[REL] What Remains (2005) Sally Mann [US]

Any documentaries about children can go here.
stargazer

[REL] What Remains (2005) Sally Mann [US]

Post by stargazer »   0 likes

I read in some artmagazine (I think it was the latest issue of 'modern painters') that there was a new documetary on Sally Mann coming out.
Anybody know more on this? It´s called 'what remains' just like her last(?) book and exhibition.
From the post in the link that follows it sound an awful lot like the blood ties movie...could it be a rerelease or remake or is it an actual new docu that shows some of the fottage from blood ties(like the scene whit Virginia in the water). The lenght doesn´t add up. Blood ties was ~29min and what remains seem to be 85min

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28649

Sorry that I don´t include more info, but I don´t have any and I´m abit pressed for time to google for more. :(

Love,
racoon.
sodepetahi

Re: [REL] What Remains (2005) Sally Mann [US]

Post by sodepetahi »   0 likes

Just to let people know that this is being shown on UK television BBC4 if anyone wants to tape i t tonight at 10pm
kev
Site Admin

Post by kev »   0 likes

sodepetahi wrote:Just to let people know that this is being shown on UK television BBC4 if anyone wants to tape i t tonight at 10pm

:pray Someone, PLEASE....

kev. (GEEZE times like THIS, I wish I lived in the UK!! ;) )
Debaser

Post by Debaser »   0 likes

I’m in the UK and have access to all the channels inc BBC4, as well as a DVD recorder.

Let me know if it’s on again and ill record it for you.

I didn’t see this request highlighted yesterday, so completely missed it.
infiniter

Post by infiniter »   0 likes

I've seen a big part of it yesterday (the reception of BBC4 on Astra2 is a bit choppy, so I didn't record it) and it was sort of a recent docu. I stopped watching it, because it went too boring. Means, you see her kids only on the photos we all know and now that they are grown to adults we see them in interviews. Else there were some halfnaked men (*shudder*) running around. Not really what I wanted to see.

All in all, it was boring and much less than expected. Sorry.
sprocket

Post by sprocket »   0 likes

I too saw most of it and it was boring. Her latest photographic work was of close ups of dead peoples faces.
FLL

Post by FLL »   42 likes

I can *easily* see why many would see this as boring, especially if you are expecting a documentary similar to "Blood Ties". Blood Ties was directly focused on her "Immediate Family" portraits and the controversy they caused and was very OT. What Remains was filmed by the same director, but is much more of a biography, told by an introspective Sally Mann herself, and is much slower paced.

We meet her children as adults, we hear her tell how she met her husband, we see her visit her mother in her childhood home and reminisce about her father. We see her creative process as she takes several different styles of photographs using different photographic techniques, for example glass plates as was done 150 years ago. The new exhibition she is preparing for is completely different than the work we have seen from her previously, it focuses on death. It was inspired by witnessing a death at the end of a police chase, and encouraged by her thoughts about the mortality of her husband who suffers from Muscular Dystrophy. Some of the photographs are normal, some are macabre.

But I liked this documentary. It sets a mood and paints a portrait of the photographer herself. There are a few minutes of FLM OT content at various points, they refer to "Immediate Family" and show some of the pictures from it and video from Blood Ties. There's relatively little new OT if you've seen Blood Ties (which, incidentally, is included as an extra on the DVD.)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483836/

[Image]

My rip.

Like this post to see ed2k links  [700.27 Mb]
Amadeus

Post by Amadeus »   0 likes

Thanks FLL.

abel

Post by abel »   0 likes

Looks great, I´m great fan of S. Mann. Thanks FLL for posting and Amadeus for trailer!
Quickone

Post by Quickone »   0 likes

Thanks been wanting this for awhile :)