[REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979)

goku33

Re: [REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979)

Post by goku33 »   0 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:58 pm
Shouldn’t the BluRay player be able to play XviD AVi‘s fine? Or even divx. Or what code are your old avi‘s of that series?

I deleted a lot of avi‘s (e.g. Stargate SG1 and other tv shows) because I now could upgrade to either x264 dvdrip, full dvd ISO’s or 1080p web-dl/BluRay. But of course I will always read around beforehand if for example there are big issues with a digital/remastered version like it was the case with Buffy where the old DVD’s have the old special effects properly:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZWNGq70Oyo[/youtube]
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

goku33 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:03 pmOr what code are your old avi‘s of that series?
I checked, no surprise: g****** DX50. (AKA DivX5) I was rather annoyed that both blu-players would not play it. When I get some older files from FLM with DX50 I end up converting them rather than hooking up the DVD player. I also checked: a year ago I downloaded the upgrade of another torrent of DVDRip.x264 MKVs. Easy to play on modern equipment. The torrent probably downloaded faster and with less effort than converting 136 files would have been.
Yeah, the studios do like to "improve" things in ways that make fans choke.
goku33

Night457 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:57 pm
goku33 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:03 pmOr what code are your old avi‘s of that series?
I checked, no surprise: g****** DX50. (AKA DivX5) I was rather annoyed that both blu-players would not play it. When I get some older files from FLM with DX50 I end up converting them rather than hooking up the DVD player. I also checked: a year ago I downloaded the upgrade of another torrent of DVDRip.x264 MKVs. Easy to play on modern equipment. The torrent probably downloaded faster and with less effort than converting 136 files would have been.
Yeah, the studios do like to "improve" things in ways that make fans choke.
Haha divx and xvid…Good times. I remember converting mp4‘s to Xvid but the dvdplayer would not play them unless I added some “fourcc“ metadata that specifies the codec.(possible that in there was even a difference when it wasn’t written xvid but XVID (capital letters). Anyway I’m getting way off topic.. feel free to move our recent comments to another tech thread..

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/228 ... id-vs-XVID
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

goku33 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:53 amBlasphemy with those 1.5GB x264 1080p encodes lmao :D :D

I know, right? All that motion pixelation. And the dark scenes ... ugh! I only recommend for those who are still using dialup. :lol:

Night457 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:23 amI did not DL this torrent because I am fine with deadman's larger file, but it is an option for others. How high of a resolution is required for a blurry haze anyway? :lol:

This is the kind of movie where you especially don't want the low bitrate version, because of all the dark scenes. The part where Dawn is dancing while her mother takes pictures ... I'm sure that looks pretty bad on the 1.5 GB file.

Actually they defogged a lot of the movie. People have claimed David Hamilton smeared vaseline on the camera lens during filming but I doubt it - there's an old school darkroom technique involving a thin layer of vaseline which produces haze effects, and that's probably what he used. Someone just got the details mixed up. The important point being the original films would be clear, the haze only shows up in the final print.

A French based company, TF1 Studio, currently holds the distribution rights to Laura. Looks like their bluray was made from those originals. Part of Hamilton's technique is using strong illumination to create a slight washout effect. It's especially noticeable in dark interior rooms with bright light coming through windows. Watch for this in Hamilton's films generally. Letting the lighting conditions do part of the work means he can create the signature hazed look without losing too much detail. The bluray has the lighting part only with none of the post processing. Sure it's possible to reduce haze through digital restoration - but if you're the rightsholder, why bother? You've got the original version to work from.

I wonder how much (if any) deleted footage survives? This would be an especially fun movie to re-edit into an extended cut.

Some people think it's already controversial. Just wait till they see deadman's Outlaw Edition... :biggrin

BF1 might only have acquired the theatrical print in their deal though. Hamilton's estate may have retained everything else which is why nothing extra was included on the disc. Copyright deals and laws are complicated, even more so when you go international.

Night457 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:58 pm
One of the last ones without any „smartTV“ features.
Ohhhh, that is worth its weight in gold! When I wanted to replace the dead 4k, I was appalled that almost every TV available was a SpyTV. (Even the remote controls were listening in and reporting back what they heard.) Almost the only way to avoid that now with newer equipment is to go screen-and-projector.

