[REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979)

Warg

Re: [REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979) [New quality rip!]

Post by Warg »   1 likes

deadman wrote:
Warg wrote:The "haze" is Hamiltons special style. I guess even with the rights to the movie you would not be allowed to destroy a piece of art. European countries are strangely very sensitive about this ;) ...
Legally speaking if you bought the rights to the movie, you could issue a re-release, extended cut (remember you get all the original raw footage), 4K blu-ray edition, or whatever else you wanted to do with it. The old rightsholders no longer have a say in the matter.
Yes, that's true for the USA. But in Germany for example you can not alienate intellectual property at all (sole exception: inheritance) only the exploitation rights.

For France I found this: "With regard to legal succession, as in German law, one must distinguish between legal succession on the grounds of death and legal succession among the living. As in German law, the copyright is not transferable among the living." This is based on a law from 1992, I think they changed it some years before but in a more restrictive way - so there is a rest of doubt.

As to the act of "improvement" - this would display the piece of art in a way not intended by the author (or meanwhile his legal heirs) and as such surely harm his intellectual property ...
deadman

Post by deadman »   1 likes

Warg wrote:As to the act of "improvement" - this would display the piece of art in a way not intended by the author (or meanwhile his legal heirs) and as such surely harm his intellectual property ...
Aggh! International application of local laws is so messy. So at the very least, you couldn't market your de-hazed version in the EU and might face a lawsuit even if you released it only in the US.

Guess if any of us decide to buy the rights we'll just have to post the clear version here (and elsewhere on the internet) where hopefully they won't notice or bother chasing down the rogue employee - who we obviously fired - responsible for the bootleg disc. 8-)
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Re: [REL] Laura, les ombres de l'été (1979)

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   2 likes

Anyone who can't take a clean crisp image on high quality film with top-of-the-line cameras is incompetent. Anyone who smears petroleum jelly on expensive camera lenses is a criminal. Anyone who always takes blurry pictures needs glasses. I just see this as being a pretentious nose-in-the-air snob, lifting his teacup with two fingers and pinky sticking up, pooh-poohing the hoi polloi who don't "understand" his 'art'. He does the same thing in every film he makes. You'd think a friend would clue him in.
Warg

Post by Warg »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:Anyone who can't take a clean crisp image on high quality film with top-of-the-line cameras is incompetent. Anyone who smears petroleum jelly on expensive camera lenses is a criminal. Anyone who always takes blurry pictures needs glasses. I just see this as being a pretentious nose-in-the-air snob, lifting his teacup with two fingers and pinky sticking up, pooh-poohing the hoi polloi who don't "understand" his 'art'. He does the same thing in every film he makes. You'd think a friend would clue him in.
True, but it's a general description of "art" or what nowadays goes for it - and the way you make money out of it ... :P
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

deadman wrote: It would take some pretty high level processing to remove the haze. I won't say it's impossible, you can do amazing things with video these days, but simply sharpening the image isn't enough.
If you have a high end nvidia GPU, you could try something like Topaz Video Enhance AI
Phuzzy4242
Site Admin

Post by Phuzzy4242 »   1 likes

It's probably not worth the time, effort, or cost. Most of his actresses are pushing the top envelope of OT anyway, and if I recall correctly, the 'haze' is actually done on the camera itself, not in post-production, either using special lenses or smearing vaseline on them. You can't de-grease it very much with a program. ;)
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   1 likes

If you have a high end nvidia GPU, you could try something like Topaz Video Enhance AI
I doubt, if that will work, because there are no real edges to be sharpened.
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

Phuzzy4242 wrote:It's probably not worth the time, effort, or cost. Most of his actresses are pushing the top envelope of OT anyway, and if I recall correctly, the 'haze' is actually done on the camera itself, not in post-production, either using special lenses or smearing vaseline on them. You can't de-grease it very much with a program. ;)
Yes, if you ever looked through one of his books, that 'hazy' look was David Hamilton's style. He was actually famous for making it somewhat 'mainstream-artsy' in the photography world in the '70's.. :lol:

kev.
emuler

Post by emuler »   0 likes

AI based video enhancement, however, is able to do amazing things. Needs significant resources, though, and artificial intelligence is sometimes able to add detail when none is there. It needs a very good source, though - won't do much with low-res stuff, but does fairly well upscaling DVD to HD, and BluRay to 4K. On my 3 year old system it takes about 5 seconds per frame, so even playing around with a clip in order to figure out the best settings is painful.
ghost
Site Admin

Post by ghost »   102 likes

Well, I did it.

Upscaled to 720p. The quality of the source footage (original DVD) was pretty poor. Nethertheless the result is very "watchable". ;)

Make your own opinion:
[Image]

German and French audio tracks:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [2.09 Gb]

English subs:
Like this post to see ed2k links  [20.8 Kb]