with all this grain!
Night457
Global Moderator

No no no! David Hamilton films are supposed to be gauzy fuzzy blurry smoky grainy dreamy soft focus because that is what he liked! It's artistic, man! Anyone crying about the appearance should just watch different movies! And jeez, the title of this one translates to "summer shadows" or "shadows of a summer" and not "it's a bright bright bright bright sunshiny day".

:lol: Just kidding, go ahead and do your own fanedits!

I confess I find that he went overboard at times. His choices in cinematography are ALWAYS commented upon everywhere I read about the films.

Gotta listen to some reggae now.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   0 likes

I think Ghost needs to run his grain removal algorithym over this!
No way! That's natural film grain and gives (this old movie) its special retro-look. It wouldn't be Laura anymore wthout it.

Gotta listen to some reggae now.
:icon_cool2