My new 4K TV has the smart crap on it, but I've never entered my network ID and password. Spy tech can't report on you without a connection. So the Smart TV is rendered dumb. My bluray player also has a few streaming apps but I haven't connected that either. My streaming box (if you can call something that small a "box") is the only thing with access to the internet. And I found a cheap universal remote that will control it - while the voice remote sits in the back of a closet with no batteries.
goku33

deadman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:11 pm My new 4K TV has the smart crap on it, but I've never entered my network ID and password. Spy tech can't report on you without a connection. So the Smart TV is rendered dumb.
I am not sure how much truth there is to these rumors but I’ve heard that some smartTV‘s allegedly try to connect to any unprotected wifi networks to establish an internet connection. Basically scanning all nearby networks and trying to connect.

Best option is probably still some raspberryPi computer with Kodi/Jellyfin/Plex.
Night457
Global Moderator

Post by Night457 »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:11 pm My new 4K TV has the smart crap on it, but I've never entered my network ID and password. Spy tech can't report on you without a connection. So the Smart TV is rendered dumb.
That's the truly smart way to do it, for sure, but can your equipment live without software updates? Thinking more for the blu-ray player here, which has to continue to play content that may meet newer specs.

Or do you download updates from the computer and install them with a flash drive?

And does this mean you never watch any Internet content on your TV, like Amazon or Netflix?
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Night457 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:06 pmThat's the truly smart way to do it, for sure, but can your equipment live without software updates? Thinking more for the blu-ray player here, which has to continue to play content that may meet newer specs.

Or do you download updates from the computer and install them with a flash drive?

And does this mean you never watch any Internet content on your TV, like Amazon or Netflix?

Yeah, I download the updates and install them manually.

I don't use the apps on the TV itself. Those suck anyway. I have a Roku box which is internet connected, but I ditched the voice command remote for a basic universal one from the store. They can still keep track of what you watch on streaming but I don't really care. As long as the George Orwell telescreen bullshit is neutralized that's good enough for me.

goku33 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:34 pmI am not sure how much truth there is to these rumors but I’ve heard that some smartTV‘s allegedly try to connect to any unprotected wifi networks to establish an internet connection. Basically scanning all nearby networks and trying to connect.

Best option is probably still some raspberryPi computer with Kodi/Jellyfin/Plex.

I'm not close enough to my neighbors to get a good signal from their networks - and since the default settings on ISP provided modems are now protected, unsecure connections are hard to find even in big apartment buildings. These days you have to live next to a business that posts a WiFi password for its customers in order to skim service.
Gag

Post by Gag »   0 likes

If anyone cares about quality there is a 17gb remux available on fearnopeer
deadman

Post by deadman »   0 likes

Gag wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:32 am If anyone cares about quality there is a 17gb remux available on fearnopeer

Unfortunately fearnopeer should be called fearallpeers, because they've gone over to the usual closed registration, need an invite system. There are a handful of countries that don't enforce the DMCA and other overreaching copyright laws. All you have to do is incorporate and have your servers in one of those places - Belize for example - and no one can sue you or do shit about it.

If uloz had simply put their servers in the right location they'd still be up and running. If you're operating a share site or a filehost that's the way to go, not taking down content whenever the corporate overlords demand it, or this annoying closed registration nonsense, occasionally opening for a few days and you'd better know about it or you lose out.

Sorry about the rant. Pet peeves, you know.

If anyone wants the full BD and has Usenet access, go here and download the .nzb from my post:

https://nzbking.com/details:6351173b2df75827e62da899/
mimzy

Post by mimzy »   0 likes

deadman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:03 pm There are a handful of countries that don't enforce the DMCA and other overreaching copyright laws. All you have to do is incorporate and have your servers in one of those places - Belize for example - and no one can sue you or do shit about it.

If uloz had simply put their servers in the right location they'd still be up and running.
I believe this is not as simple as it seems. Places that don't care about DMCA have probably poor Internet connection and uloz needs a lot of bandwidth, so it would be very expensive or not possible at all. (It is easy to get a .to address, but that does not mean the server is physically in Tonga.)

If there are realistic options, I would be interested. Might be useful for FLM one day.